close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My computer was running so slow

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dalton Wayne, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

For the last month my computer and my wife and kids computers were just bogged down running like crap, I thought I needed more ram, then the wife who is self taught it tech kept saying the modems bad, so I exchanged it for a new one and WOW my cumputer now runs like a raped ape, here I was ready to take it to the geek squad, who would have thunk it. :cool:
    Regards
    DW

2. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

Next time take a little time... my inlaws just brought down their five year old PC to give to my five year old. My son has been running my eight year old PC just fine but the inlaws thought they'd be updating him.

Mom in law said her computer was sooo slow it wouldn't work. I offered to remote in, she just bought new.

I removed 1.2 GIGs of temp files. McAfee was the problem- it took over an hour but I removed that sucker and freed up the system. Another hour to remove 'free pc booster', 'modem booster', security booster', 'free pc booster', etrc and the system smokes. My five year old now rocks Noggin.com in his room!

3. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

Or you could've spent 45 mins loading the OS fresh and been done early. :tongueout:

4. Drjones

Drjones

Seriously.

I'm a big believer in just formatting the drive & starting fresh.

5. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

hell yeah. of course then you gotta wait a few days for the thing to update...but yeah clean installs are the best

6. area727

area727 G23

Especially after years of use. Windows gets itself all knotted up. This is the only way to go.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

You mean all of those programs aren't super awesome? ;)

I agree.. Its just to much of a headache scanning, removing, scanning again, removing some more, scan again... Reinstall and you're done in an hour, and thats assuming you have a ton of files to move back onto the PC.

IGF

8. Drjones

Drjones

:supergrin:

I've learned the hard way a few times that it can be painfully slow to transfer files OFF of old computers. Just recently, took somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3 hours to copy a clients' files off an old WinXP machine, but only 15 min to copy them onto a brand-new quad-core - using the exact same USB hard drive, of course.

That's why I'm switching to somewhat of a "thin client" setup and I'm keeping all my files on my NAS (and then of course backing that thing up to TWO separate external USB drives).

That way, I can reinstall windows every few months & save myself LOTS of time moving files around.

9. CableRouter

CableRouter

Note for the future: When you install a new OS, split the HD partition; one smaller section for windows (5gb for XP, 10 gb for Vista, 30gb for Win7), one section for all your other files.

After install, move your Documents folder to the other partition (start - right click on Documents and select properties) and be sure to install all your programs on the other partition as well. Then when you need to reinstall Windows, and trust everyone who's commented on this, at some point you will need to reinstall; you can just reinstall on the windows partition and not have to worry about backing everything up. Plus, many of your programs will still run from the other partition when you're done without having to reinstall them.

10. Drjones

Drjones

Good advice.

Even better, and critical if you have any number of music or picture files that you care at all about keeping safe, you ought to look into an NAS - basically a box with two or more hard drives that connects to your home network.

You can use it to stream media to different computers and TVs, all the computers (or none if you specify) can access it, and it keeps your data mirrored over 2+ hard drives, guarding against the failure of an individual drive.

Could save your bacon....

11. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

There are 2 kinds of GrandMa's in this world, and I have met and worked with both types...

#1 - She KNOWS where that OS installation disk from 5 years ago is filed, and it's in the original wrapper!

#2 - "Oh, I need that stuff now???" says GrandMa... "I haven't seen that stuff in YEARS..." Next hour spent looking with no joy...

Whack and re-install always sounds good, but probably 60% of the time they don't have the disk, or will upgrade later...

Hmmm... that just gave me a great idea for an article for my Blog!

HTH

12. Stoneofrefuge

Stoneofrefuge

There is a program I use to wipe hard drives clean. It depends on what setting you want. They have like 16+ different settings. I prefer the Guttmann method. No program is able to retrieve any data off the disk after it has been wipe. It uses different aligrims to surefire clean. It will take longer to clean due to the speed and time it has to take. the program I am mentioning is Darik Boot "n" Nuke is available for free off the net. It works wonders. Most of all, Its free. :)

13. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Partitioning a hard drive is a flaky proposition at best. The second partition can go away and loss of data is very possible, with a low recovery success rate. The second partition is a file.

Maybe Spinrite of one of the other tool will recover the drive, maybe not. But I buy a drive off the web for around $100.00 and add it as a data drive then back it up.

14. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Compaq, HP. Dell and Gateway have used hidden restore partitions on their hard drives, and some other do too. ;)