My first and fourth G22

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Leathernecker, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Leathernecker

Leathernecker More Glocks!

Several years back (most likely in late 1990) I traded my 1st Gen G17 (and some cash) for a then-new G22 at a gun show.

I shot that pistol for a couple of years, and even though I was really "into" Glocks then, it was nothing like now. When times got tough, I sold it to my best friend. I always regretted selling that pistol

Fast forward about fifteen years, and my buddy and I have become re-acquainted through Facebook and we've been getting together to go shooting and have meals with his wife and my friends.

Last range trip, I said, "Hey, I've wanted that pistol back for a long time. Are you interested in maybe trading it back to me for a 3rd Gen G22?"

I explained the differences and the improvements in the 3rd Generation models and the chance to get a newer pistol with a rail to hang a light or laser on really caught his eye. When I sensed that I had a nibble, I set the hook; I offered a box of Gold Dot hollow points to sweeten the deal.

A few weeks ago, he informed me that he'd decided that he was willing to make the trade. Today, I ditched one of my surplus G22s for my original G22. Knowing that it has never been detail stripped in its twenty year life, I got it home and broke it down, taking pictures along the way of my little time capsule.

Here's the saga in pictures...

First is the box. The NZ prefix puts its "born on date" in July of 1990. Check the decal; something I didn't know when I purchased it was that it had a NY trigger. (Not that I knew what a NY trigger was at the time.)
    [​IMG]

Just as it says in the "Glock Serial Number Project" thread, this model was so new that they were packing them in 9mm boxes.
    [​IMG]

Ahhh, welcome home old friend. Long time, no see.
    Oily buildup is evident in the serrations at the back of the slide and the old, flatter black finish is in good shape.
    [​IMG]

Dig the old style "Tupperware" box. It's got the two "wings" on the post, a magazine and cleaning rod holders, and some other molded in pieces that later boxes didn't have.
    [​IMG]

Continued...

2. Leathernecker

Eh, since I showed you the sticker, it's not going to hurt anything for you to see the serial number on the pistol too. Notice on the barrel, it says ".40" after the serial number.
    [​IMG]

The next surprise was the uncaptured guide rod. I couldn't remember if this was what it had; I certainly remembered that the 1st Gen G17s didn't have captured guide rods. Finding it the same way in the G22 was unexpected.

Everything was either oily or filthy or both. It has been getting a basic field strip after each use and some more oil and it has just built up over the years and collected dust on its internals. The firing pin channel had way too much oil in it, it took several cue tips to get it all out. This is the first time that this pistol has ever been detail stripped.
    [​IMG]

Here are the biggest surprises: The trigger mechanism housing assembly had a "+" connector, a too-small hole that would not allow the Glock disassembly tool to fit inside to push out the connector, and no traditional trigger spring. I've never seen this before; there's a polymer "spring" that looks like the modern NY trigger springs, but it's black and has no metal spring anywhere.
    [​IMG]

This was new to me. I'd never even heard of this. Back when I originally owned this pistol, I wasn't "qualified" to take it apart this far. Now that I've got an armorer's certificate and enough knowledge about them to really get me into trouble, I tore into this one figuring it was only going to be a simple (but thorough) cleaning. Instead, I got a lesson in how they used to be constructed.

My 1st Gen G17 has a regular spring and the proper sized hole in the housing to slide the disassembly tool into to push out the connector. That pistol still has all original parts and has never received its upgrade to the "better" parts. These odd parts aren't even covered in the Armorer's Manual. (Either that, or I am missing it somewhere.)

The biggest issue I had with getting it apart was getting the trigger pin out. That bugger wouldn't move, no matter which way I oriented the slide release lever or the trigger. I was able to actually get the trigger bar disconnected and the trigger mechanism housing assembly out without removing the locking block. I had applied solvent and oil alternately trying to loosen it up, but it refused to move. Eventually, I got a break and it popped free and the disassembly tool (as they love to do) tried to poke through my hand on the the other side.

Sorry for the wall of text. I thought I'd tell you about the education I received today and about the reunion with an old friend.

3. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

Congrats on getting it back. I'm sure it appreciated the tlc

4. Leathernecker

Now if I could just get back my original G17!

5. G23c

G23c

good for you. now, never sell another Glock!

6. Leathernecker

Well, I've got enough now that I'm not super attached to some of the newer ones. I've sold a G26 and a G27 and I've got deals in the works for getting rid of the "spare" G22 and making a trade of my G32 for a G31.

I'm cool with it though. The 3rd Gen stuff isn't so "important" to my collection.

7. Leathernecker

I'd be interested in some info from people who've been armorers longer than me.

What is the deal with that nutty trigger spring? Is it the original NY trigger?

8. HiredGun77

HiredGun77

That is a NY-1 olive 8 pound trigger spring but it is missing the coil spring. It will work like you have it but Glock doesn't recommend it the way you have it.
    It should look like this.

[​IMG]

9. u4ea

u4ea

Why does it have a US made frame but it's from 1990? I thought that was a recent development? Good story!

10. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

I wouldn't be able to tell its 20 years old... looks good... congrats.

11. Leathernecker

It's actually black. I know that the NY triggers are usually orange or od; this one didn't have a coil spring. I don't think there's any way my buddy would have broken the pistol down far enough to have lost the coil spring let alone seen it. He simply doesn't know how.

And I'm 99% positive that it didn't eject itself to somewhere else in my living room since it took so much work to get the last pin out of the frame that by the time that assembly came out, I was treating it very carefully since I was surprised that I had had a pistol with a NY trigger and hadn't known it back then or now (until I read the decal on the end of the box).

Were NY triggers originally delivered black and springless?

12. Leathernecker

Ya got me. I used to have all of the serial numbers of all of my firearms memorized. (Can you remember when you owned so few firearms that this was possible? :wavey: ) But I just never thought about it until I got it back.

13. HiredGun77

HiredGun77

By golly that is black. I just saw dark and went off. You got me. I would about bet Glock will send you the updates for no charge.

14. Leathernecker

And there's no "upper post" to hold the top of the spring in place.

"Getting you" was not my intention, sir.

I thought they were supposed to do that anyway. If I could just bring myself to ask...

Really, I've been an armorer for about twenty four days. I haven't figured out the procedure for getting someone to replace bad parts. Is it really as simple as calling them up and saying, "Yo, I got this here old G22 and your substandard spring needs to go in my museum of Glock antiquities. Why don't y'all throw a new one in a box and send it my way?"

15. vmann

vmann Controller

where is butch, he can answer this for us....

that looks just like my 1990 g22, but mine doesnt have the ny trigger in it...so it must be a little newer then yours...

16. Leathernecker

I too was wondering when the "old hands" of Glock Talk would chime in. Someone's gotta know what's up with that goofy trigger spring.

17. HiredGun77

HiredGun77

I know you weren't out to get anyone. I was smiling when I typed that. Yes it's really that easy except I never ask for it for free. They will offer it on updates. Replacement parts will cost you but not much. They are very nice on the phone. I have never had to pay for anything defective either. Sometimes they may want the old parts back to examine. All part of why I love Glock so much.

18. B Coyote

B Coyote

Yes, yes they were. You've got an original one. They're not commonly encountered at all.

In all my years of Glocking (since 1993), I've only seen one black NY spring. Thankfully the guy who had it was nice enough to give it to me in trade for a current green model so I could have it in my collection of neat things.

bc

19. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

+1 Early NY triggers were black and did not have the coiled spring. At this point you already know all of the internal parts that are best to replace. That is one of the earliest G22's made.

20. Leathernecker

I've got half a mind to keep it that way. Thanks for the info.

It's made me more excited than before to have my old pistol back.