Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just picked up a canon A620, must say I'm really enjoying it.

how do you think these look for a beginner?

·
Sláinte !
1,098 Posts
Pretty roses. If you shoot it again with the lens (close to) wide open, the background will blur out nicely.

(nevermind, I just found out the A620 is a point and shoot).

:beer: :beer:

·
Registered
1 Posts
you can shoot in macro mode with that point and shoot. That will blur the background or black it out all together, depending on how much light you have and the flash setting. You should be able to get up to just a few inches away for a really nice close-up.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got it 2 days ago, still havent figured out how to get into macro mode, have some lettering on my nagant i want to get a close up of.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Originally posted by Trebuchet
Pretty roses. If you shoot it again with the lens (close to) wide open, the background will blur out nicely.
(nevermind, I just found out the A620 is a point and shoot).
I guess aperture priority, shutter priority, full manual exposure, and manual focus don't count for creative controls these days unless someone blesses it with an "SLR" moniker. The magic of words. :shakehead:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Originally posted by m2hmghb
how do you think these look for a beginner?
I like the first photo quite a bit because it shows the ambience of the place (and quite charming it is). The second is too isolated and at the same time not isolated enough (doesn't really show the rose by itself, but loses the fence). I would say keep the first one and work with macros. Also, start playing with postprocessing. A620 produces good material for further work.

Here are a couple of flower macros from A610 (pretty much the same camera). They are not the best macros in the world by any stretch, but give you an idea how easy it is to get decent close-up shots from it.

http://www.pbase.com/hwyhobo/image/60640345
http://www.pbase.com/hwyhobo/image/1789885

·
Sláinte !
1,098 Posts
Originally posted by hwyhobo
I guess aperture priority, shutter priority, full manual exposure, and manual focus don't count for creative controls these days unless someone blesses it with an "SLR" moniker. The magic of words. :shakehead:
:panties:

Calm down. I didn't read the spec sheet for the camera, just looked at a picture on a website. And FWIW, I am aware of non-SLR cameras with creative controls.

Back to the original post, I agree with you about the 2nd one lacking a focal point. The 1rst one is "nice" in that it gives a feeling of the space, but IMHO needs to be cropped, and re-centered.

:beer: :beer:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Originally posted by Trebuchet
I didn't read the spec sheet for the camera, just looked at a picture on a website.
That's what I was pointing out. Hope I didn't come across too strong. It's unfortunately a common knee-jerk reaction to non-SLR cameras, and perhaps my reaction was skewed by having seen such a response too many times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.