My First Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jaredg17, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Jaredg17

Jaredg17

I've finally got on board, and picked up my first Glock today. I bought a brand new Glock 17, gen 4, solid gray (frame and slide). I bought it from an individual who owned it for a week, during which time he switched the factory sights for Trijicon night sights. He also put on s grip plug, extended slide lock, and Talon granulate grips. All original parts included, case and 3 mags as well. I paid $550, which I think is a pretty good deal, gun looks pretty sweet.
    My questions, being new to Glock, are as follows:
    1) Did I get a pretty good deal? I want to say yes, but it's too late to turn back now.
    2) In addition to the current mods, what would be the most recommended mods? Nothing too crazy, I may occasionally use it as a ccw when it gets colder outside. I don't want to pimp out the Glock is my point.
    3) what are some good holster options-- OWB & IWB-- I know a 17 isn't the most easily concealed Glock around
    4) Are there any specific things I should do for breaking in the gun. I know I'm a newbie

D-GLOCK17 likes this.
  2. Terlingueno

Terlingueno

#2- Shoot a couple thousand rounds, you will most likely find you don't need to do anything

#3- Get a Milt Sparks Summer Special II from Brownells, you won't be sorry

#4- Shoot a couple thousand rounds.

plp likes this.

3. domindart

domindart glocker

$550 is the top dollar for a new glock. W the upgrades you faired well. I think the night sights cost around 150. Not sure.

Only other mod I would suggest, that others commonly get, is steel guide rod.

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

4. Den499

Den499

change the trigger, check out Glock triggers .com

domindart likes this.
  5. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on the G17.

domindart and Jaredg17 like this.
  6. jbglock

jbglock Manos Arriba

1. I don't believe in paying for other folks mods. I'd check and make sure the grips aren't hiding damage. The Gen4 texture is very easily damaged. Those little dots that is. If you like night sights though I wouldn't call it a bad deal.
    2. What I recommend is based on my own preferences. I'd recommend you do nothing initially other than enjoy the gun. With use you might see things you feel should be done.
    3. Safariland. I've never regretted buying one of their holsters. Plus you can get a suede lined ALS (security) holster brand new shipped to your door for around 65 bucks. I'd check eBay first though. I got a brand new Safariland duty holster once for 10 bucks with free shipping off of eBay. :)
    4. Shoot it. Glocks are good to go out of the box imo.

Valmet and Jaredg17 like this.
  7. yfdcap

yfdcap

550 for the Gray gun with extras is a good deal. I would buy it for that and I get Blue label prices. I like the colors. Your gun is good to go as is. Shoot and enjoy and welcome aboard.

Jaredg17 likes this.
  8. como0104

como0104

I purched a glock 22 and installed the 9mm barel that came with it
    its a shooter. I reload

Jaredg17 likes this.
  9. Surtur

Surtur

10. Jaredg17

Jaredg17

I will try to post pics later today, I was trying to figure out how to yesterday but was unsuccessful

11. GlockManDrew

GlockManDrew

Sweet, post a pic!

Jaredg17 likes this.
  12. FLGuy

FLGuy

I think you got a pretty good deal. Now, go out to the range and put 500 rounds through it!

Jaredg17 likes this.
  13. PaLEOjd

PaLEOjd

No need to go spend money on an aftermarket recoil assembly. The Glock OEM recoil spring works fine.
    You start running into trouble and having issues with aftermarket parts. Stick to OEM and you won't have any issues. Most of the aftermarket stuff only lightens your wallet.

plp, Will Beararms and domindart like this.
  14. Bruce M

Bruce M

Enjoy your new Glock.

Well you have a grip plug. There isn't much more useful and critical than that. You could shoot it a bit. And see if by chance there is a manual somewhere in the case if that came with the purchase.
    I am not sure if I would settle for a stainless guide rod There are other metals out there that that seem to have a little more prestige than stainless steel. Titanium is certainly a choice and platinum has a certain aura but I tend to recommend one of the metals further down on the table... Palladium or Yttrium have a certain charm and prestige.

On the other hand the one that comes with the gun has the others for reliability and economy too.

15. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Congrats on the 17. I agree whole-heartedly with many posters thoughts but particularly with jbglock's 2nd point...enjoy it. Mod as you feel the need to, I wouldn't go out and do anything to your 17 because someone told you to. As for IWB holsters it's kinda the same thing depending on how you dress and how you're able to ccw. There are lots of good holster companies out there and ma y have already been named. Lots of us have boxes full of holsters accumulated in the "quest" for the right one. I usually ccw a G-19 in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck IWB. I've used it for nearly two years and have been very happy with it (and they're only like $32-33). But you'll likely need to try a few out to really land on what you like best.

But don't get too hung up on "stuff" at this point, put some of that $ in ammo and practice, practice, practice.

16. Jaredg17

Jaredg17

17. Jaredg17

Jaredg17

18. Jaredg17

Jaredg17

19. Jaredg17

Jaredg17

20. Jaredg17

Jaredg17