close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My firearm transfer was "delayed" at Academy....how long?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by brawndo89, Oct 7, 2012.

1. brawndo89

brawndo89

Okay a quick run down of what is going on...I'm a long time lurker on these forums first time poster. I went into Academy to buy my first hand gun, an m9, and my background check was delayed. I had a feeling it would be delayed for this reason:

-When I was 18 (currently 23) I was arrested in Oklahoma (I live(d) in Texas then and now) for possession of marijuana and possession of ecstasy. Obviously both charges were felonies, but I went through deferred probation and the deal was as long as I didn't re offend in two years all charges would be dropped. I did not re offend so my record is now spotless.

With all that being said I assume that is the reason my background check is being delayed. I tried to buy it Friday at noon and still haven't heard from academy now Sunday at noon.

How long do delayed processes usually take? Am I likely to be turned down anyway even though all my charges have been dropped? Any info at all would be helpful guys, thanks!

Brawndo89

2. tnhawk

tnhawk

Did the dealer provide you with a phone number to call to address the delay? I had a refusal years ago, but after calling the number given by the dealer, the hold was removed. Many guns later this has never happened again.

3. brawndo89

brawndo89

Nope all they told me is that they'd call me back when they found out more. Should I go in and request this number you speak of?

4. happy seal

happy seal

You got any X for sale? :whistling:

5. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

Long enough for the cops to get there and arrest you.

6. glockintx

glockintx

7. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

You don't get that number unless you are "denied". You just have to wait through a "delay".

8. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

I thought if they didn't hear back yeah or na in 3 days that it was clear.

9. brawndo89

brawndo89

That's what I read on the fbi nics website. Three days not counting the day of file or weekends. So I'm looking at Wednesday or Thursday I guess. Was just hoping for earlier. He also told me it could be because I have an extremely common name which I don't understand since they run your social...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  10. cyphertext

cyphertext

That is what the law states, but the store policy can be more stringent than law. When I worked at Academy, the policy was to not release a firearm until NICs gave the all clear.

The store can call back with the record number to check on status. If it is denied, they will give you a pamphlet with a number on it that you may call to begin an appeals process.

11. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

My NICS is delayed just about every time. I don't put my SS number on the form so maybe that has something to do with it.

12. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

As soon as you get to a 1000 post count.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

13. Adjuster

Adjuster

Extremely common name???

Like 'John Smith' or something?

/

14. brawndo89

brawndo89

Yes something very similar to that.

15. beatcop

beatcop

Who knows? You need a lawyer to check things out...even if this goes through. You don't want to try to purchase firearms after accepting a deal on felony charges. If they were reduced or dismissed in some manner that is "ok", good for you, but in a lot of cases taking a plea is pleading guilty.

16. brawndo89

brawndo89

With deferred probation they essentially rescheduled my court date for two years after probation started. Upon that date if I didn't reoffend my trial was dismissed as if there were never charges at all. But obviously the fbi can still see that I was arrested. The charges WERE NOT "expunged".

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Not sure you need a lawyer... yet.

If the deal really was that this got wiped off your record, then you should be clear, and it could just be a delay due to a common name.

However, if it comes back that you were denied due to the convictions, then you'll need to get a lawyer to delve into your agreement with the courts in OK to try and resolve this matter.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you were never actually "convicted". My guess is, in 3 days, you're going to have your gun.

18. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

could be nothing. now law expert here, but it sounds like, due to the circumstances and deal you arranged, you are not a felon. Sometimes it just gets delayed. i have several guns, a name that is not common, and no criminal history. when i bought my cz it got delayed. they called me back in a couple days and told me i could pick it up. no other of my guns ever had that happen. I wouldn't sweat it.

19. brawndo89

brawndo89

Thanks for those of you with constructive replies. The guy at academy made it seem like this was an irregular thing so I just wanted to post to see what you guys thought. I'll post when academy calls me back..

They'll call even if I get denied right?

20. ray9898

ray9898

You have prior felony charges. Depending on how your RAP sheet is coded they will confirm the charges are dismissed and you are no longer under indictment for the charges.