My dog got a stick through her foot

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Feb 22, 2010.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

So, the wife was out with the dog in the pasture. Dog off leash, and hunting for mice or digging the snow, and general running around.

I'm inside with the boy (4yr old), about to snowsuit him up to go out and play. I get a cell phone call from the wife to go out and help her.

I tell the boy to just put your boots and coat on now and we are going out. But he wants his snowpants on. NO, not now, we gotta get going. Water works are about to start, as he wants his snowpants on. LOOK, stop it, we gotta go now, DO AS I SAY, let's go.

Anway, get out to the middle of the pasture and doggie is standing there with a nice 3" stick, sticking out of the top of her front paw. I pick her up and carry her back to the house. Boy tags along, wife opens doors. Heavy dog, but I'm not as stupid as I look. Oh wait, yes I am, I meant I'm not as strong as I look. No wait, I can carry hundred pound sacks of grain, that's what I meant to say :).

Anyway, wife gets cloth diapers (we use them for everything, very handy), pliers, peroxide, eye dropper, other stuff. I'm thinking there's a high probability of a lot of blood.

Boy standing there, watching it all. See, that's why we had to get going, not always time to explain to you, sometimes you just gotta do what daddy says without asking questions. Yes, she'll be ok.

Look at stick, about .355 caliber in diameter. Try to figure best way to pull it out. It was broke off at the bottom so only had 1/2" below the foot, and 3" above. Still thinking about backing it down, cause I don't know if there's any bumps or wide parts I don't want to pull the rest of the way through. Plus, don't want to pull dirt rest of the way through. Hmm. But looks same width at bottom as top, and clean at bottom. I pull some bark off the bottom. 1, 2, 3, out the top. Just a short wimper from the dog.

Surprisingly, the stick missed the pads, missed the tendons, and there's hardly any blood. Flushed out the wound with peroxide forced down the hole with the eye dropper. Put the dog on some anti-infection pills (wife knows about that stuff, I just do the saw bones stuff). Bandaged the dog up, and carried her to her lay down spot. Hours later, took the bandages off, let her lick at it. She walked with a limp/hop. Next day, she was walking around fine.

That's my story :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Now the ongoing joke with the boy is, "Hey, what's the matter, do you have stick through your foot?" Get's him laughing.

But also tried to explain that's why we need to wear shoes outside. He says maybe we need to buy her some doggie shoes. I said, no, explained the paw pads, and that it was just a freak accident, and sometimes that sort of stuff happens. Reitterated that's why he needs to do what I tell him, when something happens, because it might be important to get going and listen to my instructions.

Also explained the old nail sticking out of a board scenario, and how that will even go through a shoe.

You know, it's those moments when life slows down, and all senses get heightened in an emergency. Those types of moments, where it's not all Woody and Buzz Lightyear. Things he's got to learn. I stayed calm through it, but deliberate, and he and the wife were calm, and hopefully he'll learn from that. And we joked about it afterwards.

Glad it wasn't something worse like a broken horse leg, or a car accident.

4. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    New name for dog: Peg Leg Pete.

5. okie

okie GT Mayor

I hope the dog will be okie dokie my friend:angel:

6. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Sticky situ.
    :wavey:

7. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

(Enter a slew of posters that will inevitably tell you the following)

• You should have pulled the stick out the bottom.
    • You should never have exposed your kid to the gore of a dogs impaled foot.
    • Shaving bark off is for wussies.. you should have carved barbs in it and gave the dog a shot of whiskey and a bullet to chew on while you yank the stick out.
    • You're lying.
    • It wasn't .355, but probably a .370 that your wife shot the dog with and jammed a stick through it for a cover story.
    • You should have let the kid wear the snow pants.
    • How dare you not take that poor dog to the vet.
    • Bush's fault.

Hmm.. did I miss anything? :whistling:

Na seriously, good on you. Glad your dog is doing well.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Don't be such a stick in the mud/foot.

9. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

Doh!!! :rofl::rofl:

10. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

I've been there and done that when I was about 7 years old.. absolutely no fun at all. It hurt like hell, bled like crazy, and all I could do was walk in circles 'til someone came to help me get my foot unstuck.. :rofl:

11. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

you are that dog's hero, man. good, loving job.

12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Yeah, I know rural perspective is different than urban perspecitve.

I did take my son to a doctor once, however, after I was unsure about my operation on him. Wasn't sure if I had gotten all the tick out. Darn thing was in the belly button and about impossible to reach, so figured I'd get a second opinion :rofl: