Glock Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,065 Posts
Lonnie,
Please bro, stick to the reloading forum.

People, don't hit your dog, never, ever, in any case, but self defense. It's illegal and immoral.
That's not how dogs learn, you can rule a dog with fear, or you can be an Alpha and rule a dog out of respect.

There have been many a good suggestions here, but nobody has addressed the problem. Don't rough house with the dog PERIOD, EVER It is a game you cannot win and the dog cannot lose. If you want to play with the dog (which I highly encourage), throw a ball, play tug of war, but don't get physical.

Dogs in the wild don't swipe at each other, they pin them to the ground by their neck and there is no mistaking the message sent by it.

Droanx,
Your dog is wimp now because of one smack, you taught it, it can't trust you, so now the dog is weary of everything.

Check with your neighborhood professional on this and you will see I speak the truth.

If anybody has any questions on this that they don't want to post shoot me a pm.

· Registered
1,065 Posts
Droanx,
Maybe it’s a case of bad genetics then? Hard to say without seeing the dog first hand and btw very common for dogs to be skittish from bad genes.

Yes, there is a difference between beating and hitting a dog, but neither will accomplish what you’re after.

My point being is that, you don’t need to be physical with your dog to teach it something. Learn to speak to the dogs’ language and you will see what I mean.

Watch the Cesar Millan’s show “The Dog Whisperer”. This is guy is amazing and I use the same methods he does. If a dog is super focused on a bad behavior, he will tap the dogs neck with his 2 fingers with a loud “SHHTT” and it breaks the dogs concentration and gets him/her to refocus on you, which is exactly what you want.

If you want to stop “play biting” then stop rough housing, it’s that simple.

If you wouldn't do it to your wife or your child, you shouldn't do it to your dog.
:goodpost: :highfive:
Proud of you and your Pup dood! You guys have come a long way :supergrin:

· Registered
1,065 Posts
Originally posted by lcarreau
I have gotten good results with properly timed smacks. I appreciate that you may disagree, but I have seen good results and know others who have gotten good results. Now that my dog is mature, its never necessary, but when he was a pup, it got the messege across in a very clear way.

I do not advocate beating with an instrument, but I think a good open hand smack while they are engaged in the inappropriate behaviour or soon enough after to make the connection clearly makes the point.

I will leave the legal and moral thing you brought up alone.

-Lonnie
The next time you get a pup, I'll tell you what. I'll come to Tx and you can teach me how to steal, finagle, borrow or procure lead and then smelt and cast it, and I will teach you how to train your dog. Deal?
:cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.