My first 10-22

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by SinCityGlocker, Feb 24, 2010.

1. SinCityGlocker

SinCityGlocker

I bought my first Ruger 10-22 today. I own a couple AR's a SIG 556, an AK, etc, but I have never owned a rifle in .22LR. I never thought I would need one, but now I find myself wanting to do some Appleseed shoots (http://appleseedinfo.org/). They recommend a .22 for the first day of each class, then using your major caliber rifle on the second day of each shoot. I really feel that this should help me improve my rifle skills. Currently, I can hit an 8 inch target at 100 yards with about 99% of my shots. My shots will be all over the plate, though, making an 8 inch group. As distance increases from 100 yards, my accuracy decreases more than I would like. I don't use magnifying scopes and do not shoot past about 200 yards now. My goal is to be able to consistently hit a man sized target at 300 yards with irons only. This rifle is the first step on my mission. I think it's funny that at 25 years old, I finally got a 10-22. Most GT'ers probably had one of these when they were kids and I'm getting around to it after I already have many "fancier" rifles. Better late than never.

I'm waiting for my camera batteries to recharge, but I'll post pics when they're ready to go.

2. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

1st: Congrads on the 10/22 purchase! I bought one about 9 months ago right before I turned 18. Such a fun gun that you can do a lot with - for cheap.

2nd: Appleseed WINS. I went to my first one in November and have signed up for two more. They are awesome. I thought I was a good shooter before hand coming off the high school rifle team, but I learned a bunch. I did shoot a Rifleman score the first time I went, but not without some instruction and practice. On the first 'baseline' shoot, I got a 190/250 and by the next afternoon I had a 225/250. Definitely get a USGI sling, It will amaze you how effective using one can be. I thought the sling was a joke before I bought one at the shoot. Also, you'll learn the real significance of April 19, 1775 and what it might mean if something similar were to happen today. I feel better prepared to defend anyone or anything that might need defending out to 400 yards after attending Appleseed. I'm going a 2nd and 3rd time to brush up on my skills and to see different ranges around NC. Might as well do as many as I can while it's free, right?

Another thing I would recommend are 3-4 additional magazines. I have 4 ten round butler creek vertical stack magazines and they do great.

3. deadmonkey90

deadmonkey90 Pro Bass Angler

I just recently shot a 10/22 for my first time and will be buying one soon. Thanks Dave

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  4. Jon_R

Jon_R

Good luck stopping with one. :)

I have a heavy version and a tactical version.

Heavy version is houge stock, bull barrel, strong scope lots of internal upgrades.

Tactical version Tapco collapsible stock set with vertical forward grip and XS sights FO.

I like the butler creek steel lips for the tactical and normal ruger factory for the precision one.

At $200 a rifle it becomes to easy to pick up another one for a different setup.

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

I am a big fan of the 10/22. It is a great platform for everything from training kids to serious suppressed work. I recommend them to everybody.

6. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

[​IMG]

7. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Check out "Tech-sights.com" for good aftermarket peeps for the 10/22 and others.

I'm currently on my way to a .22 suppressor.

I intend to buy a 10/22 and set it up to use it as well as my Browning Buckmark. :supergrin:

Gettin' ready for the zombies!

8. Chainlink

Chainlink

I think the 10/22 is a fantastic rifle and for the money is in a league of its own when considering aftermarket accessories.
    A great sight (best IMO) when it comes the 10/22 is http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Have fun and plan on shooting tens of thousands of rounds through it.

9. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on a great plinker! :cool:

10. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

10/22: $200 gun that has been robbing men of $600 more for years now.

11. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

What was I supposed to do, leave it stock? :dunno:

12. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

No way man! That's almost rising to the level of sacrilege.

You've gotta at least polish the trigger components and replace the extractor. Then the stock and barrel. Then add mags and a bipod. Then how about a new bolt and buffer. Oh yeah, what about some glass for it? I don't like that bolt hold open or mag release either.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  13. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

Any time. It makes for a fun cheap range trip. I keep tossing around the idea of swtiching to a lighter, maybe even folding, stock and adding a cheap bipod.

14. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

What's replacing the extractor going to do? mine extracts fine even after 4k rounds and no cleaning. I've done everything else you mentioned except glass and a new bolt.

15. deadmonkey90

deadmonkey90 Pro Bass Angler

16. mixflip

mixflip

10/22's are awesome. My dad taught me how to shoot with one in the early 80's but I never owned my own til only a few years ago. When 5.56mm was/is expensive my little 22's become a blast to shoot. Good basic marksmanship trainers too for my little boy.

[​IMG]

17. Bones507

Bones507

Great 22 rifle, for its price i think its the best there is. But a warning ! If you start upgrading it, which you will, its going to cost you, lol. I got about $1500 more or less in mine. Lilja barrel for starters, stock, bedding, trigger, scope, etc..
    It can be very addicting.
    Go here if you want to see what i mean : http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

18. CajunBass

CajunBass

I think 10/22's are great little rifles. Good choice.