close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

my dog cowers at the sight of my guns...

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by testosterone, Sep 14, 2004.

1. testosterone

testosterone

I find it really strange..he sees me holding a gun and he cowers in the corner...anyone else have this happen with thier dog?
    how would he know to be scared of a gun? and no i wasnt pointing at him...

2. pizzaaguy

pizzaaguy

You dog must be a DE-MUTT-CRAT ;z

3. Slobberchops

Slobberchops WTF?!?!?

maybe the smell of Hoppes!

4. Dandapani

Dandapani

My Yorkshire Terrier can't stand the snapping, racking, clicking sounds as I work the action... Weird dog. He also hates smoke or burning stuff on the stove. He must have flash backs to his time he spent in Vietnam and Cambodia, must be seared, seared into his memory...

5. Spen84107

Spen84107

My dog can't stand my guns either. I have a blow-dart gun that he absolutely hates.

I've been trying to help him gain confidence by holding a treat in one hand, and the gun in the other and having him come within inches of the gun to get the treat. (of course, unloaded, and always pointing at the floor.) It seems to be working, he's not quite as nervous as he used to be.

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I am betting the dog was "abused" at some time with a gun. Before you got him, he could have saw another animal shot or something similiar.

7. ede

ede Bama's Friend

wifes cocker spanial and my shepard lab mix both scared of guns, just seeing them. my rotweiller and her jack russel aren't

8. PzGren

PzGren

The sight of a gun should be neutral to a dog - unless associated with noise. Some dogs are afraid of loud noises, my Great Danes absolutely hated gun shots and fireworks. My Rottweiler just did not care for the noise, my Doberman just finds it loud.

9. digitspaw

digitspaw RIP 08/95~09/09

Sure he's not a Boston "Kerry-er"? ;z

10. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Just a thought...

Do your dogs act differently towards you when you drink a few stiff drinks or indulge in any psychoactive substances? Have you noticed how some people's demeanor changes when they handle firearms?

Perhaps pets can pick up on small degrees of this, and fear the changes that come over their beloved pack leader. Which they then attribute to the gun.

Or maybe they can sense our carnivorous hunter's instincts, and they realize they are composed primarily of meat...?

Interesting, testy.... Has your dog been exposed to the sound of gunfire in the past? I have seen dogs become gun-shy while inside a closed car at the range, out in the parking lot and never actually outside during the shooting...

Remember, dogs' ears are far more sensitive than ours, and that likely means that their ears find the blasts much more unpleasant than we do.

Do thunderstorms freak him out?

Perhaps immersion therapy would be the right treatment...always asociating an unloaded firearm with the dog's favorite treats and activities, to 'de-sensitize' the little guy before this grows into a full-fledged neurosis.

Good luck,

FastVFR

11. Miss Maggie

Miss Maggie

I wonder if Fastvfr isn't right, that it's some change in you he senses and doesn't like.

I had a toy poodle a few years back who had a friendly, loving personality with everyone he met. I kept him at my place of work most of the time. When he encountered customers, he was always friendly and playful with all except for two people. When he encountered these two people, he reacted differently. One of them he snarled at and the other I had to hold onto him to keep him from going after. I do believe he would have sunk his teeth into the second person if I hadn't picked him up and held him under my arm. He snarled the whole time in the presence of these two people. He displayed this behavior any time either of these two came into the place. The only thing I could ever figure out was that I did not like either of these people and dreaded having any dealings with either of them, although I couldn't show it. Even though the people never knew I dreaded the sight of their faces, the dog knew and was responding to my feelings.

12. SDScott

SDScott

Miss Maggy, That is interesting. My theory is that dogs have a 6th sense about people, (most LEO's have developed this sense as well) and 'know' who is basically good or not. Watch your dog around folks, and those your dog doesn't trust, you shouldn't either.
    Our neighbors dad had the same theory, and she ended up marrying the only boyfriend her dad's dog didn't bite.

Back to the question about gunshots, my dog hates the noise. Unfortunately, she has taught the puppy to cower at the site of a gun. Since neither of them is a hunting dog, I've never tried to correct this behavior, just don't take them along when shooting.

13. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

I have two terriers. One is a Cairn, the other a Wheaton. The Wheaton will disapear at the sound of a firecracker, the Cairn will attack it. When I bring out a firearm, the Cairn will be directly in front of me a few feet, looking directly at the gun, waiting for it to go bang. When it does, she runs off in the direction that the guns was pointed. The Wheaton will always be behiind me. If I turn around, she will still be behind me shortly.

I've always said that the Cairn was a smarter dog, but the Wheaton has better gun safety knowledge...

14. Miss Maggie

Miss Maggie

15. Guest

Butch the cat doesn't have that problem....;f
    [​IMG]