close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My first aid/emergency kit for the outdoors

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by JKG, Jan 11, 2006.

1. JKG

JKG

I thought I'd start a thread about the stuff I carry while fishing, hunting, hiking, etc. This is one compact, take anywhere kit. I add items depending on where I go, and who I go with, but it covers a lot and takes up little space.

Feel free to comment, and add items.

1. one platic peanut butter jar (the size of a big coffee mug)- everything goes in it. its water tight, and makes for a handy water container for purifying with tablets. its light and very durable. a nalgene would be good too, but most have narrow mouths. you can't boil water in it, but you can put hots stones in it and get hot water.

2. duct tape- wrapped around the peanut butter jar

3. water purifying tablets- i prefer the non-iodine variety.

4. compass- i use a silva

5. backcountry first aid manual and CPR card

6. waterproof matches and small bic lighter

7. candle- great way to make a fire. saves matches and helps dry tinder.

8. swiss army knife- i carry a leatherman and a big folder, this is just a spare.

9. small nail clippers & tweezers- usually use a leatherman for pulling out burrs, stickers, etc but still good for splinters, thorns, etc if i ever lost my leatherman. if in the desert with dogs, i would take a comb for cacti that get stuck in the fur.

10. antibiotic ointment- also good for dry skin, etc in a pinch. i would take some sort of lotion if there was more room.

11. small baggy of salt

12. film cannister with fishing line (mono and Fireline for fishing and repairs), hooks, small jig heads, and also sewing needles.

11. aspirin or ibuprofen- right now i carry aspirin since it can be used for me and our dog. be careful with bleeding and aspirin.

12. assorted bandages- i prefer big sterile pads that can be cut depending on need. little bandaids take up space and can be improvised with some tape and a piece of sterile pad.

13. small LED light

14. pencil

This is what I always take in the field. Some of it is good for day trips, but can also help if I needed to stay out longer.

I also add some AquaSeal, and some other repair stuff if I am out for long. I also take more medical stuff if I go with a group for long periods. Anti-histamines, suntan lotion, etc. I also take an extra pair of shoe-laces, or string/cord. Many uses. I would add a real flashlight too.

I almost always take a poncho. Good to throw on the ground for sitting, good rain protection, and a shelter if needed.

Don't forget the TP or paper towels!!!

I try to keep it to the bare minimum so I will always take it. I had a huge first aid kit, but I never carried it because of weight/space issues.

What do you guys take?

2. JKG

JKG

While hunting, or when its cold out I take some of those one time use handwarmers. These things along with any extras go into a ziplock bag since the peanut butter jar is stuffed.

3. longbowshooter

longbowshooter

I use an old Kelty hip pack to store my stuff in, though I've never worn it on my hip. I throw it in the day pack. A lot of the same stuff as you.

Fire making tools-Matches, lighter, magnesium spark thing with wax filled cotton tablets.
    A compact space blanket
    Whistle
    a spare pocket knife
    a couple zip lock bags
    an emergency strobe
    compass
    emergency information cards

My biggest concern is the ability to stay warm and signal someone because I'm usually in fairly close proximity, a few hours, of people.

4. JKG

JKG

I'm going to add a whistle. That's a good idea Longbowshooter.

5. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

two space blankets - one for your bottom and one for your head/body
    some jerky
    candy bar/power bar
    A real compass with a mirror - silva's are nice 2x concur
    map in case GPS unit fails

6. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Make sure you get a pea-less whistle. Apparently the pea can freeze up and not function! A really good book for a practical survival kit (and survival in general) is "98.6 Degrees: Keeping your *** alive!" Highly recommended!

Also, check out the "Equipped to Survive" forum at www.equipped.com Lots of good reading for short term survival (they discourage "Mad Max" level survival there :p