Glock Talk banner

My Dog Still Bites Me

1820 Views 35 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  warrior poet
Even after getting onto him for many months, my dog likes to nip at me. Iecan understand his herding instincts when he nips at my hells and calves [which actually tickles--he just kinda "mouths" them]. But, whenever we start playing, or if I pet him vigorously, he has a tendency to bite my hands--even after I have scolded him for it. He finally stopped biting my wife after she started wimpering like a hurt puppy everytime he did it--took about two weeks. When I tried that, he took it as a game, or as "come in for the kill now.":freak:

Any suggestions on how to stop his biting? He is about 9.5 months old now, and 80 lbs.
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· ComfortablyNumb
4,929 Posts
Originally posted by fnhp35
Might not be the best way to train a dog, but illegal? I'd have to say "spanking" a dog would be a far cry from animal abuse. Immoral? Again, animal abuse, yes, spanking a dog, no. I'm also of the camp that a dog is a dog and that there are times when a dog does need phyical correction which might end up being a light tap, depending on the situation. Not that I have any special insight, good luck with your problem.

Andrew
there is a difference between beating a dog and hitting a dog.

beating a dog is more than likely illegal almost everywhere. hitting a dog can range from a light tap to borderline abuse, and should be used SPARINGLY at best.

anything other than an attention getting "light tap" is too much. if you wouldn't do it to your wife or your child, you shouldn't do it to your dog.

people who have to hit a dog don't deserve to own a dog, and dont' know how to train one.

this coming from someone with a VERY hard to train dog...

· Registered
133 Posts
Originally posted by G20man32904

Droanx,
Your dog is wimp now because of one smack, you taught it, it can't trust you, so now the dog is weary of everything.

Hmmm that's funny. Because my dog has always been a wimp. When we got her she was afraid of plastic bags, loud noises etc. The one time I spanked her was about 2 months after we had her. Her wimpiness was already well established.

My main point was what is the difference between tapping the behind (as I did) and shaking a can of coins. They are both the same thing just a different assciation. I know of someone that trained their dog with the can method mentioned. That dog is afraid of rattling coins now. I guess that we shouldn't discipline anyone or anything ever. Just let them do what they want.

This is probably like the debate over whether or not to spank children. Most parents do it but the "experts" say it's ineffective. There is never a right answer.:freak:

· Registered
1,065 Posts
Droanx,
Maybe it’s a case of bad genetics then? Hard to say without seeing the dog first hand and btw very common for dogs to be skittish from bad genes.

Yes, there is a difference between beating and hitting a dog, but neither will accomplish what you’re after.

My point being is that, you don’t need to be physical with your dog to teach it something. Learn to speak to the dogs’ language and you will see what I mean.

Watch the Cesar Millan’s show “The Dog Whisperer”. This is guy is amazing and I use the same methods he does. If a dog is super focused on a bad behavior, he will tap the dogs neck with his 2 fingers with a loud “SHHTT” and it breaks the dogs concentration and gets him/her to refocus on you, which is exactly what you want.

If you want to stop “play biting” then stop rough housing, it’s that simple.

If you wouldn't do it to your wife or your child, you shouldn't do it to your dog.
:goodpost: :highfive:
Proud of you and your Pup dood! You guys have come a long way :supergrin:

· Registered
133 Posts
Very well could be bad genes. Two different colored eyes and she is small for her breed (Beagle). The only problem I ever had with my dog is that one time she peed on the comforter. We had a problem with play fighting at first but I would throw a rope in her mouth and play tug of war and that ends the play fighting. Don't know if that's the right way to do it but it worked for me.

On a side note about bad genes...That doesn't mean the dog won't make a good companion. Our dog I am quite sure is not the best breed purebred but she is very loving and (for a Beagle) easy to train. I am trying to find somewhere in the area to do obstacle course stuff with her to see if she has a knack for it.

And now she is sitting on my lap telling me to get off the comp!! Gotta go play fetch see you later.

EDITED: fixed grammar

· Reload Artist
692 Posts
Droanx,
Maybe it’s a case of bad genetics then? Hard to say without seeing the dog first hand and btw very common for dogs to be skittish from bad genes.

Yes, there is a difference between beating and hitting a dog, but neither will accomplish what you’re after.

