My cat is afraid of the patio door mat area

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by sdsnet, Jul 29, 2007.

1. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

My cat asks to go in and out of the house via the patio door. When I open the door to let him out he takes forever before exiting. It is like he is afraid of the area where the door mat is usually kept which I removed to see if that was the problem. When I get tired of waiting for him to exit I push him along and he literally jumps straight up to avoid touching the area. It is like there is some thing that I can't see but he can that he is afraid to touch. When he comes in through the door it does not seem to be as much of a problem. Other doors in the house do not bother him at all.

I had a different cat many years ago that did the same thing. It was like he didn't want to touch the carpet in certain areas. He also would jump high in the air to avoid touching the area.

This has been going on for a long time. Recently I have cleaned the area and also sprayed for bugs. I thought maybe he was afraid of fleas jumping on him or something but I can't figure it out.

Any ideas ? Has anyone else experienced anything like this ?

2. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

My cat had an issue with going into the bathroom. He used to run past the door and would not step foot in there. It wasn't really a "problem" per se, but I wanted him to feel comfortable in the whole house.

What I did was move his food and water dishes progressively closer to the bathroom. Eventually, I had the dishes all the way inside of the bathroom and over time he got comfortable in there.

Cats respond very well to food rewards. Find a treat that he'll go nuts for and feed him that treat when he gets close to the area he's afraid of. Also, don't feel sorry for him. If you do you are "feeding" him weak and negative energy and giving him a reason to feel more uncomfortable.