close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured my experience with the 1911

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by hammerkill, Jul 15, 2017.

1. hammerkill

hammerkill chinese name but all american Silver Member

My first 1911 was a springfield armory compact 1911. I think it had a 3 inch barrel. I bought it about 30 years ago. It was a jamomatic. I traded it in for a S/A full size and the same thing. I sent it back and no fix. I then bought colt 1991. It would jam every so often and I was ready to give up on 1911s. Then the Colt apparently broke in and now it is dead on reliable, accurate and a fantastic trigger. I trust it enough to carry it every day. The front sight popped off and I sent it back to colt and they replaced both sights with a 3 dot. I love this gun. I have small hands so it fits perfect. The colt will only feed fmj but that's fine with me.

What kind of luck have you had with your 1911?

Patrick Sperry, seanmac45 and 1L26 like this.
  2. bac1023

bac1023

I only own high end models these days. They have been great.

Its always been one of my favorite designs.

Mmm Tasty and seanmac45 like this.

3. vba

vba

I own two 1991's and they have been a pleasure for some 20+ years. I don't recall a break-in but did have a couple of bad magazines along the way.

My 1991's have no problem feeding HP's or even 255 grain hard cast SWC's meant for .45 Colt. I've done nothing to the feed ramps and only replaced the triggers and mainspring housing on them.

Glad your 1991 is working for you.

4. refugeepj

refugeepj

owned several, officers, commander and full.
    favorite?
    the cheapest one.
    SR1911CMD, $525 a couple years ago.
    shoots as well as my Kimber.

huskerbuttons, seanmac45 and OBG17 like this.
  5. hammerkill

hammerkill chinese name but all american Silver Member

would it make any sense to install a captured recoil spring?

6. bac1023

bac1023

No...

7. barth

barth six barrels

Only one I own is a NIB Dan Wesson V-Bob Stainless 45 @ $1,500.
    It's been flawless from day one.
    Using OEM Dan Wesson Checkmate, Wilson Combat ETM HD/+P and Tripp Cobra mags.
    500 round break in drew blood from the web of my hand.
    Contacted DW Customer Service and they said there was nothing they could do :mad:
    Switched out the safety with a Wilson Combat Tactical Bulletproof.
    Problem solved.
    Reliable, accurate and surprisingly easy to carry.
    Me likey :D

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Patrick Sperry likes this.
  8. MichaelSemann

MichaelSemann

I own two Kimbers, an Ed Brown, and a Wilson Combat. All have been stellar performers. A good, well tuned 1911 is still my favorite design of all time.

seanmac45 likes this.
  9. OBG17

OBG17

My first 1911 was the Ruger SR1911 CMD which I bought a couple of months ago. I think I shot it better than anything I've shot before for the 1st time out. Today I picked up my 2nd 1911, a 5" Colt Government Combat Elite. I'm going to assume that's going to be a sweet shooter as well.

seanmac45 likes this.
  10. powernoodle

powernoodle

I own about 5x 1911s, from the entry level Springfield GI to a Les Baer UTC. I want to like them, and have tried to like them. But I just can't. I don't do range-only guns, and the 1911 is sub-optimal for daily carry when I can get the same capacity with half the weight in a Shield 45 or whatever. So I'm not sure what the point is. Thin, good trigger, history and aesthetic appeal - I get it. It would make a fine collection. I get the appeal. I want to like the 1911. But I just cannot. From a practical perspective - and I tend to be practical - the capacity to size/weight ratio makes it a poor choice for EDC and home defense. My view from the missile bunker. If you are into the 1911, then good for you. I envy you.

11. fastbolt

fastbolt

I only have five 1911's left in my collection. Four are Colt's, with the newest one being a stainless Govt XSE I ordered new from the factory in '05 (armorer class purchase). Using the brands of mags I prefer to use, it's fed every duty-style JHP I used since then. I also bought a new SW1911SC 5", ordered from the factory after another armorer class the same year ('05). It's also fed every JHP I've ever tried (although I did have to have the plunger tube replaced when it loosened after a few years).

My older 1911's required some occasional work in order for them to flawlessly feed varieties of JHP's, but that wasn't exactly rare for older guns, using older mags.

Nowadays I'd expect any of the well established names making 1911-style pistols to produce modern pistols that could reliably feed modern, good quality JHP ammo - using good quality magazines - but I'd still test and verify.

Using and maintaining 1911-style pistols does seem to require more knowledge on the part of the owner than some other pistols, though. (Including the "knowledge" not to screw around with a normally functioning pistol, trying to "improve" or "refine" it until it's no longer reliable. ;) )

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Bravo One and Patrick Sperry like this.
  12. bunk22

bunk22

I havent owned many, just four of them. Like you, my first was a 3" Kimber that constantly suffered from FTF/FTE. I sold it and went with a full sized standard Sig 1911 in black, no issues. Then sold for a Sig 1911 Scorpion, 4" and it was flawless. Finally, sold it for my current 1911, a Springfield Armory 1911 TRP and it has been flawless as well. I dont think I've shot enough ammo through any of them to claim they had long term durability and reliability but I am keeping my TRP so time will tell.

13. pblanc

pblanc

My experience with model 1911s is rather limited, but has been frustrating. I currently own two, but both would probably be considered lower end.

The first is/was a Springfield Armory GI 45 model mentioned above. This pistol went to three different gunsmiths before I found someone who could get it to eject properly, as in "not erratically". The pistol was given to me by a friend. His son bought two identical models off the same shelf at the same time. The one the son kept has functioned flawlessly.

The second is a Rock Island Armory full-size "Rock" model (in 45 ACP). I made multiple changes to this pistol to get it to work for me including a change of the trigger, thumb safety, sights, slide stop, grips, recoil spring and guide rod, and recoil spring plug. It had multiple failures to fully return to battery, a few failures to extract, and at least one double feed in the first few hundred rounds, but now appears to be smoothing out (hopefully).

I find model 1911s great fun to shoot and when they work, they are quite accurate, at least withing my limited ability. I would not choose one for self-defense because of reliability concerns and limited capacity, and I wouldn't care to carry one to any extent.

Cambo likes this.
  14. techiej

techiej

I've had good luck and my last two 1911 purchases were a Para Target Elite in 45 and a Rock Island Ultra in 9. After a hundred rounds or so - most of which was probably break-in for the magazines - they have been flawless.

While I'm no expert or sharpshooter, I have used both in competition and they run extremely well. I do run them wet and will add lube to the rails (I use Ballistol just like for my Glocks) every 300 rounds or so; field strip/clean about every 500 and will do a detail strip about every 1,000 rounds. FYI - I have about 6,000 rounds through each gun.

While I would feel confident with using either of them as my primary HD gun I've used a Glock 17 for so long in this role I see no reason to change.

Bravo One and Glolt20-91 like this.
  15. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Sad to see folks judge the venerable 1911 with a Filipino or South American mil-spec.

16. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

I like 1911s and Smith & Wesson revolvers, both designs have served me well over the years.

In 1911s, I've carried Colts (38 Super and 45auto) and a Fusion in 10mm, dedicated for outdoor, night time vermin or the rare encounters with large predators.

I recently acquired a new Colt Competition model in 38Super, I really like it. Double Tap 115gr TAC-XP ammunition (Barnes all copper JHP 1425fps) is reliable, this bullet penetrates thick bones and does so with symmetrical expansion. (FWIW, Double Tap is offering a 25% discount).

From draw to first shot during high stress situations, 1911s are probably the fastest times for me, and very accurate. 1911s are natural pointers, as is the Browning Hi-Power, and these JMB designs are an advantage for critical first shot accuracy. The 1911 is a fast engagement, reliable design for combat, but one needs to put in the trigger time to reach this level of training.

I'm also one of those who acquired a Springfield GI model when the original person failed the NICs background check. Not all 1911s will shoot reliably out of the box, this SA was one of them. The extractor and firing pin stop were out of spec, allowing the extractor to rotate. Put in a Wilson extractor and Ed Brown firing pin stop and it was good to go. Pushing my luck, I replaced the slide (Remington Rand) and barrel with WWII GI internal slide parts along with a Colt MkIV National Match barrel (old style finger barrel bushing) made in the 60s or 70s.

This setup was more accurate, 25 yards, and it passed my personal 400 round high heat test, high heat can cause malfunction. I have 1911s that will never be carried, but the Colts will/do see significant holster time, mostly 38Super on the property, occasionally 10mm. The Super when handloaded to its potential, can cause significant tissue damage with a relatively light recoil. I had software that calculated recoil in ft/lbs and velocity, based upon powder weight, bullet weight, bullet velocity and gun weight. There was one G20 load that had a calculated recoil about the same as a 270Win. rifle.

My overall experiences through the decades are positive, and in 3 calibers, 38Super, 10mm and 45auto. I understand that 1911s in 9mm are very popular these days, a lot of companies have tooled up to make 1911s....must be soooooooooomething good about JMB's archaic design. :)

Sky King likes this.
  17. Whittsailor

Whittsailor

I've got three Colt Commanders, a Colt Government 70 series, and a Springfield Range Officer Compact. Love them all, but I don't shoot them nearly as much as I thought I would. All are reliable, but I'd just come to the conclusion I'd prefer to either carry something light like my Sig 938 or sometimes my 30s for more capacity.

I can't bring myself to sell any of them so they're all safe queens.

18. 1L26

1L26

I have 2. Colt Series 70 Nickel/satin that I've had since the 70s. Purchased it new. I bought a Colt Defender (new) (stainless) a few years ago and until my G30S it was my daily carry. The Series 70 has not been shot in at least 20 years.

seanmac45 likes this.
  19. Cambo

Cambo

I have rented, borrowed, and shot a lot of 1911s. I think they are cool guns, but I just can't bring myself to buy one, when there are better options for me.

20. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

My name is Sean and I'm a 1911-aholic.

I own 16 variants to at this time. The few I sold were unreliable. All of the ones I own I would and do trust my life to. My customs were built by Kit Carson, Ted Yost, Joe Bonar (RIP), the smiths at Wilson Combat and me.

All are a pleasure to carry and shoot. Sitting on my hip right now is my Wilson Combat CQB Commander. Stick with quality manufacturers, Wilson Combat magazines and quality ammo and your 1911 will run like a champ.