My conundrum.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Tomcat1977, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

I have 3 Glocks and have bought some parts and accessories for each. Typical stuff, holsters, extra mags, my 34 is set up perfect and dont need to mess with it. Both my 43 and 19 do OK but Im thinking of making my 19 my main carry gun which means I'll need a few accessories and Im not happy with the sights, and would like a different trigger, so I could easily dump $300 to $400 into it to get it EXACTLY the way I want it.

With my 43 I want new sights on it so Im looking at $100 to $200 I could easily spend on that one. Mind you both work fine I would just like them perfect.

So my other option is to do what I usually do and just keep on buying guns as I get the itch. And lately Ive been having an itch for a 2" to 3" magnum revolver for concealed carry. Which is a big hole in my collection I dont have currently filled.

So should I spend the money perfecting my Glocks or buy a weapon I really need and leave the Glocks in an imperfect but serviceable state? I cant find the answer yet but I only have $500 to $800 to play with.

2. Emmett4glock

Emmett4glock

My vote's for the revolver.

3. PreciousChud

PreciousChud

Don't screw with the triggers and get some Glock night sights for sixty bucks.

Buy a Ruger GP100 and call it a day.

Valmet likes this.
  4. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Conundrum is a decent wine, by the Wagner Family, who started with their Caymus wines.

Oh... never mind! If you have an itch for a wheel gun, who can argue? It is a nice addition to the firearm family! I have a few unremarkable S&W revolvers, and I am glad I have them around. The 340PD is super light, and is a nice, lightweight, jacket-pocket carry gun in the winter.

5. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Do you anticipate that you will carry a lower capacity, heavy revolver instead of the light weight 43 or the higher capacity 19? It seems like you have two perfect carry options already that can fill varying needs.

Don't get me wrong, I love revolvers. I learned to shoot on one. My first issued duty gun was one. I've carried a J-frame 340PD as a CCW. (Note the past tense).

Really, the only time I even use a revolver is when teaching someone new to shooting.

If you just want one, that's fine. But since you asked, my vote would be spend the money on tweaking your Glocks and then buy that GP100 or a cheap used Smith wheel gun.

6. PreciousChud

PreciousChud

Eh. I carry everything I own. Glocks. Hi Power. King Cobra. Python. LCR.

I'll likely never pull them unless someone is stealing diapers from Wal Mart but they're just fun to carry.

7. First shot

First shot

Go the revolver route. There's plenty of them out there and you can always use an extra firearm in your arsenal. Great excuse to buy another. First shot.

8. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Depends on the revolver. Heck with the Magnum, get a GP100 .44 Special, your ears will thank you.

And personally, I would not put non Glock parts in a Glock unless it was purely a range toy. Heck, I wouldn't do that either, but trying to be open minded.

Glock night sights are cheap, easy to install and you can buy them direct from Glock's webstore.

Mike-M likes this.
  9. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

My Advice - Shoot the light snubby before you plunk down the Money$$$
    Be sure you run some magnums in there...

After that, you will have the information you require to make the intelligent decision!

:)

10. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

The problem of collecting vs a better shooter is never satisfying the addiction. Either address the weakness or address a direction with more foresight. Disregard this note if the addiction cannot be addressed.

refugeepj likes this.
  11. Emmett4glock

Emmett4glock

Real Police, check out these two videos:

Not a personal recommendation but showing what's out there at an inexpensive price point.

12. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

$300 to $400 to get G19 like you want??? Phew...what other than trigger and sights you got in mind?

13. joe sacco

joe sacco

I vote for S&W 640 pro. 357, perfect sights, right size. best, Joe

14. Mike-M

Mike-M

It's hard to beat the advantages toward accurate shot placement that a good revolver has over most recoil-operated locked-breech auto-pistols:
    1. Muzzle heavy.
    2. Permanent lock-up of sights to barrel to frame.
    3. Excellent single-action trigger.

I like the GP100 in .357MAG with six-inch full underlug barrel and Meprolight adjustable night sights as an outdoor carry weapon, just about even with my G31.

