My first handgun.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by chrisnkcmo, Feb 15, 2010.

1. chrisnkcmo

chrisnkcmo Takamine Newbie

hey everyone. nice to see you all. chris in kansas city here.

picked up my new G23 on saturday, brought it home, cleaned and lubed it, and took it to the range.

while cleaning and lubing on sunday, i went to pull out the firing pin safety and it was gone! i have looked everywhere and cant find it. i had to order another one. it was only 3.95.

i absolutely love my new glock. and before i even held it in my hand, i felt like an expert because of all of the great info here on GT.

when you look at my targets...keep in mind that the last time i fired a hand gun, i was about 10 and my uncle was holding it while i pulled the trigger.(he said to trust him, the other guy had it coming). other than that i havent had the opportunity to fire a pistol.
    so, if anyone wants to troubleshoot my shot, go ahead. i have the adjustable sights too.

thanks everyone, and take care
    chris

Attached Files:

2. GLOCK MONSTER

GLOCK MONSTER

sweet pick-up ! I love my glock 23 indeed .

3. rich n

rich n

Welcome!Nice pick up, but one question, why did you feel the need to strip the frame to clean it?

4. deadmonkey90

deadmonkey90 Pro Bass Angler

please please please practice you aim, No offense your targets are bad. I understand first time shooting in a long time, just practice often.

practice proper grip (youtube todd jarrett).
    practice dry firing and make sure your sight stay stationary while dry firing.
    Also often over looked is breath control. Its like weight lifting if you dont breath properly you will tire quickly. Instead you wont be focused.
    Never anticipate recoil.
    use just the very tip of your finger to pull gently squeeze that trigger back, instead of a fast jerking motion.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  5. Guntrainer

Guntrainer

Dear Chris

Good choice!

Without sounding like a know-it-all, I have trained folks for many years.

Keep on training, dry fire, and search for tips to improve handgun accuracy.

Make sure any one giving you advice can demonstrate their techniques. This is not going to happen on an Internet forum.

Where do you live?

6. randyc74

randyc74 Custom Holster Maker

Chris,
    Congrats on getting your new G-23. You picked a winner there. In looking at your targets, I surmise you may possibly be putting too much of your trigger finger on the trigger and you may possibly be anticipating recoil causing you to pull your shots to the right of center.
    -Try placing your finger on the trigger between the tip and the first joint on the meaty part of your finger.
    - UNLOAD and dryfire your pistol daily. Practice trigger control.
    You may consider spending some time with a professional instructo
    Enjoy that G-23

Randy

7. MistoGators

MistoGators 0331 - Guns Up

The 19 and the 23 are just about as perfect as you could get imo.
    Lol I had a similar experience 2 days after I bought my Kel Tec P3AT. I took it apart to quickly clean it after a trip to the range, and the assembly pin went flying...somewhere.

8. chrisnkcmo

chrisnkcmo Takamine Newbie

thank you everyone for the feedback. i live in the plaza/westport area of kc mo. :wavey:
    i took the slide apart because that is what i do. i want to know everything about my weapon. i wasnt cleaning the firingpin/safety/extractor, i just wanted to learn my weapon.
    i have been dry firing non-stop. most of the shots you see there are somewhat rapid. my very first shot from my very first gun...taking my time, is the hole you see center mass in the target on the right. my brand new gun, i went to the range to have fun. but next time will be actual target practice.

9. KinderGlocken

KinderGlocken

A .22 pistol would help you so much!

10. dc2integra

dc2integra

sweet the glock 23 is a great gun

11. deadmonkey90

deadmonkey90 Pro Bass Angler

He is right, it really helps with the whole training and accuracy aspect of shooting handguns.

12. bac1023

bac1023