Glock Talk banner

My Dog Still Bites Me

1823 Views 35 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  warrior poet
Even after getting onto him for many months, my dog likes to nip at me. Iecan understand his herding instincts when he nips at my hells and calves [which actually tickles--he just kinda "mouths" them]. But, whenever we start playing, or if I pet him vigorously, he has a tendency to bite my hands--even after I have scolded him for it. He finally stopped biting my wife after she started wimpering like a hurt puppy everytime he did it--took about two weeks. When I tried that, he took it as a game, or as "come in for the kill now.":freak:

Any suggestions on how to stop his biting? He is about 9.5 months old now, and 80 lbs.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Reload Artist
692 Posts
Originally posted by G20man32904
Droanx,
Maybe it’s a case of bad genetics then? Hard to say without seeing the dog first hand and btw very common for dogs to be skittish from bad genes.

Yes, there is a difference between beating and hitting a dog, but neither will accomplish what you’re after.

My point being is that, you don’t need to be physical with your dog to teach it something. Learn to speak to the dogs’ language and you will see what I mean.

Watch the Cesar Millan’s show “The Dog Whisperer”. This is guy is amazing and I use the same methods he does. If a dog is super focused on a bad behavior, he will tap the dogs neck with his 2 fingers with a loud “SHHTT” and it breaks the dogs concentration and gets him/her to refocus on you, which is exactly what you want.

If you want to stop “play biting” then stop rough housing, it’s that simple.

:goodpost: :highfive:
Proud of you and your Pup dood! You guys have come a long way :supergrin:
I have gotten good results with properly timed smacks. I appreciate that you may disagree, but I have seen good results and know others who have gotten good results. Now that my dog is mature, its never necessary, but when he was a pup, it got the messege across in a very clear way.

I do not advocate beating with an instrument, but I think a good open hand smack while they are engaged in the inappropriate behaviour or soon enough after to make the connection clearly makes the point.

I will leave the legal and moral thing you brought up alone.

-Lonnie

· Reload Artist
692 Posts
Originally posted by G20man32904
The next time you get a pup, I'll tell you what. I'll come to Tx and you can teach me how to steal, finagle, borrow or procure lead and then smelt and cast it, and I will teach you how to train your dog. Deal?
:cheers:
I am all for learning new stuff, but plenty of folks have commented on how cool and well behaved my dog is. Of course, I am the first to acknowledge there is always room for improvement.

-Lonnie

· Reload Artist
692 Posts
Originally posted by martyapo
Here we go again.... Someone asks for help on a problem and all they get are 2 or 3 people wanting to get into a pissing competition over their opinions.

Notice how the original poster almost always drops out of the conversation when the bickering begins? Wouldn't it be nice if we could feel free to post a reply without the fear of someone's sarcastic, condesending remarks? Why not offer your opinion in a constructive manner that allows everyone to participate, including the original poster? I think this is the kind of advice the poster is looking for.

Any-way, just my opinion on the matter.

I'll stick with my advice that you should not strike, slap, beat or otherwise touch a dog in anger. You can't reason with the animal and explain why you struck them. You cant apologize. Although you most likely will get the results your looking for, it's at the cost of increased anxiety from the animal (are you raising your hand to pet the dog or beat it?).
Dogs also see your hands as a communication tool. Do your hands communicate affection and guidance, or fear.

As far as using noise to deter bad behavior, it works for me and others and is widely accepted as a training tool. You should also use verbal commands with the noise so the dog will begin to associate your commands with his bad behavior. The idea is to get the dogs' attention and to also cause a mild degree of discomfort like with Pavlov's dog experiment (http://nobelprize.org/educational_games/medicine/pavlov/readmore.html).

Remember that you have to train your dog, not just punish him when he's bad. You must have the discipline to consistantly work with your pet and train him to act the way YOU want him to.

I'm not an expert. I've only learned from my experience and what others have taught me.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.
:winkie:
I stated my opinion. You took upon yourself to declare me wrong, then you are the first to complain about dissenting opnions. I have stated my views on this matter without having the need to declare all others who disagree with me wrong. I expressed my opinion on the very narrow question asked by the origional poster and did not get into the larger discussion about how Dr. Spock would raise a dog. I stand by all tat I have posted.

-Lonnie

· Reload Artist
692 Posts
Originally posted by martyapo
Sorry if I offended anyone. I don't recall picking on anyone in particular or "declaring" anyones opinion as wrong. I only disagree with the over-bearing way some choose to convey their opinions and hi-jacking a thread. That is just my "opinion" and since I am a legal citizen of this great country I will voice my opinion right along with the rest of you.
Everyone has an opinion based on their own experience, teachings, up-bringing and belief system and I will never tell them they are wrong. I would expect that same courtesy from others.
Just a thought, but maybe if someone is so sensitive to my comments, that might mean there's some truth to it?
Just be nice to your pets! :) :)
It seems we were talking about how to stop dogs from biting before you took the thread here.

-Lonnie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.