The SP101 in .357MAG with three-inch barrel and fixed sights is what I carry in my pack, whenever I choose the G31 for main outdoor carry duty. If I choose the GP100 for that role, I carry no other handguns.

There's just something that remains attractive and natural about a revolver, even after one has been using auto-pistols for decades. :)

You don't need to spend a penny on that G19, outside $57 for OEM night sights that you can buy direct from Glock through their website.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  15. Jump Boot

Jump Boot

Yep,GP 100,44 spl. but to think I have a Smith Airweight in 38 spl.

16. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

This 100%. Aside from night sights, don't mess with the factory trigger. As for revolvers, I'm a S&W guy but if I were buying a NIB gun, I'd go Ruger all day these days.

17. Tomcat1977

Not just that. I needed a shoulder holster too. For my primary carry gun Ive always had a shoulder holster for it, old injury dont ask. And the particular sights I want are expensive as is the particular trigger.
    I saw an EAA at a store the other day. They seem to be about the only ones who make what I really want and thats a blue'd .357 or .44 2&3/4" to 3" wheelgun with an actual rear sight. I like the Ruger LCRx a lot but they only make a 3" blue with rear sight "I hate guns without rear sights" in 38spl. Why would you only make the .357 mag in 1.87" barrel and no rear sight but make the .38 WITH the rear sight and longer tube? http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/lcrx/models.html

So I was back to square 1. I saw this at a shop the other day https://eaacorp.com/index.php/guns/handguns/windicator-weihrauch-112 but I have no experience with EAA. The SP100 frame is a little to big for me, I already have a 686. Which brings me to S&W.

They make the 340 Scadium. Which is pricey and the one with the grey cylinder looks weird.. The M60 would be perfect but they dont blue the damn thing and I hate trigger locks. I wouldnt mind a larger frame if it was a .44 mag but nobody makes blue steel .44 mags anymore with tubes of 3" or less and I see custom used ones going for $1,500 on the web. Forgetabout it. BTW I shoot full power .45s and .454s for fun, recoil isnt an issue.

So Im left again looking at my Dawson Precision order form with G19 adjustable sights and Vogel trigger as well as my Midway sight for the Galco Miami classic shoulder holster. And since my g43 shoots a little high I might as well go all the way and find nirvana with that. Im retired now but I had a epiphany last week that maybe I'd be better off with more bullets on me and carrying the 19 more.

This epiphany was shortly followed by the remembrance of a buddy of mine shooting the heart out the back of an armed robber with his .357/125 grn JHP. And I really, really like blue steel revolvers.

Hence my conundrum. Which Im still in the middle of.

18. PreciousChud

PreciousChud

I was going off of his five to eight hundred dollar budget range and I know the GPs are about six hundred. Didn't feel like browsing any further for advice that likely won't be followed. Gotta get that match target trigger above all else.

19. Tomcat1977

Yeah if your going to be sarcastic dont browse or post any further.

I like what I like. If I dont like sights or a trigger I replace them with one I do. Even when keeping a low profile when you live in a place that see's thousands of shootings a year you want your rig right. Ive had to pull a gun 1/2 dozen times thru the years off work for stuff starting at armed robbery and ending at attempt murder. Diapers are the least of my concerns.

Im surprised anyone would hesitate to replace a Glock trigger. Its like a Lego set, what could go wrong? Thanks to those with the helpful reply's.

20. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Yep...trigger, sights, and holster does add up if you get the good stuff.

Lot of people are apprehensive about doing too much to carry guns due to reliability issues, but I personally am not as the trigger is well built and installed, correctly, and you have some shooting skills. You want your trigger job gun reliable at the range and when you race it...why not carry? You just gotta be REAL sure it's done right if you carry it.

Where you're at now, I'd lean towards the revolver. It sounds like you really want one, and if your Glocks are 'OK', maybe just do 25 cent trigger jobs, for now, and use the sights that are there until your cash flow opens up, some.