Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Brew Crew
29,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy's BIL wants to buy a gun from me tomorrow. He's a good guy, and I know he doesn't have a criminal record but my question is a bill of sale good enough? He signs it and so do I.

Never done this before and your guys input is appreciated.

Thanks, A.J.

·
GTDS Member #49
10,103 Posts
Yes. Bill of sale with the date, serial number, ect. You can find a template on the net, or just write your own.

·
Banned
1,209 Posts
Me personally, I would rather have the firearm transferred completely out
of my name.

I sold a Sig P226 to my friend about two years ago and went to my LGS amd paid the $20 bucks to do the BRC and everything.

Just gives me that satisfaction and peace of mind.

iPhone 4

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most HONEST FFL's will tell you to write out a receipt. Person's Information, Gun Information ECT. Since there is no GUN REGISTRATION per sae, no need to pay someone to transfer the weapon. I have three FFL buddies, one is a Class III. All three have told me to write a bill of receipt.

I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY AN CAN NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE.

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
of my name.

I sold a Sig P226 to my friend about two years ago and went to my LGS amd paid the $20 bucks to do the BRC and everything.

iPhone 4
If it's through an FFL or just FTF, the ATF has NO way of tracking that until they come knocking on your door. Yellow forms are not submitted to the ATF until the business closes permanently, nor are they kept in any kind of database (unless your state mandates it). The only thing going through an FFL does is have someone else hang onto the paperwork for you.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have done a few FTF sales/trades locally and I always get a bill of sale. As mentioned above, that way you can cover your own ass incase the buyer is lying about his information.

Some people are cautious about giving their information out and that's totally understandable but I don't sell if they don't provide the info.

·
NRA Life Member
73,725 Posts
I've bought and sold lots of guns FTF, never needed any paper, other than one I bought from a Glocktalker who wanted the BS bill of sale you read about here. Normally, the only paper involved is money.

Exactly where are these firearms "in your name?"
Good question, apparently Arizona and Pennsylvania have state gun registration now...at least, according to this thread.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I've bought and sold lots of guns FTF, never needed any paper, other than one I bought from a Glocktalker who wanted the BS bill of sale you read about here. Normally, the only paper involved is money.
BINGO!

It also seems like the more people preach/stand behind 2A, the more they want to complicate ftf sales with paperwork.

I agree 100% with Bren, the only paperwork that needs to be done is with US Legal Tender.

·
Registered
18,214 Posts
of my name.

iPhone 4
Most of the time it would still come back to the first purchaser which may be you. It would not go back to him with a "check". Been there and done that. But it will make you feel better but in most states it is not necessary.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Just my opinion, but the way I see it, people can complain all they want about me requiring a bill of sale. Fact is if some dumbass uses my old firearm to commit a crime, it's my door they'll come knocking on, not theirs. If you're clean, then a BOS should be no problem. While I'd probably be cleared of wrong doing soon enough, I don't want the situation taking up anymore of my time than needed.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just my opinion, but the way I see it, people can complain all they want about me requiring a bill of sale. Fact is if some dumbass uses my old firearm to commit a crime, it's my door they'll come knocking on, not theirs. If you're clean, then a BOS should be no problem. While I'd probably be cleared of wrong doing soon enough, I don't want the situation taking up anymore of my time than needed.
Not saying i think you should or shouldnt write up a BOS. However, if someone was a criminal and planing on using it for a crime, couldnt they just show you a fake ID? In my experience, laws are only followed by law abiding citizens (not that a BOS is a law). If they do come knocing, all you have to do is tell them you sold it and that in your state a BOS is not required by law. I dont care either way, just my .02

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Not saying i think you should or shouldnt write up a BOS. However, if someone was a criminal and planing on using it for a crime, couldnt they just show you a fake ID? In my experience, laws are only followed by law abiding citizens (not that a BOS is a law). If they do come knocing, all you have to do is tell them you sold it and that in your state a BOS is not required by law. I dont care either way, just my .02
You look at DL, match face with person buying firearm. Make copy of DL and attach to BOS. If ID turns out to be fake, LE still has a face to go by and you're still better off than having nothing. No BOS is great for buyer, but puts the seller at a disadvantage should trouble arise.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm sure Bill is a great guy but friends come and friends go. You do whatever you have to do to make sure if he or anyone in his family or circle of freinds does anything wrong with that gun your A** is legally covered. I make sure that gun is now registered by the state as being there's not mine. I'm not selling a gun to anyone who is not quaified to own one. Nuff said.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.