Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Brew Crew
28,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been quite a while since I’ve been on here. Been doing me, work keeps me busy and two high drive German Shepherds soak up my evenings.

I finally bought a car trailer last summer. One of those things I always wanted, needed one many times or a buddy did but we never had one handy. People don’t like to loan them out and rightfully so.

Found a place up in Iowa called HP trailers. Guy that owns it started H&H back in the early 90’s. It’s a smaller outfit but they pump some badass trailers out. I had called around locally and was quoted almost 5k$ for a 20 foot 7K GVWR manual tilt, so off to Iowa it was. Opted for the winch plate up front and bulldog coupler in the 7K package.

Kickass trailer and used it some but needed to get a skid steer earlier this year then the oh **** moment hit me. Got a trailer and can’t use it, whoops! Perhaps I could of put a 7500 plus skid steer on it but I’m not into pushing limits and taking a chance on breaking stuff these days if I can avoid it.

I sold it, for my money back and sat down to really think out my next purchase. Shopped around some more but nobody with their mass produced trailers could touch the price or quality of the HP. These guys use 6” channel with a 10,400k setup and go to 8” channel on a 14k trailer for the main frame. Most of the mass produced ones I looked at use a 6” channel on their 14k trailers.

If I was hauling a skid steer or mini track hoe everyday I would have went with the 14k setup but opted for the 10,400k pack for once in a blue moon heavier use. Went it with the electric tilt, winch plate in floor, bulldog coupler, drive over fenders, rub rails and the charcoal paint instead of black that everybody and their cousin has. This thing is SWEET! I’ve pulled some trailers through the years but nothing pulls as good as these damn things, both of them took the ride home behind my truck like they were on rails with it.

lesson learned, this has taught me the value of doing your homework and really thinking out a larger purchase before you pull the trigger.

If you are ever in the market for a trailer, just got with the 10k pack at the minimum imo.

0AFBC1C9-EE5D-47DD-B902-075B0DEF730D.png
BDA71A31-7D56-4BB0-8483-4B579F3FCC82.png

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Trailers are like most other things, life is better with more than one. I've accumulated 4 through the years, built three of them. I need to thin the herd

·
Director of civil unrest
10,305 Posts
I've a couple of utility trailers, one enclosed and one small open one with a tilt down "ramp" on it. My next trailer will be something like this.
How much did that set you back if you don't mind my asking?

·
Brew Crew
28,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've a couple of utility trailers, one enclosed and one small open one with a tilt down "ramp" on it. My next trailer will be something like this.
How much did that set you back if you don't mind my asking?

The new one with all the upgrades I opted for, I was 5020$ out the door. Glad I went with the electric tilt, it’s like having your own roll back.

·
Premium Member
26,613 Posts
Trailers, can be like women’s shoes. I am scared to try to count them.
ALWAYS go at least one upgrade in axles, tires. I swear 95% of time person shows off brand new trailer. In 4 minutes they realize the axle, tire is undersized to likely load.
How can the sell bumper pull cattle trailers with 3500 lb tandem axles? Max 7000lbs. Plus tongue weight. Trailer weighs @3000 lbs. they hold 7 1200 lb cattle. Can you say overloaded? Iirc we called 5200 axles, tires were $600 more. The 6k axles $1200 (more then 3500)
Always upgrade axles. You will overload it. I have NEVER been upset I spent extra beefing up a trailer.

Picked up a electric forklift. Guy said he destroyed a few trailers setting them on. Then realized not only were axles heavier, but knowing heavy payload in extreamly small package a 2nd temp floor was made over axles. Beams on plywood so load spread out. Zero issues. (Ok plywood protecting plank floor was dented)

·
Brew Crew
28,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trailers, can be like women’s shoes. I am scared to try to count them.
ALWAYS go at least one upgrade in axles, tires. I swear 95% of time person shows off brand new trailer. In 4 minutes they realize the axle, tire is undersized to likely load.
How can the sell bumper pull cattle trailers with 3500 lb tandem axles? Max 7000lbs. Plus tongue weight. Trailer weighs @3000 lbs. they hold 7 1200 lb cattle. Can you say overloaded? Iirc we called 5200 axles, tires were $600 more. The 6k axles $1200 (more then 3500)
Always upgrade axles. You will overload it. I have NEVER been upset I spent extra beefing up a trailer.

Picked up a electric forklift. Guy said he destroyed a few trailers setting them on. Then realized not only were axles heavier, but knowing heavy payload in extreamly small package a 2nd temp floor was made over axles. Beams on plywood so load spread out. Zero issues. (Ok plywood protecting plank floor was dented)
They charge 650 for the 10.4 pack and 895 for the 14k upgrade. They plate the 10.4 at 9900 though for tagging purposes.

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
All mine have 6-7k axles and 8 hole wheels..............interchangeability is marvelous.
On my "light" trailer, I just swapped in 4400 lb springs on the heavier axles.
It and the last one I built have the ability to tilt.

·
Premium Member
26,613 Posts
They charge 650 for the 10.4 pack and 895 for the 14k upgrade. They plate the 10.4 at 9900 though for tagging purposes.
In MN you decide what weight to plate your trailer at. It can have tandem 7k axles and you can plate it for any amount you want. (But you can’t haul more then you plate it for) might as well plate for max. It’s few $$ more. Exemptions are great. Check what you might qualify for.

Relative was in S Carolina bought a pickup there. Wanted to bring his car home. I said you can rent a dolly, trailer, or buy either. Most dollies you can resell for what you paid. He decided he needed a flatbed trailer. Was going to get short, lite rated. Just more then his car. I suggested a 20’ 5200 axles at least. He went 6k axles. Now anything his truck can pull, his trailer can safely haul.

Other guy bought standard Cattle trailer. Half ton Chevy, no brake controller....

·
Brew Crew
28,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In MN you decide what weight to plate your trailer at. It can have tandem 7k axles and you can plate it for any amount you want. (But you can’t haul more then you plate it for) might as well plate for max. It’s few $$ more. Exemptions are great. Check what you might qualify for.

Relative was in S Carolina bought a pickup there. Wanted to bring his car home. I said you can rent a dolly, trailer, or buy either. Most dollies you can resell for what you paid. He decided he needed a flatbed trailer. Was going to get short, lite rated. Just more then his car. I suggested a 20’ 5200 axles at least. He went 6k axles. Now anything his truck can pull, his trailer can safely haul.

Other guy bought standard Cattle trailer. Half ton Chevy, no brake controller....

Haven’t tagged the new one yet with the courthouse being closed and all that fiasco. It was like 45 bucks to tag the other one a year so I doubt this one will be much more.

Not sure why you’d run without trailer brakes . That’s another thing I noticed shopping around a lot of the mass produced ones only run brakes on one axle, they put brakes on both axles with these. Hauled my suburban which is probably around 5k and the trailer is almost 2400. Can’t imagine trying to stop that without brakes and my half ton.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a Featherlite aluminum open trailer,a 8.5x24 ft enclosed trailer and just purchased an 08 6.5x12 landscape type trailer which is in excellent shape.2 things I do to my enclosed and the new trailer.Swap those Chinese bearings out for good Timken bearings and then put tire covers over the tires when not in use. My aluminum trailer is out of the weather and doesn't get much sun. You got a good deal on that trailer.

·
Premium Member
26,613 Posts
Haven’t tagged the new one yet with the courthouse being closed and all that fiasco. It was like 45 bucks to tag the other one a year so I doubt this one will be much more.

Not sure why you’d run without trailer brakes . That’s another thing I noticed shopping around a lot of the mass produced ones only run brakes on one axle, they put brakes on both axles with these. Hauled my suburban which is probably around 5k and the trailer is almost 2400. Can’t imagine trying to stop that without brakes and my half ton.
He is too cheap to spend the $200 to have a electric controller put in his truck.
You can buy them @$50 and do it yourself.

·
JAFO
14,210 Posts
Nice to see you post my friend.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts