close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Car, mice, and what to do?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Wolfgangamadeus, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Wolfgangamadeus

Wolfgangamadeus

ARG, long of the short, went to start the Z yesterday after a few mos in storage, open the door, bird seed, in nice piles all over the car. I start the car, no problem, 5 mins in, smoke is billowing fron the bay and under the car.

Well, now im kinda screwed, I'm guessing it's the structures the mice or chipmunks built in the car, God only knows where, but i cant start the car again b/c it might catch fire.

Ive no idea what to do here. Tow it to a mechanic and have them inspect? what the right call here?

2. goldenlight

goldenlight

Open the hood, hose out the engine compartment, staying away from the electrical components. Then flip a coin about starting it.

I know somebody who had to spend $2400 in electrical repairs, after mice chewed up the wiring. And the car was in an underground garage, and driven semi regularly (elderly owner).

I store a car for the winter; but so far, no problems. I keep comprehensive insurance coverage on the car, just for this kind of thing.

Good luck.

Good luck

3. holyjohnson

holyjohnson

if you`r really not comfortable jacking the car and getting under (don`t laugh A LOT of people are)
    call a local shop with a lift,they will gladly lift it and check under it.
    i can`t say what the cost will be but call a few some might do it just for a future customer.plus the tow charge ask for a flat bed.but if they do it for you for free tip em,and maybe keep them in mind for a service.

4. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

It depends on how mechanicaly inclined you are. The best bet is a shop, but that could get pretty expensive in a hurry. Hosing out the engine compartment is a good idea to start. The smoke worries me. Could have been a nest on the exhaust manifold, or it could have been a harness going up due to a short. If you didn't have any warning lights on when you shut it down, there probably isn't any wiring damage yet. Getting and keeping the mice out is the real problem. I pulled the the blower motor to remove mice and nests on mine and my wife's cars nearly ten times one winter. Some strategicaly place D-con and we didn't have to worry about it anymore. Pics of the engine compartment would help.

5. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

One of the things mice like to do is chewing through coolant hoses. So be careful starting the motor, it could be dry.

6. Caver 60

Caver 60

When you get your problems figured out and the car running again, put some mouse bar bait poisons in strategic places under the hood. Change them out about twice a year.

If you don't know where to place them, ask your local mechanic. I keep them in my cars all year around.

7. DukeNukem

DukeNukem

The smoke is coming from somewhere that would've gotten that hot in a short time. Open the hood. Look around the exhaust manifolds and especially the spaces between where the exhaust comes directly off the engine. Hopefully you don't mean it was pouring out the tailpipe. I assume you are more savvy than that. If you don't find anything there, time to go under and look atop the exhaust system. If you want to prevent in the future, seal up the unit as best you can, mice can get through very small gaps. If this isn't possible, plenty of traps. Put traps along walls and in corners. Mice move along the walls because they have poor eyesight. Use poison as a last resort because it takes a little while to cause them to internally hemorrhage and they can get into funky places before they die. You can get big traps that hold a bunch of mice in glue inside the trap or my fav the old school spring kind. I love catching rodents.

8. PISTOLHUNTER

PISTOLHUNTER

[​IMG]

I just shoot them. lol

back on topic:

sticky paper around all the tires, and poison pellets in all corners of the garage.

9. Wolfgangamadeus

Wolfgangamadeus

OK, the ***** of it is that i found this on sunday, and im outta town until saturday. I may just have it towed to a lift, b4 more damage is done...I will get the floor jack and have a look 1st.

I do have comp on thecar, but its a 1992 and books around 5 or 6k, so im not sure if the ins company will total it if the damage is bad enough.

think i'll pick up one of these as well http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/65A3648A0A0.aspx

http://www.carcapsule.com/

10. Adjuster

Adjuster

People who store motor homes, travel trailers etc over the winter swear by dryer softener sheets. Something about the smell keeps the rodents away. Just buy the cheap sheets from the dollar store and place them throughout the interior and under the hood. Make sure you remember where you put them so you get them all out before running the car. A problem I could for-see however if they don't work the mice are going to drag them into all the little spaces to use for nesting material.

When you saw and smelled smoke you should have been able to tell if it was electrical or plastic smell as opposed to sticks and grass used for nesting. I would thoroughly go over the car with a good flashlight and a shop vacuum with one of those thin wand attachments. Hose out with high pressure water all under the car and carefully in the engine compartment. Start her up and see what happens.

11. Wolfgangamadeus

Wolfgangamadeus

^^^ yeah, i didnt mention that the smell of the smoke was nature, either toasted rodent or nest material...or a combo.

12. captainstormy

captainstormy

To avoid problems in the future, look for a product called "Fresh Cab". Basically its an air freshener pouch. It smells like evergreen trees to a person but apparently rodents hate the smell and it drives them away.

I was skeptical about it at first. Its one of those hippy organic non kill solutions to a rodent problem. But it works *GREAT*. I tried it after I had some mice(or rats, not really sure) chew some of the wires in my truck. I keep a pouch in my engine compartment (obviously where it is nice and snug and won't go anywhere) and one in the cab of my truck and I've not had troubles since.

I got mine from Amazon, If I remember right it was about 20 bucks for 4 pouches. They last about 3 months or so.

13. happy seal

happy seal

They dont like moth balls either! Tie em up into stockings and place around vehicle!

14. snappy

snappy

How do you catch the moths?

15. LEAD

LEAD

Borrow a cat, place some traps, dont use poison unless you want to find dead bodies around the garage and hidden throughout your car.

16. Nubbins

Nubbins

Dryer sheets dont work. When I live in the country and had my old car I tried the dryer softener sheets when storing the car for the winter when I brought the car out in the spring I found mice nest under the seats made out of seat stuffing and dryer sheets:steamed:....but the car smelled great!:supergrin: