Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is 20. She is going to school in Memphis. She does not live on campus.

I have done some reading and it looks like she can own a handgun or a long gun. She just can not buy a handgun from an FFL.

Can anyone confirm or refute this? Share links to the actual code?

I looked here. No possession of firearm for those under 18 is all I see.

https://casetext.com/statute/tennes...lic-health-safety-and-welfare/part-13-weapons

·
Huge Member
11,510 Posts
OP is correct an 18 year old can legally own a handgun, just can't buy one from an FFL. That's a Federal thing. And sorry, I'm too lazy to look it up for you. It's probably on the ATF website somewhere.

·
Registered
8,848 Posts
https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-is-the-age-required-to-buy-a-pistol-in-tennes-1781160.html

These two attorneys say:

- an 18 year old can possess a handgun in TN
- any age can possess a long gun in TN
- per Federal regs, you have to be 21 to purchase from a licensed dealer in any state
- you may be able to purchase under 21 from an individual, but seek further guidance on that.

My view would be that you could give your 20 year old daughter a handgun, and she could lawful possess it in TN. She just cannot buy from an FFL until she is 21.

This is not legal advice.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Grew up 90 minutes from there. There's definitely parts of the town not to be! She's good to possess it, just can't purchase a handgun till 21.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Please tell her to be careful. I grew up in Memphis....please be careful.

Is she going to the University of Tennessee or Tiger High?

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-is-the-age-required-to-buy-a-pistol-in-tennes-1781160.html

These two attorneys say:

- an 18 year old can possess a handgun in TN
- any age can possess a long gun in TN
- per Federal regs, you have to be 21 to purchase from a licensed dealer in any state
- you may be able to purchase under 21 from an individual, but seek further guidance on that.

My view would be that you could give your 20 year old daughter a handgun, and she could lawful possess it in TN. She just cannot buy from an FFL until she is 21.

This is not legal advice.
This ^ is the way to go... Gift her a handgun... I’ve no doubt that you will be certain that she is competent and knowledgeable about the handgun she will possess... It’s what dad’s do....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I hate to say this cause it will be so hooted down here on GT. For her first gun I would get her a Buckmark Camper in .22LR. Hear me out. It is very easy for a woman to work the slide. It is easy for her to shoot and to ENJOY shooting and get proficient with it. IF she is involved in a incident it's a "cute" little target .22. For or five holes in your chest from a mini mag HP is no joke. Now when/if she is ready you can get her a 9mm. Again your post implies she has had doubts about a pistol and now has decided to get one. Don't let her get NEAR any .40 Glock. The Buckmark can be had in a little 4 inch configuration that is the best little starter gun for a WOMAN there is. It is "adorable". Even if she goes quickly to a centerfire a little .22 pistol is always a handy backup. The 5.5 inch version is good and packs a bit more punch. Nothing turns a woman off faster than struggling with a hard to work slide. My sisters took to the buckmarks like a duck to water.

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,749 Posts
Do you and her live in the same State?

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
If she is in Memphis she needs a gun. Maybe two.
Ugh, I only worked once in Memphis (driving a half million dollar worth of specialized equipment van) without a gun in the van.

The rest of the times, work rules be damned, I went armed.

Reactions: Gray_Rider and MCCM

·
MacGyver
7,752 Posts
Think motorcycle, or helicopter

The question is training. Is she willing to learn (train) to use it for its intended purposes.

No point in owning a car or motorcycle or helicopter if you can't drive/ride/use it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
She's your daughter, but I personally think any caliber, pistol, verses rifle, verses shotgun discussion is moot if the homeowner hasn't gotten past two things.
1) The competency to use the chosen firearm.
2) The mentality to use a firearm in a life or death situation.

Those are always different thresholds for different people, especially new gun owners.

·
Registered
12,463 Posts
I hate to say this cause it will be so hooted down here on GT. For her first gun I would get her a Buckmark Camper in .22LR. Hear me out. It is very easy for a woman to work the slide. It is easy for her to shoot and to ENJOY shooting and get proficient with it.
This is designed to be easy to shoot and it makes bigger holes, you can also get them in 9mm. If possible the OP could take his daughter to a range that rents pistols and have her shoot the .380 and the 9mm.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-380-shield-ez-crimson-trace-green-laserguard

1 - 20 of 100 Posts