close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My buddy met a skunk last night!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Jeep274, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

I let my lab outside last night around 11:00pm before bed and 2 minutes later I smell skunk.:( Kody was at the back door looking very confused. Seems the skunk sprayed him square in the face. That is the most nauseating smell.;0 I was up for 2.5 hours scrubbing him with ****** and then tomato juice. He still smells, but not nearly as bad. I just got into work and that is all I can smell. It is driving me nuts.

Anyone have any suggestions of what works best to destroy skunk stink? I am planning on going home early today and spending another couple hours bathing him good.;g

2. Slobberchops

Slobberchops WTF?!?!?

3. joker1

joker1

Also try a home remedy given to me by a "Critter Gitter".
    A box of baking soda, a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, a tablespoon of Joy dish soap. Mix up in a bucket right before using. Sponge 'em down real well. Let it soak a bit and rinse 'em off. Works pretty well. Then get a .22 and go get that skunk because a lot of dogs don't learn.

4. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Thanks guys. I am stopping at the store on the way home to pick up these products and see how it goes. Joker, the .22 was my first thought last night. I'll have to get the spot light out and keep watch for him to return. :cool:

5. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

there is a recipe (either this or very similar) that was said to turn black dogs 'chocolate' colored...

just something to keep in mind...if it works, it works!

as for skunk smell...the only thing that worked for my pup was a couple good baths and a lot of TIME. :)

6. Slobberchops

Slobberchops WTF?!?!?

hydrogen peroxide can bleach the dog's coat

7. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Couple months ago my Buddy came over with a case O' beer to help me celebrate the birth of my Son. As We were just about finished I see this cat run into my garage. That Darn cat has been ripping apart my garbage and now I've got 'em!! So I run into my darkened garage to take care of Mr. 9 lives , and it's not a cat! EEGAD!!!!So instaed of my .22 I grab my trusty digital camera! Here I am all tanked up and chasing a skunk through my garage! not one of my brighter moments to be sure! and no, I didn't get sprayed!!;f

8. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Holy crap NYRedneck!!!!!!!!!! ;P ;P

Jeep274??? Has anyone mentioned TOMATO JUICE on the pooch??? Hydrogen Peroxide WILL bleach the hell out of the dog's fur...don't do that!!! ;P

9. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Thanks everyone. I did realize that his coat would be bleached by the hydrogen peroxide, so I did not go that route. Peach, we did try the tomato juice (3 times) and while it definitely helped, he still smelled pretty bad. I ended up at Petsmart on my way home yesterday and got a bottle of "Natures Miracle Skunk Odor Remover". It is a 32 oz. bottle for $8.99 and wow does this stuff work. I applied it to him per the instructions and it really worked. Basically you just saturate the dogs coat, being careful around the eyes and ears, and then let it dry completely. I used a saturated cloth on his face and after about 1.5 hours he was dry and smell free. I could not believe it. I will always have a bottle of this stuff in the closet from now on. I highly recommend it. Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Nyredneck, that was damn funny. It's amazing what one will do with a few beers in them. Too bad your buddy didn't have a camera to get a picture of you chasing that skunk with your camera. I keep picturing this in my head and cracking up.;f

10. Slobberchops

Slobberchops WTF?!?!?

^c

and thanks for the heads up on a good product!

11. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

We had a dachshund who was sprayed twice in a single fight with a skunk he uncovered in our barn. My father said he jumped on top of a refrigerator to escape the fury.

Go to the grocery store and get you two of those HUGE cans of tomato juice. Put it on the dog and let it sit all day. Rinse at the end of the day. The next day, do it again. The acid in the tomato juice will get rid of the smell.

I also have a former SIL who is a chemist and has a batch of "chemical" components that you can do the same thing with if you'd like me to get that recipe.