Glock Talk banner

My Dog Still Bites Me

1817 Views 35 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  warrior poet
Even after getting onto him for many months, my dog likes to nip at me. Iecan understand his herding instincts when he nips at my hells and calves [which actually tickles--he just kinda "mouths" them]. But, whenever we start playing, or if I pet him vigorously, he has a tendency to bite my hands--even after I have scolded him for it. He finally stopped biting my wife after she started wimpering like a hurt puppy everytime he did it--took about two weeks. When I tried that, he took it as a game, or as "come in for the kill now.":freak:

Any suggestions on how to stop his biting? He is about 9.5 months old now, and 80 lbs.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
4,553 Posts
Every pup I've had seems to want to bite, I think its natural for all dogs! I have used this technique on all my dogs. Simply take their lip, the part on the side of their mouth. Fold it over their teeth, and assert pressure with your thumb, just enough so they feel their teeth on their lip. Then in a command voice say no bite! Apply more pressure as neccessary until they stop, without raising the level of your voice. Even press to the point of getting a yelp if deemed necessary. Your dog will get the point, litterally!

As far as setting your dogs place in the pack, I also learned this years ago. In the pack scenario, which dog eats first? If you guessed the dominant, or alpha, you'd be correct. Simply spit a few times in your dogs food before giving it to him. If you have multiple members in your family have all do so before the bowl is placed on the floor. This will tell your dog that every family has eaten on his food before he is allowed to eat.

Hope this helps!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.