close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My cake did something odd...

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by MrsKitty, Dec 10, 2004.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I just baked a rum cake to take to our Christmas party at work. Of course something had to happen :(

It kinda rose then fell, but mainly on one side. I used a fancy Bundt pan so when it fell on the one side, it tore the edge off. It tastes great :) but looks odd...

Any ideas on why a cake would only fall on one side? I checked it for air bubbles before putting it in the oven. It was raining all day here if humidity has anything to do with it.

2. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

got a few questions for you kitty....1...was it a scratch cake? 2. if so did you follow it to the "T"?...and if you added more rum than normal you would have to add a bit more flower....also if it was rainy and humid you have to adjust the amount of flour used too...also since it sank on one side was it overly moist or wet on tha one side? if so you might not have mixed it enough to equally distribute the ingredients and mix them accordingly....other than that tough to tell what went wrong without more details as to what kind fo recipe it was and what you did and it called for and if any alterations were made to the recipe....good luck next time. i am not a good baker for i dont like to follow directions to the "T" i like to cook to taste and make things taste great so im excellent at that with food recipes but not with baking recipes for they are more liek a formual and if you vere off it a smidge it effects the result...good luck and try again is my advice...lolwhen in doubt go back to the drawing board....good luck xox :) :) :)

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

half-way through baking.

Your oven may heat in an uneven manner.

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Hiya Kevin! :)
    Nope, not from scratch. It is the infamous Bacardi Rum cake starting with a mix that I have altered the recipe for--and no I won't share because I plan on winning a bake-off with it ;). Although I have changed some ingredients, the proportions of liquid/dry are the same and I use a Kitchen Aid mixer as I am lazy.

Lethal,
    Our oven is gas and has always heated evenly before...

Tastes great, just looks odd ;g

I have a secret I will share though: when I butter my pan, I use sugar to "flour" it instead of flour or cake mix. This gives it a good crunch ;f

5. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

good tip on the "flouring" with sugar...but try the powdered sugar instead of the granulated if you dont want the crunch ...the powdered will give yu the flour-like function and wiont get crispy for the flour in the pan scorched and gets bitter taste...but thwe powdered sugar makes it sweet...just another idea to the tip you had both of which work great...kisses to ya misskitty. thanks so much

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Bustin' Caps

Sounds like the oven is the culprit. Bake a sheetcake to see if it does it too, that way you will know which side it does it on. Also walk very lighty in the kitchen, my momma used to fuss at me cause I would walk leadfooted in the kitchen.

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I baked a sheetcake a couple weeks ago. No problems :)

Nobody was even upstairs while it was baking, we were all downstairs until the oven timer went off...

Odd, just odd. I have about decided it was "one of them things..."

8. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Kitty,

I've had cookies that ended up flat and weird when the weather was bad. I always suspected that weather had something to do with it.

I have also learned that for some reason I have better luck if I let everything come to room temperature before baking with them. Ex: eggs in a cheesecake.

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Bustin' Caps

Now weather will do it too. I used to bake Civil War hardtack, and you can't bake it when it's humid, it just messes it up so bad.

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Sounds like humidity then.

It messes up more than hair... ;b