close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My first handgun and it's a Glock 20 (mini review with pics)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RL1, Dec 19, 2004.

1. RL1

RL1

Nearly one year after I took my Possession and Acquisition Licence (Canadaian PAL) exam I FINALLY got my first handgun…a Glock 20 (10mm). It arrived yesterday courtesy of Brushey’s [a dealer in Northern Ontario, Canada] and Jamie [a fellow forumite on another forum]who was ultra nice enough to clean and lube it for me at no charge and without my asking…thanks again!)…great service!

My choice of a Glock as a first handgun is quite funny in a way…I have never been a Glock fan (especially based on handling them in stores) until I fired one! I soon realized that anytime I went shooting with a group of people and there was a Glock around I would reach for it. I just like everything about the way they shoot…they point very well for me (I can close my eyes, bring the gun up to shooting position and see the sights when I open my eyes again), have low recoil, the controls are within easy reach etc. etc…as for why I picked 10mm...well, I like "exotic" things and the 10mm is Glock's most powerful gun :)

Now onto the pics…

Here’s the usual Glock box

[​IMG]

And the star of the show (next to a custom Pat Crawford Kasper Fighting Folder framelock in Bodycote Tungsten DLC…for you knife lovers :) )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another compare pic, this time with an RJ Martin Kwaiken

[​IMG]

Now onto the range…I tried a few different types of ammo…Remington UMC 180gr., Winchester Black Talon 200gr., Federal Hydra-Shock 180gr. and Winchester Subsonic 180gr.

The UMC had by far the biggest muzzle flash, recoil, and bang…in fact, the muzzle flash was ENORMOUS…we tried to capture it on film…this is the best we could do and let me tell you, this pic doesn’t do it justice!

[​IMG]

While the UMC put on the biggest show, I did my worst shooting with that round. The Hydra-shocks were much lower in recoil than I anticipated (certainly way lower than the UMC) as were the Black Talons. The sub-sonic ammo was the easiest to shoot and I got my best results with that round (most of the hits in the black pictured below were made with the sub-sonic ammo). All in all I would say that the Black Talons were my favourite round…they have a little bit of an exotic appeal, feel good to shoot in terms of recoil, and can yield fairly good results (for me)…now if only they did not cost CAD$17 for a box of 20…BTW, notice the bullet in the pic? It hit the backstop 20+ yards away and bounced it's way back to the firing line!

[​IMG]

And as a bonus pic, my Benelli M4 and Mad Dog Panther :)

[​IMG]

RL

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

3. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

LOVE THE REVIEW. Its bound to make many a Glock 20 craving shooters DROOOL.

Cheers!

4. RL1

RL1

Thank you ;f

5. Alan Antopol

Alan Antopol

RL1,

You have fine taste in blades, too. ^c ^c ^c

Wanna post your collection of paintings, also?

Happy holiday! Alan

6. RL1

RL1

Thanks.

Paintings? not sure what you mean...I used to be into watches then knives and now guns :)

RL

7. edgraham

edgraham

Could you tell where you got that last knife, the one with the Benelli, I think you said it was a Mad Dog Panther. Also if you don't mind, how much did it run you money wise? Thank you.

8. RL1

RL1

The Mad Dog is custom made by Kevin "Mad Dog" MacClung. It costs US$1,000 and takes a good 9 months to get one.

You can try http://www.mdtactical.com/knives.htm

It comes with a Dundee rig (back sheath)

[​IMG]

RL

9. edgraham

edgraham

10. FireCaptain

FireCaptain

11. Alan Antopol

Alan Antopol

My sense of humor, which caused one former colleague to tell me to "Get a 2nd day job!"

Your taste in knives is excellent enough - the photos are good, also, that the paintings you would collect would be really worth viewing.

Happy Holiday! Alan

12. RL1

RL1

Oh...thanks :)

Actually, I am using an SLR and having them scanned so I am at the mercy of the photo developers..they look better in real life :) I have been meaning to get a digi-cam...but that would be a knife or gun (or lots of ammo) so...

Thanks and happy holidays to you too.

RL

13. thejackbull45

thejackbull45

Is it legal to carry a knife like that large,dundee style or not?

14. RL1

RL1

Theoretically it would be legal in Canada if carried in the open but in practice you would probably get into trouble if you were walking around like that in downtown Toronto. That pic of me was taken at a knife show so in that context it didn't raise any eyebrows (in fact, there were several police on scene who were more interested in seeing my knife than in getting me in trouble)

RL