close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My first handgun, Glock 17 OD.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WuffTheWolfy, Feb 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. WuffTheWolfy

WuffTheWolfy New Glock Lover

Yup, and I love it.

Went to a local gun store, always had an interest in Glocks, asked him what 17s he had and he showed me, I saw the olive drab and said.... I NEED!

Haha, ANYWHO! I got a few questions if you guys don't mind helping a first time gun owner/glock owner.

Cleaning! I've watched a few youtube videos on how to clean a glock, think I got it down lol, but tools!

I saw a Winchester brozen bore brush, etc, set in Wal-Mart.. how would that do? Or should I just stick with the nylon brushes?

And as for cleaning and oil.

I saw the Hoppes Elite 9 Gun Cleaner, How's that stuff?
    And the Hoppes Elite 9 Gun Oil? Any good?

I read a lot of "Don't clean you're Glock too often!" But I just can't imagine going to shoot it and then come home with it a little dirty and leave it! It's too nice!

Well... Any tips, suggestions, anything would be helpful!

Loving the Glock!

2. Overkill338

Overkill338 9x19 + 1x6 = 200 @ 1250

The only "tool" you need is a 3/16" punch. or you can purchase a Glock Armorers tool for about $12. I really don't clean mine too often. There is no harm in cleaning it too often, just make sure its oiled is the biggy.

Hoppes works great. I use Klean Bore. Some hear preach CLP, but I've seen that stuff turn to sludge.

Congrats on your new purchase !

3. rsagona1

rsagona1 Hello

4. rsagona1

rsagona1 Hello

Oh, I have a Glock 22 (not OD) but I do love OD's! My next Glock will be a 17 and in OD, just like yours.

5. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

Nice choice i carry a G33 in OD i love the od models , CLP Break free is the cleaner i use and Cleanzoil is what i use for lube , I clean mine 1-2 times a week even when i dont shoot it , I have never heard of "Dont clean it to much" it wont hurt your gun , I would just field strip it and clean any dirt or grime collected from carrying no need for tools you dont need to completely dis-assemble to clean , I'd clean it after ever time you shoot it i never let residue sit on mine after shooting , Wal-mart cleaning brush's are fine all you need to do it run it in there back and forth a few times , All your trying to do is clean it you can hold it up to the light an see that there is nothing left in the barrel , Practice with it a lot you will love it i used to hate glocks i bad mouthed them all the time until i picked one up and started shooting it then i understood the hype an i wouldnt have anything else for my EDC like glock says "Perfection".

6. WuffTheWolfy

[​IMG] It's not a great pic but it's all I got and I'm not about to wake the woman this late to take pics of my gun lol. She already says I'm like a kid in a candy store with it.

7. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

Very nice looking gun you got there!

8. WuffTheWolfy

Thanks! I got a feeling it won't be my last.

9. I.Hate.Glocks.

I.Hate.Glocks.

Congrats on the OD 17!! My next Glock will be OD.

10. voyager4520

voyager4520

Welcome and congrats! A G23 OD was my first almost a year ago.

The nylon brush will be fine as long as you use a good cleaner. The cleaner should only be used in the bore(the inside) of the barrel. Everything else should be cleaned with lightly oiled patches/rags or clean dry patches/rags. Don't get oil, solvent, cleaner, other liquids, or foreign debris into the firing pin channel or other internals of the slide. Same with the breech face of the slide(the face with the hole in it that the striker comes through to strike the primer of a chambered round) and the magazines. The breech face, magazines, and plastic frame should be cleaned with clean dry patches/rags. You may use a nylon brush on the breech face as long as you point the field stripped slide with the muzzle toward the ground so that no debris goes into the firing pin channel.

To clean the bore of the barrel, run a solvent(or cleaner) soaked patch through it from the chamber end to the muzzle end. Anything you run through the barrel, especially the bore brush, run in from the chamber end to the muzzle end and don't reverse the direction of the bore brush inside the barrel. Don't let any metal cleaning rods contact the inside of the barrel(especially steel rods). Once the solvent/cleaner in the barrel has soaked for a few minutes, put a little bit of solvent/cleaner on the bore brush and run it through the barrel a few times to break up all the gunk that has been loosened by the solvent/cleaner. Then let it sit a while longer to let the solvent/cleaner break up more gunk. Then run the brush through again, and finally run clean dry patches through the barrel until they come out clean. Now let the barrel completely dry.

Once you've cleaned everything and made sure the barrel is completely dry, apply oil or other lubricant according to the instruction manual. Anywhere the instruction manual says to use a drop of oil/lubricant, use a small drop.

Some info in videos:
    Glock Do's and Donts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl_2ykakOgU
    Glock Lubrication(in this video he uses WAY too much lubricant, you should use a small drop, but he shows each area that needs lubrication especially at 3:25 into the video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc
    Pistol Cleaning by NutnFancy, the Glock Example(he uses a bronze bore brush, which isn't necessary, your nylon one will be fine. he also uses grease in the slide rails which isn't necessary but a matter of preference): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fx0-hMFako

Some other tips: Be safe! Wear hearing protection and eye protection when shooting and follow all of the rules of firearm safety at all times! Make sure everytime you reassemble the gun from field strip, even if you didn't take the guide rod or barrel out of the slide, that you re-seat the base of the guide rod into its notch in the barrel lug(it pops out slightly on its own when disassembling). Never shoot reloads or unjacketed lead in your Glock. The Glock barrel has polygonal rifling, which leaves no where for lead buildup to escape and shooting unjacketed lead can cause dangerous pressure levels in the barrel. Don't shoot reloads because your warranty doesn't cover it and you don't know the quality of safety of those reloads unless you did them yourself and are very experienced in doing so. Also, read the instruction manual that came with your Glock at least twice(every single word in it) before you do anything. I read mine four times in a row before even handling it. Don't ever use a steel brush of any kind anywhere on a Glock!

You should've also gotten a polymer cleaning rod with your Glock. The bore brush screws into it. I think both have different threading from the average gun cleaning tools.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  11. glocknineteen

glocknineteen

Dude congrats on the purchase. My fiance thinks I am like a kid in a candy store too lol! Just bought my black G19 a week ago. Now I am hankering for an OD Glock as well.

12. James Dean

James Dean

Congrats. OD looks great

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Hoppes is good. I've tried everything, but I still like Hoppes although I have different prioducts for different guns and parts. I use hot water and dish soap for most Glock parts.

Get a 9mm boresnake ($14-15 at Wal Mart) - generally a good cleaning tool, but really, really good on Glock barrels, since they clean easier than most other barrels. With the Boresnake you won't need brushes, eyelets, patches, rods or any other bore cleaning tool, just a snake.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  14. WuffTheWolfy

A Boresnake eh? That does seem easier. But is it as fun? lol

15. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

16. Nicko

Nicko GTDS FOR LIFE

Nice OD. Congrats

17. tydefan05

tydefan05

Enjoy and start saving. If you don't already you'll want to buy another, and another etc.

18. tydefan05

tydefan05

I "pre-clean" with a brush and patches to get extra mileage out of my boresnakes. Patches are cheap so I don't want the initial "junk" that comes off on my boresnake but I'm "frugal" some say :whistling:

19. Bruce M

Bruce M

20. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

Welcome aboard! Great find on the OD 17.