My doc had better get his act together.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Alchemy, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

In May my application papers were supposed to be sent the hospital rehabilitation center for me to learn to walk with my artificial leg. So I patiently wait for a call from them to get scheduled. Well, as time goes on nothing happens. So I call them and they have nothing in their system on me?

So I tell my doc what happened and he said that he'd look into it. He doesn't handle this personally, aside from a signature on the form. His staff handles this. So I call his personal assistant last week and ask her what's going on. She tells me that she'll fax it out tomorrow.
    So I call rehab again and they still haven't heard of me.

This should have been taken care of in may. I should have had 3 months of therapy by now.

I've been in this damned wheelchair for over 2 years and It's starting to cause physical problems. I've developed a flexion contracture in my right hip because I don't have a leg.

I sincerely hope that someone finally gets their **** together, because I'm really getting pissed. I need to get out of this damned chair.

-JCN-, NDcent, nursetim and 2 others like this.
  2. wyatterrp

wyatterrp

So the docs office definitely dropped the ball. Unacceptable. My guess is most if not all have had experiences where an office has failed to follow up. It boils down to the patient being the advocate in these situations. Be relentless. Don’t allow a month or more to pass before follow up. Call daily. Demand to speak to the office manager or administrator if not handled in a timely manner. Also reach out via email or Doc online (whatever the practice uses for e-communication ) so you have an e-paper trail and attempt to communicate direct to the MD.

Then go find the online insurance sites that rate MDs. Rate your doc on your practice experience. Be fair and detailed when able. Theoretically this hits them in the wallet (pocketbook) and will drive change. Sucks that this is the way it is but it won’t improve until more people demand improvement/excellence.

Sounds like there is ownership on both sides here based on details provided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NDcent, Alchemy and orangejeep06 like this.

3. powernoodle

powernoodle

One approach would be to bother the doc's office so often - even daily - that they get the ball rolling just to get rid of you.

But the real question is this: can you hide a Glock 42 inside your artificial leg? In the end, that's all that really matters.

Alchemy, NDcent, SWFlGuy and 3 others like this.
  4. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

I hope this all gets sorted out shortly. tom. :cowboy:

Alchemy likes this.
  5. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Know a lawyer that can send them a friendly reminder? It'll piss off the doc, but he deserves it at this point. He should include the time line you described.

6. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Yes I do accept ownership on my side. I have a tendency to sit and stew. Then I get really mad and aggressive. I've learned one thing through my 3 years of orthopedic Hell, That I have to be my own advocate. And I dropped the ball on this one by not being assertive on my behalf.

Mick's Lady and Paul53 like this.
  7. Paul53

Same here. I let docs bleed me dry ignoring what I told them. Gas in one state was a tumor in another state. People trust docs too much.

Alchemy, MB-G26 and Mick's Lady like this.
  8. Mick's Lady

Mick's Lady

God I feel for you! Thant sucks!

One thing Trump has done is shape up the V.A. Mick saw his doctor last week for surgery he needed for mending a torn rotator cuff. Community Care (which Trump replaced V.A.s Choice with), called in three days with a Doctor's. appointments here in town. (Beats driving hours to SLC!) I'm still amazed!

But Rick, you've had your share of misery. You really need a break here. Set your Wife on 'em. I swear I terrified half the VA years ago. Tried killing them with kindness, then brought up my buried NYer. Never knew what hit 'em. I swear some still shake when they see me!

9. Dave514

Dave514

The squeaky wheelchair gets the grease. Call and Call and Call and Call. You're too far down the pike to start over elsewhere and the only reason the doc had better get his act together is for YOUR sake, not his. The financial leverage is gone there. Call and Call and Call and Call.

Alchemy likes this.
  10. Paul53

Oh, the VA! Your elected reps usually have a staffer dedicated to dealing with the VA. Give them a call, especially if they are on a committee that handles an important budget.
    You've more than paid your dues and deserve better.

11. fatduk1963

fatduk1963

Hire one of those stinky people the ones who don't bathe and wears clothes that have not been washed for 6 months to set in the doctors office with you and tell them you will be back 3 days a week until they do their job.

Or turn it over to the news as a human interest story.

Or put it on Facebook with the doctors office address and phone number. Public shameing does wonders.

And never forget that you are in my prayers every day.

Alchemy likes this.
  12. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Sorry to hear this. Sometimes you have to follow up closely. Ask the Dr. Why this has been delayed. There might be a reason. If not he or she should understand your feelings.

13. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

This is one doc that I don't want to piss off. He's the best doc that I've ever had the pleasure to be one of his patients. He's considered the most preeminent doctor in Salem, Ore. It's his staff that are falling down with this issue, not him.

Just a little background on him. He's a Hematologist Oncologist - MD PhD. Aside from medicine his primary goal in life is philanthropy. One of the many things that he's done is donate a half million to the Kroc Center when matching funds were necessary for It's construction. He's been known to send some of his cancer patients on make a wish trip.

He was also the republican candidate for Governor in the last election. Unfortunately he lost. It's impossible to get a republican governor in this state because It's becoming so liberal. So now we have a bisexual woman as Governor, who's sole mission seems to be to disarm the citizens of Oregon.

14. collim1

collim1

There is no time for a ****ty doctor. I had doctors waste my time with a serious illness and multiple misdiagnoses. Never again. I don’t tolerate it now. If the doctor can’t help me I walk and find a new one.

Robert Cohen likes this.
  15. Powder

Powder

Can’t you do any basic rehab by yourself at home? Stretching or whatnot? 99% is probably not rocket science and every little bit would help.

16. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

17. NWPA

NWPA

He's a doctor, not God. Fire him!

18. Detectorist

Detectorist

There can be a big difference between a Doctor and his staff. I expected to hear good news at the end of this thread.

Call three times a week.

19. flyover

flyover

Keep on them.

20. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

It's up to you to be your own patient advocate. You need to stay on top of everything. I'll get probably get flamed for saying this but I would have gotten my therapy and been able to walk before I got my dick fixed.

Alchemy and Ay Dios Mio like this.