Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Viva Hate
22,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I own a cat. I don't want to hear any anti cat bull****.

I've had her for about 8 years - she was an adult when I adopted her, and the shelter didn't know how old she was at the time... best guess is that she's about 10-12 right now.

She just got a serious respiratory infection (being treated with antibiotics) and when they ran the tests they found out she has hyperthyroidism and will need daily meds for the rest of her life (explains some issues with her weight and her jitters).

It sucks... I've never had a pet for this long, pretty damn attached to her.

This isn't the biggest worry I have right now, but it's the biggest I care to share on a public forum.

Thanks for letting me be a wussy.

· Registered
18,800 Posts
If you need a shoulder, let me know.

I have just weaned three tiny kittens whose mommie couldn't feed them. Sadly, one died before I found out about them. We weighed them Monday and they were an even pound, .9 and .7 for the little runt girl.

I have a very sick kitty now, too. She had a respiratory infection when I found her in May. She was about a month old. Two rounds of antibiotics cleared it up but she still can't breathe right. To find out more she will need to be knocked out and xrayed...and I just don't think she will be able to live thru that. She doesn't appear to be hurting but she has to stop and rest going from the basement to upstairs. I don't know what to do... We are taking the love her silly and spoil her senseless approach right now but once she appears to be in any pain... She has adopted these little kittens and sleeps with them, bathes them and makes sure they are OK. At least she got the chance to be a "mommie" even if they aren't hers and she couldn't nurse them.

Yeah, I share your pain...

· Impossiblist
43,839 Posts
Sorry TD. My cousin has a cat that has to have IVs every night and ****. I hope everything goes ok, and Im sure it will.

The pugs send their happy thoughts to your feline.

· Premium Member
8,319 Posts
Had a cat that we force-fed for 4 years straight (another reason I didn't like the Clinton years). He had kidney problems since day one pretty much. Lived to a ripe old age all the same.

Life has an amazing tendency to endure, and endure, and endure.

· Viva Hate
22,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MK, KT, Craig.

They drew blood and did a chest X-Ray on her, she was not happy about that. Now she has to take 6ml of liquid antibiotics everyday, which she hates and soon she'll start on her thryoid meds.

I've been letting her sleep in our bed lately, cause I feel so bad for her. She'll wiggle her way right next to me and sleep there all night.

:sigh:

· The Mouth®
10,386 Posts
TD....a pet is a pet no matter what species it is.

I'm not particularly fond of cats. I'm more of a dog person, but we have had a cat for a little over 18 years. It's hard not to get attached to a critter that's been around that long.

Hope all works out well for you.

And if you tell anyone I actually kinda like this cat, I won't admit it.:supergrin::cool:

· Eh?
11,726 Posts
Bogey;11393307 said:
TD....a pet is a pet no matter what species it is.

I'm not particularly fond of cats. I'm more of a dog person, but we have had a cat for a little over 18 years. It's hard not to get attached to a critter that's been around that long.

Hope all works out well for you.

And if you tell anyone I actually kinda like this cat, I won't admit it.:supergrin::cool:
The old fart is correct. A pet is a pet, and your companion. I'm a dog guy, too, but understand some cats are great companions. Hope things work out for ya.

· Sharon, you will be missed.
26,373 Posts
What they said. I know the attachment you can form with a pet. We lost two dogs within about a year, last year, so I totally understand. I hope your kitty tolerates the meds well and perks right up! :hugs:

· Not chillin’
5,079 Posts
Nothing at ALL wrong with having a cat, TD. I've grown up with them since I was a baby. Let that cat sleep wherever she wants! Not to hijack, but my cat of 17 years had to be put to sleep this summer. She had renal failure, and it was pretty much hopeless. Numerous vet visits... but we decided enough was enough and put the poor girl to sleep. She's not suffering anymore, but we sure do miss her. :sadangel:

We hope yours pulls through, man!

· Viva Hate
22,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Annoyedgrunt;11393993 said:
Nothing at ALL wrong with having a cat, TD. I've grown up with them since I was a baby. Let that cat sleep wherever she wants! Not to hijack, but my cat of 17 years had to be put to sleep this summer. She had renal failure, and it was pretty much hopeless. Numerous vet visits... but we decided enough was enough and put the poor girl to sleep. She's not suffering anymore, but we sure do miss her. :sadangel:

We hope yours pulls through, man!
That's rough... I think it's the right thing to do when the time comes though. I've seen a lot of people let their pets suffer because they couldn't let go of them.

Emma's doing ok, she hates the medicine. Apparently the antibiotic they're using is formualted for kids, because it's raspberry flavored and bright pink.

Couldn't they make it fish flavored or something? Or at least a color that didn't make her look like Cyndi Lauper when it gets in her fur as she fights against every drop? :rofl:

· hates you
32,565 Posts
TylerDurden;11394175 said:
That's rough... I think it's the right thing to do when the time comes though. I've seen a lot of people let their pets suffer because they couldn't let go of them.
Yes. When my dog Homey died, he was put to sleep well after he should've been because I just couldn't handle it. I still feel more than a little bit of shame about that, and when it's the youngest dog's time, I intend to be stronger for him.

· Broken Member
1,515 Posts
let's just say i've spent about 5-6k on keeping my dogs healthy and repairing them. I understand.

· Viva Hate
22,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
osiruscyn;11394422 said:
let's just say i've spent about 5-6k on keeping my dogs healthy and repairing them. I understand.
Damn... You gotta do what you gotta do to take care of 'em, right? They're part of the family.

So far I'm out about 1k with Emma.

· Viva Hate
22,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eyescream;11394387 said:
Yes. When my dog Homey died, he was put to sleep well after he should've been because I just couldn't handle it. I still feel more than a little bit of shame about that, and when it's the youngest dog's time, I intend to be stronger for him.

Homey was a cute one, the young one is too.

I'm sure I'll have to make that decision in the next couple of years with Emma... it'll be tough.

· Broken Member
1,515 Posts
TylerDurden;11394527 said:
Damn... You gotta do what you gotta do to take care of 'em, right? They're part of the family.

So far I'm out about 1k with Emma.
mine kept getting in fights with each other and so we tried training them with collars, and then that with hospital surgeries and **** for them. At the time my wife and i didn't have kids so they were our kids. Once we had our first boy, we couldn't take the chance of the one dog that started all the fights attacking him so after their last fight, we ended up just putting her down. She hated anyone but my wife and i, hated all other dogs, we couldn't find anyone to take her so i had to chose between my son and the dog. Needless to say, the dog went. It hurt like hell but had to be done.

· Viva Hate
22,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
osiruscyn;11394580 said:
mine kept getting in fights with each other and so we tried training them with collars, and then that with hospital surgeries and **** for them. At the time my wife and i didn't have kids so they were our kids. Once we had our first boy, we couldn't take the chance of the one dog that started all the fights attacking him so after their last fight, we ended up just putting her down. She hated anyone but my wife and i, hated all other dogs, we couldn't find anyone to take her so i had to chose between my son and the dog. Needless to say, the dog went. It hurt like hell but had to be done.
Man, that sucks. You did what you had to though.

What breed(s) were they? I had a friend that had a pair of Shar Pei brothers and those things fought like hell with each other until they had to be put in different homes.

· Broken Member
1,515 Posts
the one that started all the fights was a 20 pound pit bull/jack russell terrier mix. We got her at 6 weeks old and the pound said she was part pit. She was with her mom and it was a red nosed pit. OUr dog was either the runt or something but she didn't look a thing like a pit. She had the mentality of one though.

The other is a 60 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback / pit bull mix. Real friendly, mild tempered, calm dog. But when the other dog started the fight, it was on like donkey kong. The little dog couldn't understand that she was going to get killed every fight and still started all of them. We still have the ridgeback pit mix and she is great with our kids. They can mess with her, pull her tail, and bite and pinch and pull on her and she just sits there. Of course we don't encourage it but sometimes it happens. She's great with the kids. I think it's because she knows he feeds her all the time. Since we got rid of the other one, no fights at all with the ridge back and our other dog which is a shepherd/ lab mix. We had three total and are down to 2 now.

· Viva Hate
22,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
osiruscyn;11394613 said:
the one that started all the fights was a 20 pound pit bull/jack russell terrier mix. We got her at 6 weeks old and the pound said she was part pit. She was with her mom and it was a red nosed pit. OUr dog was either the runt or something but she didn't look a thing like a pit. She had the mentality of one though.

The other is a 60 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback / pit bull mix. Real friendly, mild tempered, calm dog. But when the other dog started the fight, it was on like donkey kong. The little dog couldn't understand that she was going to get killed every fight and still started all of them. We still have the ridgeback pit mix and she is great with our kids. They can mess with her, pull her tail, and bite and pinch and pull on her and she just sits there. Of course we don't encourage it but sometimes it happens. She's great with the kids. I think it's because she knows he feeds her all the time. Since we got rid of the other one, no fights at all with the ridge back and our other dog which is a shepherd/ lab mix. We had three total and are down to 2 now.
I think some little dogs have Napoleon syndrome.

Too bad the little one had to go, but it's good that things are copasetic now.

Ridgebacks are cool dogs, I got to find homes for a couple when I worked with the Humane Society - those that I interacted with had a great demeanor.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts