Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always looking for a new hobby. I decided to make a holster myself for my glock 26. The stitching looks like a 4 year old did it, but other than that I'm extremely happy with it! I think the finish looks nice and it's pretty dang comfy to wear also! I'm going to learn me something about stitching and get to making some more for my other firearms.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
hey dont put yourself down about the stitching thats actually pretty good for a first try

·
Banned
437 Posts
Looks pretty dang nice, very comfy and secure.

Keep in mind that this is GT, so brace yourself for the one or two negative comments, instead of actual constructive criticism. Remember that, as in welding, stitching is quite well good enough, if it works. Life is a learning experience, and I'll say that your first step was quite a good one. Now, why can't the little head add a "thumbs up" emoticon? I'd post one, if there was one.

·
Gen4 BETATester
5,297 Posts
the stitching don't look bad at all for a first try and if its comfortable and secure then =) i say 100% success. Plus practice will make perfect.

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
the stitching don't look bad at all for a first try and if its comfortable and secure then =) i say 100% success. Plus practice will make perfect.
Agreed.. as said by TenMil... I'm sure the peanut gallery will probably come along and will talk about their expert skills of holster making, despite never making one.. ;)

I think it looks great for a first try.

IGF

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I'm always looking for a new hobby. I decided to make a holster myself for my glock 26. The stitching looks like a 4 year old did it, but other than that I'm extremely happy with it! I think the finish looks nice and it's pretty dang comfy to wear also! I'm going to learn me something about stitching and get to making some more for my other firearms.

Looks good! How did you do your stitching? If you have any questions, I will be more than glad to give you some help.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well the one I would make would be better than that but...

That looks great! If that's your first one you are definately on the right track. I have purchased holsters that didn't fit the gun that well. Keep up the good work!:wavey:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, fellas. The stitching is definitely functional, so I'm happy with it. I can cut the stitches and redo them when I learn more. I was really happy with how the leather mold came out. It was really a pretty fun learning experience for me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
your weapon looks right a home and that's all that matters. BTW, nice work!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good! How did you do your stitching? If you have any questions, I will be more than glad to give you some help.
I did kind of a looping stitch that I probably just made up. I went over two holes and then back one hole underneath. It turned into a cosmetic problem when I came up on sharp turns.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I did kind of a looping stitch that I probably just made up. I went over two holes and then back one hole underneath. It turned into a cosmetic problem when I came up on sharp turns.
Start out with something like this...
It will help you space your stitches evenly.

$19.99

Then, use one of these to make your stitches. It will actually create a lock stitch. Just follow the instructions.

$9.99

Molding and boneing is actually much harder than stitching. You already have a good start on that, so just keep at it.

One suggestion, in the pics, it looks like you have the face(outer panel) completely molded to meet the back panel which is flat. It you adjust this and put a bit of contour on the back panel, it will tuck the holster tighter to your side. My rule of thumb is to try to get the panels to meet at the center of the slide and trigger guard. You will be amazed how much of a difference that will make regarding printing.

Scott

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Start out with something like this...
It will help you space your stitches evenly.

$19.99

Then, use one of these to make your stitches. It will actually create a lock stitch. Just follow the instructions.

$9.99

Molding and boneing is actually much harder than stitching. You already have a good start on that, so just keep at it.

One suggestion, in the pics, it looks like you have the face(outer panel) completely molded to meet the back panel which is flat. It you adjust this and put a bit of contour on the back panel, it will tuck the holster tighter to your side. My rule of thumb is to try to get the panels to meet at the center of the slide and trigger guard. You will be amazed how much of a difference that will make regarding printing.

Scott
Appreciate the info! I watched a video of a guy using that tool to make the lock stitch. I will probably go that route next time. I honestly had just put so much money into supplies already by the time I saw that tool, that I decided to cut a corner. :whistling:

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
It's always about having the right tools. LOL It really looks good for a first effort. You should see the first holster I ever made. I would be embarrassed for anyone to see it. :rofl:

·
G21sf .45 ACP
259 Posts
looks damn good man, keep it up!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man that really looks good to me. How long did it take for you to make it?
I did it over the course of a few days in my spare time. Probably four or five hours of actual work went into it. There's some additional drying time involved, both for the dye and for the wet molding.

·
Banned
437 Posts
These jokers keep on proving me wrong, with their accompanying compliments. I've gotta keep reminding myself that this subforum is about the civil exchange of reasonable ideas, and not the Jerry Springer Show GNG. :supergrin:

·
Retired USAF-SP
181 Posts
Outstanding job. It's not going to look like a Galco on the first try but, if you make a few more I think you'd have in "sewn" up. (pun intended).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts