My first Hi Point !!!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by northslope66, Sep 22, 2018.

1. northslope66

northslope66

carbine that is .....been wanting one for awhile and found one on local armslist for 160 bucks . went and looked at it , the owner was county police officer . it was well maintained had not been fired much and came with a sling , a decent low buck sightmark reflex sight and a flash suppressor. only one mag tho. its the 995ts . alot heavier than i thought it would be . im itchin to get out and shoot it . never heard anything bad about these at all , and got it for basically half price too. ive heard the Promag 15 rounders are hit and miss unless you clean up the followers and tweak the feed lips and void the lifetime warranty but not too concerned about it , picked up a few and gonna try them out and see what needs to be done . anyone have experience with these?

TheDreadnought likes this.
  2. Adjuster

Adjuster

3. bac1023

bac1023

I’ve heard mostly good things about the carbine.

MO Fugga likes this.
  4. CajunBass

CajunBass

I had one that I liked quite a bit, but ended up selling it, just because I'm not a long-gun guy. The couple of times I did shoot it, it just chugged along steady as could be.

5. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

The 10mm may be in my future. Not much point in an AR build or whatever at that price.

6. China boy

China boy

Everyone seems to give good reviews to the Hipoint carbines. I have some Promags for my LCP that are flawless and had some for my AR9 that sucked too bad. I hope yours work like they did for my LCP.

7. AZson

AZson

I have the 40. But I want the 10MM

8. michael_b

michael_b Elementary, my dear Watson.

Same here. Typical gun counter storyC, guy comes up window shopping and starts chatting and ends up spending an hour at the counter with me.

He absolutely loves his. No issues, decent accuracy, he couldn’t say enough good things about them. He added the extended made an an aftermarket stock that he says mimics the look of a Beretta Storm or whatever it’s called.

9. Majestic9C1

Majestic9C1 You're Going to Love my Nuts

Hi-points are like fat chicks..... yada yada.. you know the analogy lol

MO Fugga and michael_b like this.
  10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

About five years ago I bought a Hi Point Carbine Model 4595-semi auto cal for $340 just to see if Hi Point was as bad as "everyone says".

Actually it is a right nice gun, especially for such a low price.

Hi Point.jpg

MO Fugga and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  11. B C

B C

12. SomeDay

SomeDay

A friend of mine has the 40 cal version. Heavy bugger, but fun to shoot and accurate!

13. Current Resident

Current Resident

Good for you, Enjoy that and have fun

14. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I had one and it worked well.
    Got to love their warranty.

15. eddief4

eddief4

16. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

Hi Point carbines are fairly nice for the money. Fun shooters for sure. Honestly, I worked at a public gun range for years and every Hi Point pistol that came through ran well and were decently accurate. The pistols are too big and bulky and I have no need to buy one but, in my experience they seem to be pretty reliable. Congrats on the carbine

17. BattleBornCustm

BattleBornCustm

I recently bought a Hi-Point C9 as a mold gun per customer request. It is the most hideous thing I've ever seen. I have no ambition to ever put a round through it!

18. pblanc

pblanc

I have a 9 mm TS995. They are fun plinkers and reasonably accurate and the price is very attractive if that is your goal.

With the low price comes some drawbacks, obviously. These are not huge issues if the carbine is intended as a range toy.

The biggest limitation is the magazines. The Hi-Point magazines are limited to 10 rounds and are spotty in quality. I have had several that have had feed issues requiring some work on the feed lips, and one that had to be sent back. Unless you buy the 20 round RedBall magazines or take a chance on the Promags (which do void the warranty) you are limited to the Hi-Point 10 rounders.

In addition, the operating handle is fixed on the left side, cannot be moved to the right, and is awkward to use IME. The bolt does lock open on empty mags pretty reliably, but if you want to lock the bolt open without a magazine, as to clear the weapon, the knurled collar on the "charging handle" (actually a hex-headed machine screw that looks like it was purchased at Home Depot) has to be pushed into a cut-out circle on the dust cover. To release the open bolt, the collar has to be pulled out as the handle is pulled back. The bolt inside the charging handle is always unscrewing itself under recoil. The safety is a thin piece of stamped metal, hard to find without looking, and I cannot disengage it without releasing my firing grip. The magazine catch release button works OK however.

Magazines can be tricky to insert quickly as there is some sort of shelf inside the magwell that the magazine can snag on if not inserted exactly square and plumb to the receiver. Trigger quality is pretty mediocre, but no worse than you would expect for a carbine in this price range. Take-down of the carbine is a bit involved and somewhat of a pain. The iron sights are rather crudely designed but actually work reasonably well.

My carbine has had reliability issues, mainly failures to feed which I believe to be primarily magazine-related. I have found that I fairly often fail to chamber the first round from a full magazine when releasing the open bolt. To release the open bolt, the collar of the charging handle has to be pulled out from a recess cut-out as I mentioned, but the bolt also has to be pulled fully back to be able to pick up the first round. I find it somewhat easier to chamber the first round from a closed bolt position.

I recently bought a Ruger PCC 9 mm carbine which is much nicer, somewhat more accurate, with a better trigger and much better controls. It also works with Glock magazines which is a huge plus, has a Picatinny rail milled into the top of the receiver (unlike the polymer rail screwed onto the top of the dust cover on the TS995), is much easier to take-down, and is a snap to clean the barrel due to the take-down feature. The Ruger was not quite twice as expensive, but worth the price difference IMO. I will be looking to sell the Hi-Point soon.