close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

my dell laptop fan

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by cannoncocker, Sep 4, 2004.

1. cannoncocker

cannoncocker unknown race

Hi everyone
    The small fan i guess its the power supply fan doesnt seem to be running or maybe it is when i dont notice it.Is it suppose to be always on?
    rod

2. podwich

podwich

I'm not sure about Dell laptops (mine's an IBM) but in general laptops only run the fan when necessary to save on battery life. However, I only have 1 fan on my laptop and no fan on the power supply/transformer.

3. cannoncocker

cannoncocker unknown race

the reason i ask is my laptop is getting old 4 years and i havent been paying attention so ill try and let the battery run down.

4. podwich

podwich

What I mean by not having a fan on the transformer is that there isn't a fan on the box on the power cord. I have only one fan-the fan in the computer itself.

I don't think you're going to notice anything different by running the battery down.

I really don't think you have a problem, especially if it's been this way for 4 years. If you are worried about it, you could try going to Dell's forums at http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums and asking there. They have some pretty knowledgeable people there and may be able to help you further.

5. nothing

nothing Advertisement

Most laptops only run the fan when necessary to conserve battery life. If it isn't locking up or giving you any noticable problems I wouldn't worry about it.

6. Guest

I have a dell and i can really hear when my fan starts.

7. DragonRider

DragonRider

If you look through the forums on dell and hear about a program called ikfangui. Its a program that allows you to monitor and adjust your fan setting. I used it for a bit years ago.

I thought the fan were supposed to kick on to help lower the temperature? I also use a coolpad from http://www.coolpad.com/ so that my lap doesn't get hot on my lap.

HTH

John

8. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff The baddest

Had an old (3-4yr old) Dell laptop start shutting off randomly and finally traced it to a heat problem. I found out that the fan had melted on the thing b/c Dell has set the BIOS to turn the fan on at an absurdly high Temp, b/w 70 and 80 degrees C.

Try finding a fan for a Dell that old and don't try calling Dell unless you speak Hindi to get a replacement. Not to mention that Dell doesn't have them so you probably have to go to a computer boneyard to find one for a laptop this old.

So to make a long story short, I found this little program that helps you to control the fan on the Dell machine and set it to turn on at a lower temp.

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/

Hope this helps.

9. mark836

mark836 Guest

mine only comes on once in awhile (Dell inspiron 8000)