My point being is that, you don’t need to be physical with your dog to teach it something. Learn to speak to the dogs’ language and you will see what I mean.

Watch the Cesar Millan’s show “The Dog Whisperer”. This is guy is amazing and I use the same methods he does. If a dog is super focused on a bad behavior, he will tap the dogs neck with his 2 fingers with a loud “SHHTT” and it breaks the dogs concentration and gets him/her to refocus on you, which is exactly what you want.

If you want to stop “play biting” then stop rough housing, it’s that simple.

:goodpost: :highfive:
Proud of you and your Pup dood! You guys have come a long way :supergrin:
I have gotten good results with properly timed smacks. I appreciate that you may disagree, but I have seen good results and know others who have gotten good results. Now that my dog is mature, its never necessary, but when he was a pup, it got the messege across in a very clear way.

I do not advocate beating with an instrument, but I think a good open hand smack while they are engaged in the inappropriate behaviour or soon enough after to make the connection clearly makes the point.

I will leave the legal and moral thing you brought up alone.

-Lonnie

· Registered
1,065 Posts
Originally posted by lcarreau
I have gotten good results with properly timed smacks. I appreciate that you may disagree, but I have seen good results and know others who have gotten good results. Now that my dog is mature, its never necessary, but when he was a pup, it got the messege across in a very clear way.

I do not advocate beating with an instrument, but I think a good open hand smack while they are engaged in the inappropriate behaviour or soon enough after to make the connection clearly makes the point.

I will leave the legal and moral thing you brought up alone.

-Lonnie
The next time you get a pup, I'll tell you what. I'll come to Tx and you can teach me how to steal, finagle, borrow or procure lead and then smelt and cast it, and I will teach you how to train your dog. Deal?
:cheers:

· Reload Artist
692 Posts
The next time you get a pup, I'll tell you what. I'll come to Tx and you can teach me how to steal, finagle, borrow or procure lead and then smelt and cast it, and I will teach you how to train your dog. Deal?
:cheers:
I am all for learning new stuff, but plenty of folks have commented on how cool and well behaved my dog is. Of course, I am the first to acknowledge there is always room for improvement.

-Lonnie

· Registered
7 Posts
Here we go again.... Someone asks for help on a problem and all they get are 2 or 3 people wanting to get into a pissing competition over their opinions.

Notice how the original poster almost always drops out of the conversation when the bickering begins? Wouldn't it be nice if we could feel free to post a reply without the fear of someone's sarcastic, condesending remarks? Why not offer your opinion in a constructive manner that allows everyone to participate, including the original poster? I think this is the kind of advice the poster is looking for.

Any-way, just my opinion on the matter.

I'll stick with my advice that you should not strike, slap, beat or otherwise touch a dog in anger. You can't reason with the animal and explain why you struck them. You cant apologize. Although you most likely will get the results your looking for, it's at the cost of increased anxiety from the animal (are you raising your hand to pet the dog or beat it?).
Dogs also see your hands as a communication tool. Do your hands communicate affection and guidance, or fear.

As far as using noise to deter bad behavior, it works for me and others and is widely accepted as a training tool. You should also use verbal commands with the noise so the dog will begin to associate your commands with his bad behavior. The idea is to get the dogs' attention and to also cause a mild degree of discomfort like with Pavlov's dog experiment (http://nobelprize.org/educational_games/medicine/pavlov/readmore.html).

Remember that you have to train your dog, not just punish him when he's bad. You must have the discipline to consistantly work with your pet and train him to act the way YOU want him to.

I'm not an expert. I've only learned from my experience and what others have taught me.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.
:winkie:

· Reload Artist
692 Posts
Originally posted by martyapo
Here we go again.... Someone asks for help on a problem and all they get are 2 or 3 people wanting to get into a pissing competition over their opinions.

Notice how the original poster almost always drops out of the conversation when the bickering begins? Wouldn't it be nice if we could feel free to post a reply without the fear of someone's sarcastic, condesending remarks? Why not offer your opinion in a constructive manner that allows everyone to participate, including the original poster? I think this is the kind of advice the poster is looking for.

I'll stick with my advice that you should not strike, slap, beat or otherwise touch a dog in anger. You can't reason with the animal and explain why you struck them. You cant apologize. Although you most likely will get the results your looking for, it's at the cost of increased anxiety from the animal (are you raising your hand to pet the dog or beat it?).
Dogs also see your hands as a communication tool. Do your hands communicate affection and guidance, or fear.

As far as using noise to deter bad behavior, it works for me and others and is widely accepted as a training tool. You should also use verbal commands with the noise so the dog will begin to associate your commands with his bad behavior. The idea is to get the dogs' attention and to also cause a mild degree of discomfort like with Pavlov's dog experiment (http://nobelprize.org/educational_games/medicine/pavlov/readmore.html).

Remember that you have to train your dog, not just punish him when he's bad. You must have the discipline to consistantly work with your pet and train him to act the way YOU want him to.

I'm not an expert. I've only learned from my experience and what others have taught me.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.
:winkie:
I stated my opinion. You took upon yourself to declare me wrong, then you are the first to complain about dissenting opnions. I have stated my views on this matter without having the need to declare all others who disagree with me wrong. I expressed my opinion on the very narrow question asked by the origional poster and did not get into the larger discussion about how Dr. Spock would raise a dog. I stand by all tat I have posted.

-Lonnie

· Registered
133 Posts
You say...
Then you say....

Interesting. Anyways, this is an internet forum and this is to be expected. I don't know anyone's credentials here. Someone could say that they are an expert and really not be. In the original question the poster seemed to recieve lots of advice and some people disagreed or agreed. That's where these forums go off the deep end.

Happy Friday Eve and stay safe

· Registered
7 Posts
Sorry if I offended anyone. I don't recall picking on anyone in particular or "declaring" anyones opinion as wrong. I only disagree with the over-bearing way some choose to convey their opinions and hi-jacking a thread. That is just my "opinion" and since I am a legal citizen of this great country I will voice my opinion right along with the rest of you.
Everyone has an opinion based on their own experience, teachings, up-bringing and belief system and I will never tell them they are wrong. I would expect that same courtesy from others.
Just a thought, but maybe if someone is so sensitive to my comments, that might mean there's some truth to it?
Just be nice to your pets! :) :)

· Reload Artist
692 Posts
Sorry if I offended anyone. I don't recall picking on anyone in particular or "declaring" anyones opinion as wrong. I only disagree with the over-bearing way some choose to convey their opinions and hi-jacking a thread. That is just my "opinion" and since I am a legal citizen of this great country I will voice my opinion right along with the rest of you.
Everyone has an opinion based on their own experience, teachings, up-bringing and belief system and I will never tell them they are wrong. I would expect that same courtesy from others.
Just a thought, but maybe if someone is so sensitive to my comments, that might mean there's some truth to it?
Just be nice to your pets! :) :)
It seems we were talking about how to stop dogs from biting before you took the thread here.

-Lonnie

· Registered
7 Posts
You're right Lonnie, I took the thread off track because I was trying to make a point on how the original poster was not getting help, only bickering between other GT'ers.

I did'nt expect to do the very same thing and I apologize to all, again.

Lonnie, I wasn't even inluding you in my original comments so I really am sorry you felt offended. I'm sorry you felt that I declared you wrong even though I dont see that comment anywhere in my posts.

Lonnie, I hope you accept my apology this time so I can stop kissing your ass.

· Registered
106 Posts
Best thing to do is get into a class for simple obediance training....it all starts there. These classes are more for the owner than the dog. Understanding what a dog understands is the key. Trust me ....I have 2 very strong willed Cairn Terriers and if it wasnt for proper training(for me and my wife) they would be out of control. Right now you are the problem ...sending mixed messages by your physical actions. G20man is right on!

· Registered
9 Posts
you should never let the dog put his teeth to human flesh. what is light pressure to you might be enough to break the skin of a child which could land you in a lot of ****. when ever he does this, very abruptly end the play session. acting in a snappy manner put him in his kennel, outside, somewhere that excludes him from the fun and the pack. this is a message that a dog will not misconstrue as play. after tops of ten minutes allow him back inside, out of the kennel etc. DO NOT make eye contact with the dog, IGNORE HIM. do this untill he has gone on to occupy himself and has continued to do so for five minutes. call him to you when he comes give him a treat. trust me you will have to repeat this. this will have to be a learning,assosiative process but you will have success.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.