My Custom G17 Grip Project

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by NAPCOTPE, Feb 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. NAPCOTPE

NAPCOTPE

Hey everyone:wavey:New to the forum, so I thought that I would start off with one of my projects. Hope you enjoy it

I started the project thinking that I would use my dremel tool to do most of the work, but quickly found that it was too aggressive. I ended up removing the factory texturing by hand with a razor, and finishing it off with sandpaper.
    [​IMG]

It took quite a few hours for me to get it to "what I felt" was an acceptable level. My thumbs and fingers were sore for a couple of days from all of the sanding.
    [​IMG]

After the prepping, I got to work on cutting out the pieces for the inserts. There were a lot of test pieces used to figure out the proper fit for everything before the finish pieces were cut. This in itself was a time consuming process.
    [​IMG]

I used a product from a company whose name I won't plug, because I found that they only take a pre existing 3M product (which sells for $1. at hardware stores), use some sorry excuse for a die cut pattern, market it as if they invented this revolutionary material, and sell it to you for $8. The material itself is freaking fantastic (THANK YOU 3M, for such a great product). The material has a rubberized feel, and provides excellent grip (wet or dry). The pieces on my grip do not represent what you would get from said "not named" company.
    [​IMG]

In my opinion, the "feel" of this set-up is a vast improvement over the factory Glock texturing. This grip is very comfortable, non abrasive, and offers an improved gripability over factory texturing (wet or dry)