Glock Talk banner

My Dog Still Bites Me

1817 Views 35 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  warrior poet
Even after getting onto him for many months, my dog likes to nip at me. Iecan understand his herding instincts when he nips at my hells and calves [which actually tickles--he just kinda "mouths" them]. But, whenever we start playing, or if I pet him vigorously, he has a tendency to bite my hands--even after I have scolded him for it. He finally stopped biting my wife after she started wimpering like a hurt puppy everytime he did it--took about two weeks. When I tried that, he took it as a game, or as "come in for the kill now.":freak:

Any suggestions on how to stop his biting? He is about 9.5 months old now, and 80 lbs.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Please don't hit your dog. I know it's hard not to but nothing makes you feel worse than having your pet cower everytime you raise your hand. Could you imagine your wife or child crawling up in the fetal position everytime you got mad because they were afraid of you. I tell you from experience, resist the urge to "spank". Instead, I have found using verbal techniques such as a stern "uh-eh" very effective. If that doesn't work, try putting some pennies or similar noise making item in a plastic 1 liter bottle. Shake it vigorously when he misbehaves.

· Registered
7 Posts
Here we go again.... Someone asks for help on a problem and all they get are 2 or 3 people wanting to get into a pissing competition over their opinions.

Notice how the original poster almost always drops out of the conversation when the bickering begins? Wouldn't it be nice if we could feel free to post a reply without the fear of someone's sarcastic, condesending remarks? Why not offer your opinion in a constructive manner that allows everyone to participate, including the original poster? I think this is the kind of advice the poster is looking for.

Any-way, just my opinion on the matter.

I'll stick with my advice that you should not strike, slap, beat or otherwise touch a dog in anger. You can't reason with the animal and explain why you struck them. You cant apologize. Although you most likely will get the results your looking for, it's at the cost of increased anxiety from the animal (are you raising your hand to pet the dog or beat it?).
Dogs also see your hands as a communication tool. Do your hands communicate affection and guidance, or fear.

As far as using noise to deter bad behavior, it works for me and others and is widely accepted as a training tool. You should also use verbal commands with the noise so the dog will begin to associate your commands with his bad behavior. The idea is to get the dogs' attention and to also cause a mild degree of discomfort like with Pavlov's dog experiment (http://nobelprize.org/educational_games/medicine/pavlov/readmore.html).

Remember that you have to train your dog, not just punish him when he's bad. You must have the discipline to consistantly work with your pet and train him to act the way YOU want him to.

I'm not an expert. I've only learned from my experience and what others have taught me.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.
:winkie:

· Registered
7 Posts
Sorry if I offended anyone. I don't recall picking on anyone in particular or "declaring" anyones opinion as wrong. I only disagree with the over-bearing way some choose to convey their opinions and hi-jacking a thread. That is just my "opinion" and since I am a legal citizen of this great country I will voice my opinion right along with the rest of you.
Everyone has an opinion based on their own experience, teachings, up-bringing and belief system and I will never tell them they are wrong. I would expect that same courtesy from others.
Just a thought, but maybe if someone is so sensitive to my comments, that might mean there's some truth to it?
Just be nice to your pets! :) :)

· Registered
7 Posts
You're right Lonnie, I took the thread off track because I was trying to make a point on how the original poster was not getting help, only bickering between other GT'ers.

I did'nt expect to do the very same thing and I apologize to all, again.

Lonnie, I wasn't even inluding you in my original comments so I really am sorry you felt offended. I'm sorry you felt that I declared you wrong even though I dont see that comment anywhere in my posts.

Lonnie, I hope you accept my apology this time so I can stop kissing your ass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.