close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My first baitcasting reel

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by The Pontificator, May 23, 2003.

1. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

A friend of mine, who's big into bass fishing and bass tournaments, has talked me into buying a "proper bass reel" to go with an Ugly Stik baitcasting rod I mistakenly purchased to go with a spincast reel.

"SALE Bass Pro Shops® Mega Tournament Low-Profile Baitcast Reel

Same features, same quality performance as high-end low-profile reels, at a
    price any angler can afford. Totally redesigned for 2002 with a sleeker,
    more powerful graphite frame, a quick-release side-cover, beefed-up spool
    capacity and a thumb bar release for quick casting. Of course, the
    performance features are still here, including a blazing 6.3:1 gear ratio,
    our acclaimed 6-pin centrifugal brake, lightweight aluminum spool, 4-bearing
    system with PowerLock T instant anti-reverse. Model: MT1000H.

Regular Price $49.99 - Save $10."

OK, so it's not a Shimano Curado or Ambassadeur but my friend says it's a great first baitcast reel. I hope so...I know nothing about these reels.

2. Hihopoly

Hihopoly

Nice goin Pont!

I prolly need one like yours. Few weeks ago I had a 20+ lb catfish on my line and my (grandfather's 40 year old) surfcasting reel jammed as I was hauling it in. Had to cut the line and drag it in by hand. ;g

What's the difference between "baitcast" and regular reels?

3. The Pontificator

baitcast reel you use your thumb to stop the reel one the bait hits the water.

4. noway

noway

{What's the difference between "baitcast" and regular reels{

The proper difference are baitcast using the drag on the spool and weights of the bait & line to "cast" and this combo allows for more accurate casts @ a reduce cast distance vrs the spinning or spin-cast setup. The spinning reels uses the weight of the bait to pull the line off the spool which the line stops as the bait hits the water, these are the real differences. Spinning-cast reels I 've kinda outgrown thoose so I can't speak of them.

Pontificator, I have a curado and accurist501 ( both LH models shimano & quantum ) and these are both great baitcast for freshwater taking fishes between 1-12lbs. I would look at the cheap but not in quality Ambassasdor 5000 series you can get these for about the same price and they tick like a clock.

You will be surprise that you can get a good top quality reel for maybe
    a few dollars more in a more popular brand like AbuGarcia/Quantum/Shimano/etc.....

Also depending on what you use ( crankbait vrs worms etc.....) you might want to rethink you gear ratio. I like the slowest ratio for worms so that way I can easily sloooooooooowly retrieve my worm back providing a looooooonger presentation to the fish. I like the higher ratios for crankbaits or top water plugs when I'm trying to imitate a quick fish movement.

"My accurist 501 is my top favorite"

5. The Pontificator

I am seriously considering a Curado in my future.

I was not overly thrilled to know that this new reel I just got comes in RH retrieve. I am right handed and cannot cast for sqat with my left arm. This means I'll be casting, then switching the rod over to my left hand to retrieve.

Trust me, my next reel with have a LH retrieve.

6. fajizzle nizzle

fajizzle nizzle

I have two Curados that I use for steelhead. Very nice reels for the money.

7. okie

okie GT Mayor

Nice reel Pontif. Dont burd nest the thing though. Not fun, been
    there done that several times;P

8. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

When I first started using a baitcast reel, I was taught to put a peice of tape over the line about 30-50 yards into the spool. This way, if I did birdnest it, I didn't have the entire spool to untangle or cut out. It worked great and saved me from tons of needless and frustrating work. Once you get to know the reel and feel comfortable, you can just remove the tape and use your thumb like you would anyway.

9. noway

noway

Great advice but using proper drag and weight and most importantly line type & size ( dia ) will control bird nestting.

One of the key features of my accurist is the reel spool lock lever to allow the spool to free spin or not, when the tumb is off or on the thumb lever.

I highly reccommend you check out the Quantum Accurist models.

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Actually, you use your thumb to slow the lure just before your bait hits the water. If it hits the water with much force, expect a home for the birds...

11. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

That's the way I do it! I can't stand switching hands and my friends can't understand how I fish with a "left-handed" reel. However, when I am out on the ocean fishin' with my big gear, it chaps my hide to have to crank in a dolphin with a right hand retrieve and fight the SOB with my weak arm. That just makes no sense!

12. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_ 1911 Fanatic

I also got my first baitcasting reel about 1 year ago get ready for lots of backlashes. Takes practice bring along a spinning reel for lighter lures. But they are real tanks when fighting a bigger fish. It really lets you get that lure or bait right where you want it you stop the line where you want.

13. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

I believe Academy has the Ambassadeur for $49, everyday.

14. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

Hey--if you guys get the curado--get the "sf" option.It stands for super free...its really great--super smooth.

15. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

Great to see other right-handed people using left-handed casting reels. Even on the fishing shows I see pro bass fishermen using right-handed reels, and switch hands after every cast;g. I don't get it!

I really wish there were more models available in large sizes for big saltwater fish. I keep asking the Penn rep if they will ever make their larger GTI series reels (like the 340) in a left handed version. I would love to add a couple to my halibut rods.