close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My first Glock - G34 Gen4

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by chipinoh, Feb 10, 2012.

1. chipinoh

chipinoh

Hey guys,

Just got back with my first ever Glock. Once upon a time, I was a 1911 guy. I've never owned a 9mm until buying a KelTec PF-9 a few weeks ago with the intention of finally getting a CCW permit. Prior to that purchase, I hadn't shot a handgun in over a decade.

"Dang," I thought, "Maybe it's time to get back into shooting for fun!"

The PF-9, however, will never really be all that "fun" to shoot. It is what it is. I'll practice with it regularly, but it's no leisurely stroll in the park with a picnic lunch.

So after a little consideration, I ordered a G34 Gen4. Being left-handed, the reversible mag release seemed like a great idea, and the extended slide release is easy to release with my left index finger. Plus, it should shoot like a dream, right?

The test-fire date is 1/30/12, so I'm sure it has all the latest & greatest Gen4 parts.

Can't wait to shoot it! I'll be sure to post a follow up to let you know my first impressions.

2. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Wow! That's one heck of a first Glock...congrats on the new addition! I broke mine in (same thing as yours) with the crappiest ammo I could ever put through anything I have, and it performed flawlessly. I have had the best performance from the 124 gr. rounds so far, but it shoots everything under the sun with no complaints or malfunctions.

Enjoy your new G34!

3. Bruce M

Bruce M

Hope you enjoy your G34.

4. bac1023

bac1023

5. bigleaf

bigleaf

Just spent this afternoon practicing with my own Gen 3 G34 and I do believe you'll like yours.

If you haven't seen "Man on Fire", starring Denzel Washington and his G34, hop on to Netflix now and pop some corn. Pure G34 love, there. Uh, huh.

6. f350fiver

f350fiver

7. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

My first glock was also a G34.. Gen 3 though.. I loved it.

8. chipinoh

chipinoh

Updated with range report:

Shot about 30 rounds of Federal 115 FMJ with two malfunctions. I switched to Remington UMC 115 FMJ and fired 50 rounds trouble-free. The 34 is an absolute joy to shoot - very mild recoil, beautiful trigger, and fits my hands nicely. It was a bit of an adjustment, as this is my first double-stack pistol. I would've shot more, but it was pretty dang cold in Ohio today...:shocked:

So I'm wondering, should I just steer clear of the Federal? Should I store it with the slide locked back for a few days? Or, should I just chalk it up to a break-in period?

Thanks in advance.

9. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Just to make sure check what RSA and ejector you have. Federal, though it is considered weak ammo, should feed just like any other round.

10. chipinoh

chipinoh

RSA 0-4-2; ejector 30274.

11. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Not trying to question your shooting technique, but I would personally keep trying federal champion ammo and see how it works out in the longer run.

12. KarlThomas

KarlThomas

The cheap way of breaking in the recoil spring would be to simply rack the slide hundreds of times and see if that does anything. Simply leaving the slide locked back probably won't do anything. It will probably work itself out. I would keep shooting federal until the problem goes away. It's cheap. If you plan on using it for home defense, test out some quality hollow points, which should almost surely work.

Congrats on the new gun! That's the one glock that I haven't owned that I would love to have. :needspics:

13. chipinoh

chipinoh

It's totally stock, but I'm happy to oblige!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  14. chipinoh

chipinoh

Second outing was with 100 rounds Remington UMC JHP 115 I happened to inherit from a buddy. Shot all 100 rounds flawlessly. I shot a 4" group of 17 at 7 yards, and quite frankly, I'm not that good of a shot!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  15. #5xbr

#5xbr

from a g34 owner -more than acceptable for h.d. good job and buy