Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've gotten my father into guns over this last year. He decided a couple months ago that he was wanting to buy a 9mm. My father has always been a bargain shopper, so I knew he wanted to go as cheap as possible. I suggested possibly a ruger P95, and gave him one basic instruction: "No matter how tempted you are when you see the price tag, do not buy a hi-point."

He didn't listen. Anybody care to give me a rundown on any information (positive or negative) about this firearm? Any positive or negative experiences? I want to be happy for my dad for buying his first gun, but I'm having a hard time. I heard you have to send them back to the factory to be cleaned. Is that true? If so that really blows.

·
Banned
12,633 Posts
Ya but they go bang ever other time:whistling:

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
a coworker brought one over to shoot - it jammed more than it didn't. felt and operated like a piece of junk... Hope you talk your dad out of it...

·
Registered
30,883 Posts
The carbines have a better reputation than the pistols. Ask your father if he would buy a car with the cheapest seatbelt. That is what buying the cheapest gun is like.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a coworker brought one over to shoot - it jammed more than it didn't. felt and operated like a piece of junk... Hope you talk your dad out of it...
He already bought it. I checked it out last night. It looks like somebody made it out of spare car parts they had laying around the garage.

·
G21sf .45 ACP
259 Posts
The carbines have a better reputation than the pistols. Ask your father if he would buy a car with the cheapest seatbelt. That is what buying the cheapest gun is like.
thats a good point, I would refer him to looking at the point of safety and reliability over a low price.

My dad is the same way, only he buys things he doesn't need just because its on sale.

My father bought a .22 western style single action revolver and a couple boxes of .22

........this he has owned for about 2 years know, it has never seen a shot!

-Will

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
It ain't like your father is going to shoot five million rounds of ammo through it, or having to fight off the ChiCom paratroops or a platoon of crazed jihadists.

8,219 Posts
The hipoint works fine and is accurate but its oversized and isn't as interesting as more expensive guns.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
It ain't like your father is going to shoot five million rounds of ammo through it, or having to fight off the ChiCom paratroops or a platoon of crazed jihadists.
True. But what bout those dang zombies :tongueout:

I agree if he just wants a gun to load and store away for an emergency then it might just do.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Well they do have a lifetime warranty that they apparently honor. Which is a good thing because odds are you're gonna need it at some point.

The worst part of hi-point pistols IMO is the zinc slide, I guess they had to keep the cost down somewhere. But you would think it would cut into the profits with offering a lifetime warranty. Any way you look at it, it's better than throwing rocks (usually).

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
If my dad bought a cheap gun, especially if he was going to rely on it for self-defense, I'd buy him a Glock or something.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Bargain hunt with cars, computers, clothes, etc.; NOT GUNS OR AMMO.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
There's a difference between a bargain shopper and just being a cheap-ass.

A bargain shopper gets a lower price than an item is normally seen at. A cheap-ass buys the lowest priced item that meets the criteria.

Your father is a cheapass.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have never read a good word about a Hi-Point 9mm. Are they that much cheaper than a S&W Sigma? Some folks don't like a Sigma, but I had one that was OK. How about a Kel-Tec? I had an old 9mm when they first came out, and it was OK. Maybe a C&R P38?

·
Handloader
1,858 Posts
If I had a choice between a Lorcin, Jimenez, or Hi point.

The Hi Point would be the last one I would pick. Jimenez the reluctant first.

In fact, I vowed if I ever live to own my own gun store, I would post a sign that would say: Hi points are not allowed on the premise. We sell guns, not pistol gripped bricks!:supergrin:

They are all pawn shop guns, and should come with a free pyramid car amplifier.:embarassed:

·
Registered
944 Posts
My HiPoint C9 shoots great. It is not my favorite handgun in my collection, but it works every time. The blowback design makes it necessary to be a klunky beast, but the sights are not too shaby. All in all, it is not a bad gun.

From my experience at the local range most people that hate on the HiPoint have never shot one. They have formulated their opinion solely based on others opinions. Sure, there are a few people out there that had bad experiences.

If I had to pick a handgun to fight with, the HiPoint would not be in my top 10 choices. But for the price point it is hard to beat. I got mine for $100 OTD.

HiPoint customer service is pretty good too. I lost some parts when trying to remove the mag disconnect (backyard gunsmithing literally), they sent me more parts no questions asked for free.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts