My Extensive Collection of John Brownings Masterpiece

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by shays4me, Apr 6, 2010.

1. shays4me

shays4me gunaholic

[​IMG]

Okay, maybe not extensive, but I have one for each hand! I finally got the Kimber today. It's not my idea of the perfect pistol, but for the whopping price of $865 delivered, I can't complain. I haven't shot it yet, but it feels like a nice quality piece, with all the features I wanted (and a few I didn't). I love the trigger! It's very nice. Most of the features I dislike can be changed with the exception of the front slide serations. I've decided I can live with them, even though they're mostly useless IMO. The grips have a nice feel, but I'm in the market for some that will make the gun mine, and not just another stainless II. I absolutely can't stand the plastic backstrap. If I'd have wanted a plastic gun, I would have bought a Glock. YUCK! I'm most definetly in the market for a new stainless one with the flush bottom lanyard, so if anyone has seen these I'd appreciate a link. Anyway, overall I think I got a good deal on a quality pistol.

2. JBnTX

JBnTX Ecclesiastes 12:13

That stainless Kimber looks nice.

3. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Forget the Kimber, tell us about the other one!!

4. bac1023

bac1023

They look nice. Congrats!

5. shays4me

shays4me gunaholic

It's an original 1920 Government model. The first time I saw it I fell in love, but I convinced it's former owner to not sell it because it was a family heirloom. Like a fool he sold it a few months later for $800. When I found out who he sold it to, I tracked the dirty dog down and payed him $900. It turns out it was a friend of mine whom I'd informed about the pistol. It was still a good deal for me and I have no intention of ever letting it go. He keeps offering to buy it back, but I tell him he can take it from my cold dead hands. It's just an old gun to some, but it's a true treasure to me!:wavey:

6. shays4me

shays4me gunaholic

Thanks Bac, the pic was posted for you. You keep getting me in trouble! I'm wondering what the Kimber will look like with a set of Ivorywood or Andean Alder grips. I need to look around for some pics of stainless guns with off white grips and see if I like the effect. Maybe some day if the economy comes around I'll finally get that nice black valor I've been dreaming of.:cool:

7. Tactical black

Tactical black

They look great congrats

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Both look great!

Bac' get's nearly EVERYONE in trouble! But, it's good trouble to be in! :supergrin:

9. okie

okie GT Mayor

Nice collection my friend:thumbsup:

10. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

John Browning's masterpiece?
    Where?
    I don't see a Winchester Highwall.
    That was his first design to be picked up and manufactured by a major firearms company. But before that, Mr Browning had designed and, with his brothers' help, manufactured about 600 rifles before a Winchester rep saw and liked one enough to buy the patent rights.

11. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Nice pistolas. As for Bac, he can be a very influential type of person. I know.

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

You're nearly just as bad, or would that be good? Anyrate, you have some very fine 1911s as well! :thumbsup:

13. shays4me

shays4me gunaholic

Awe, come on. Everybody knows the best single shot rifle is a 74 Sharps! Highwalls are nice and all, but not nearly as elegant.
    [​IMG]

14. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

When Winchester picked up the Highwall, their advertising gave it credit for the strong Sharps style falling block. But the self-cocking center-hung hammer just adds so much utility for me that I will give up the Sharps style points. As to elegance, look at the 1877 Sharps, the final refinement of the sidehammer action.

15. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I knew I wasn't the only one thinking that! I like Kimbers, but that Colt is a piece of historical art.

16. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

The Kimber wont disappoint you. I have one like that and it is sweet shooting.

17. shays4me

shays4me gunaholic

That Colt is the pinacle of my rather modest collection. I find myself in awe just holding it and I never dreamed I'd have such a gun in my possesion. Thanks for all the replies! John:wavey:

18. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Sir, was not trying to be rude. If I was, and I think I might have been, I apologize sincerely.

But I have had and can go see a whole row of BNIB CII Kimber's on a shelf.

But and old Colt always make me stop, look, evaluate, think about the past, and think about the guns past.

:wavey:

19. shays4me

shays4me gunaholic

I definetly did not take it as rude. I share your enthusiasm for the old Colts and wouldn't trade it for a single one of the brand X's on this board! If anything, it's nice to know I'm not the only old gun wierdo on the board! There may be better 1911's out there these days for sure. We've had a hundred years to perfect them, so I'm not going to ever argue about that. But what I will say is that none of them make me feel the same way that one does when I hold it. It's a timeless classic. As for the Kimber, I bought it because I like to pack a 1911 and I have too much respect for the Colt to leave it in my glove box. One of my favorite things about GT is seeing all the antiques. Deadite has a 1911 I'd give my left nu* for (I don't use it much anyways!) and I love it when he drops a pic here and there. As for Colts, I have another oldie. It isn't in great condition, but it's beautiful for what it is. It was built in '05.
    [​IMG]
    It's nice to be part of the group!:wavey:

20. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Love the highwall. Never liked the side hammer of the sharps or the weight.