close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My First Build

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Manimal, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Manimal

Manimal

Hello all. I am looking to build my first AR rifle and after doing some lurking I think I have found what fits my budget. Thoughts an ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/16-hammer-forged-mid-length-light-weight-rifle-kit.html

I like the spikes lower better, but that is just for the aesthetics. Is there any other reason that it would be worth the extra money over the PSA?

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-multi-forged-spider-bullet-markings-p-52.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/receivers/psa-ar15-lower.html

And then I was going to put the Magpul furniture on there as I find it cheap enough.

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

No reason I can think of to get a Spike's lower over PSA, other than whatever roll mark you prefer. If you buy the parts kit AND lower in one transaction, though, you'll have an additional excise tax on your PSA order - bear that in mind.

Don't forget to add a rear sight to the kit, as it doesn't have one selected by default.

3. Manimal

Manimal

What do you mean by excise tax? I know I have to ship the lower to an FFL, is the excise tax something more than this?

I was going to get the black MBUS as the sight selection, $50 seems to be a good price for it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  4. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

The builder of a rifle is obligated to pay an 11% federal excise tax.

When you buy a stripped lower along with parts in the same transaction , it is an indicator you are building a new rifle not just upgrading or replacing parts.

In this case, a supplier must assess the 11% federal excise tax.

Buy your lower on one transaction and shipment.

Buy your parts on another.

When you assemble the rifle, report & file the tax. ;)

5. Manimal

Manimal

So that would be a good reason to pick up the Spikes lower...

6. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

7. Patriot III

Patriot III

If I was going to use a PSA upper, and I had to choose between a PSA or Spikes stripped lower...... I'd choose the PSA. Then everything matches and the money you saves pays some shipping.

Just order your stripped lower today and order the upper and parts kit tomorrow. That solves your problem.

:wavey:

8. B.Reid

B.Reid

9. Manimal

Manimal

10. B.Reid

B.Reid

They have others with custom logos for a few dollars more.
    Just checked looks like they are all sold out, they will get more in soon.

11. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Let me run this by you. If you buy the rifle kit, it will come with a pistol grip, stock, and handguards. Since you are planning to buy MAGPUL products for the build, I would suggest this: See if they will sell you the PSA 16" Mid-length, Light profile, MP Upper ($409.95) minus the handguards. That may save about $10-$12. Order a set of MAGPUL MOE handguards ($29.95). Buy the complete PSA AR15 Lower - MOE Edition ($299). You will save about $25.00 doing it that way, not to mention a lot of work.

12. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

The PSA website actually lets you select MOE handguards, stock, etc for a small upgrade fee when ordering that kit, without ordering them separately.

13. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

The drop-down menu for the handguards does not include the MAGPUL MOE, not does it offer the MOE stock (except for foliage green). The MOE grip is offered in a few colors.

14. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

It offered the handguards in green when I looked the other day. I guess it only reflects what they have available at any given time.

15. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Sounds good. PSA kit+Spikes Lower+Magpul stuff+Aimpoint= Your good to go.

16. craig19

craig19

They also have the MOE lower parts kit for $139.

17. cwtitan

cwtitan

I would probably go with the PSA lower if you are going all PSA on the upper and parts kit etc... But maybe that is just my OCD...:rofl:

18. Manimal

Manimal

Part of the fun for this build is that I wanted to assemble the lower myself, just to say that I built this rifle (kinda). I really enjoy tinkering with things and learning how they work from the inside out.

But the upper kits and the lower kits didn't seem to have all of the exact Magpul components and colors that I want. And I have been able to find them around the same price with free shipping.

I was going to put the Magpul MOE mid length handgaurds, MBUS site, ASAP, BAD lever, MIAD grip, and CTR stock.

19. cwtitan

cwtitan

yes it is quite fun and addictive to put the lower together yourself. Sounds like a pretty nice parts list you have there. I went with the PSA midlength med profile 4150 bbl and magpul handguard for my upper.

20. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Sounds like you have done your homework. I am impressed. You are right, there is a certain satisfaction in building somethings yourself. The MAGPUL ASAP is a good idea if you are going to use a single-point sling. Troy industries makes a nice one. A few months ago, I installed one of the ASAPs on a LEOs AR that I work with and he absolutely loves it. Have you decided whether you are going to use a Commercial buffer tube or a Mil-Spec tube? That is a decision you will need to make before you order the CTR stock. Personally, I prefer using the Mil-Spec buffer tube.The B.A.D. lever is a nice addition. I recently used one on this build.

[​IMG]

I have also installed one on the lower of my new build (PSA Dissipator).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck with your build. We can't wait to see it finished. :wavey: