My DSL keeps disconnecting by itself, randomly and often.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mr. PC, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Mr. PC

Mr. PC Guest

My DSL keeps disconnecting every 4 to 8 minutes, sometimes a little longer. Trying to re-connect is a long effort, and eventually I connect.

My ISP said it was not an issue with them, they tested their lines.

I use an ethernet cable that goes straight into my computer, I do not use a DSL modem. My network adapter is a 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940), part of my motherboard, right?

I usually have a local area connection and a DSL connection on, they both must be on in order to connect to the web. Is this the issue?

Advice? LOL

The driver on my network adapter (3C940) is from 2003. Should I update?

2. Mr. PC

Mr. PC Guest

I just went to Microsoft Update and installed about 9 critical updates.

My Google Toolbar is now GONE and I cant find it when I click on View, then on Toolbars.

The good news is that I have stayed connected now for 35 plus minutes?

3. srhoades

srhoades

Perhaps one of the updates was a fix for PPOE in windows. If you still find yourself getting disconnected, try a different network cable. If that doesn't work your onboard ethernet controller may be on the fritz. You can get a PCI ethernet controller for about $15.

4. Mr. PC

Mr. PC Guest

Damn, I am still getting disconnected.

Network cable and or PCI ethernet controller, thx.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

Some of thos onboard ethernet controllers get cracks in either the solder joints or the motherboard from the strain of the cable. How do you get DSL without a DSL modem? Is it built in to the PC(pci card) and or a combo with a dial up modem?

6. WIMPY

WIMPY

I had the same type of problem with Bellsouth. Got the tech to come out, the line from house to pole checked not bad not good so he droped line anyway and found a couple of big cuts in the middle of the line- who knows how it happened. After new line things are 100%.

7. Mr. PC

Mr. PC Guest

Its weird.

(I dont use a phone line, a router or a DSL modem.)

A thick cable, dont know what kind runs from my street (a metal box in the front yard) about a 100 yards to the back of my house.

At the back of the house there is a plastic box attached to the house, that becomes a Cat 5 cable which runs under the crawl space, that goes through the floor into a very small plastic baseboard port?

An ethernet cable connects to the baseboard port which then runs to my computer and plugs into my motherboards network input?

Does that make sense?

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

Okay I think I understand what it is.

9. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

Sounds like Charles DSL, the dsl modem is in the box on the side of the house. We have several of those out at customers houses. You must be a long ways away from the CO.