close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

my dog has a drinking problem!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by scowan007, Feb 7, 2005.

1. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

water, that is.

He will drink nonstop if i let him. He pees about 12 times aday. I live in an apt so this is not convenient. Can I limit his water to 2 bowls (1/2 gallon) a day? He is 80 lbs and 7 months.

edited to add: I didn't phrease that clearly. His bowl is a 1/2 gallon bowl, so it would be 1 gallon total.

2. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Hey Scow,
    I'm no vet but a gallon a day is plenty. My 65lb'er goes thru less than a pint a day. :)

3. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

have him checked or call the vet and tell him. I know drinking alot of water is a VERY common thing with Diabetes....(I know my grandpa's Doxie dog was drinking alot and wetting the rug before she was diagnosed with diabetes, and then I was a walking water well before my diagnoses back in 1998---running to the bathroom is SOOOOOOO fun)

course you have a young dog......but it never hurts to check with your vet and maybe talk to him.

4. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Peachie,
    Thanks. I called the vet after my post. They said the same thing. very very long shot, but could be diabetes. I had to get off the phone quick so I couldn't follow up to ask about how to test, etc. I'll call them again tomorrow. Glad i bought insurance, just in case!

5. Wet Dog

Wet Dog

One of my labs will drink a lot of water too. She'll gulp down a whole bowl. If I leave her alone she won't drink, but if I'm home and there is water out she'll drink it all.

Other than a few watery upchucks and needing to go out frequently we're unaware of any problems. She'll be 8 in June and the Vet says she's in great shape.

BEST of luck with your pup. It's heartbreaking when they aren't healthy.

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Oh, I hope nothing is wrong with Iggy!

My neighbor's Dobie drinks tons. Always has. Nothing is wrong with her :)

7. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

THanks,
    I think he's fine, but I'll keep an eye on him.

8. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I also have read some place where puppies tend to drink alot of water, for no reason at all...bored maybe???

Keep us updated, I hope that pup does not have diabetes......I always thought it affected older, fatter cats and dogs......not pups and kittens

9. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

scowan...i went thru the same thing (posted here about it) with my GSD...she would drink all the water i'd put in front of her...filled a 2QT bowl many times a day, then piss when i left. started holding it back, and eventually just left it full all the time.

the older she got, and the more she knew there was water available, she less she drank.

now i only fill up her bowl every other day with water...but i catch her drinking rain water in her bowl outside, or water from the faucet outside in comparison...

at any rate, "excessive" water consumption is not a worry...in some cases, it may be that your dog doesn't know when the next time it'll get water is..

10. utah

utah

My chocolate lab drinks a lot when were home, he doesn't touch his water while we're out. I guess he knows if he drinks he'll have to go and since he's inside he holds off till we get home. Hope there's nothing wrong with yours, keep us posted.

11. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

same with my shepherd now...before she'd drink EVERY bit you put in front of her....hell, if you ran a faucet she'd drink til she puked, i swear.

after she got a bit older, it stopped. now i catch her drinking 'outside' water as opposed to dish water.

12. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

Another data point on outgrowing it- our youngest drank like a sailor and had terrible bladder control until he was 6 months old. (Zero warning on the peeing, like he was doing it to see how fast we could jump~) We were pretty worried for a little while, but he just outgrew it.

-JP