close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My female doxie is in heat!!! HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Blah!, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Blah!

Blah! Guest

Hey how long does this last? I got dogs from three parishes hanging around here!!! She started bleeding about 6 days ago now its just swelling. Any idea how long i have left to deal with this crap?;P ;P :( :( ;g ;g

2. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

If the females are anything at all like the males are when there's a female in heat this isn't going to be a fun time for you.

Our male would scratch holes in the door molding trying to get out. I wish I had pictures of what he did. He acted like a total nutcase, greiving and acting a fool, trying to get out.

I had my female doxie fixed at exactly 6 months to the day. In fact, I even refer to her now as being "asexual". She doesn't hump, doesn't bleed and just generally goes on about her life not knowing any better.

An old roomate had a sharpei who went into heat like this and if I remember correctly, it was over a week, but not quite 2 weeks before it stopped. It made quite a mess in our apartment.

3. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Blah!!!

You gonna breed her??? Hell, just get her fixed if not.......

They sell those doggie maxi-pad things at Petsmart.....but I have heard dogs can make a real mess......

I am not certain if female dogs are miserable when they are in heat like female cats.....but if you arn't breeding her and don't want pups you should just get her spayed......she'll be happier and so will you!! :cool:

4. Blah!

Blah! Guest

Yeah, she will be fixed ASAP. I got a diaper thingy on her to keep my male from impregnating her and help with the mess *shudders* Just cant wait for it to end. ;Q

5. bethann

bethann

A season usually lasts about 3-4 weeks. I usually tell people they take a week to come in, are in heat a week, and take a week going out of season. But, it can last up to a month and she needs to be kept seperate from him the whole time. She can be bred even with the in heat panties on so the only sure way to keep her from being bred is to completely seperate her from your male. I have a girl in season now and the only thing I will trust to keep her from being bred (or being bred by the wrong male) is a crate. Don't know about your breed but my breed climbs so at the first sign of going into season, my girls are in a crate, with a top on it. If your breed doesn't climb you might want to try a baby gate or an x-pen but to be honest with you, I wouldn't trust it.
    A closed door between them is even safer.
    If you can't keep her seperated you might want to go ahead and get her spayed. But, if you can keep them seperated for about 3 more weeks that would be best for her because it's harder on her to spay while in season.

6. Blah!

Blah! Guest

So three weeks to a month from the first bleeding? The male didnt even show interest in the first few days of bleeding but now hes a little mad man. Hes only been trying to hump for a couple days now will that stop in 4 days or will he hump till the end?

7. bethann

bethann

It depends on the dog. My boys can tell when she's going out of season so right now they are getting desperate and acting like fools because they know that her season is almost over. Some males keep trying forever and some give up after a few days.
    You only have a couple more weeks left and then she can be spayed. Then you'll never have to worry about it again.
    Do keep an eye on her though and make sure she really is out of heat before putting her back with him. I had a GSD once who's season lasted forever. Finally bred on her 28th day, usually they breed somewhere between the 9th & 12th day and will breed for about a week, then go out of season. That was rare, but it can happen.

8. Mn. Fly Boy

Mn. Fly Boy Mn. Fly Boy

We have had female Doxie's for many years and yes they are a problem when this is going on. As near as I remember it lasts a full three weeks so plan on it. As far as your male humping things it is normal for them to do that and anything he can't eat or hump he will urinate on for the rest of his life. Good Luck! LOL

9. Blah!

Blah! Guest

Its finally over.:) I dont think he bred her atleast not in front of me...She will be fixed as soon as i can get an appointment to do so. Its been a hell of a couple weeks over here;P Anyway thanks for the replies.;a