my buddy just bought a bike. I have a riding partner now.

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by TimP, Sep 7, 2005.

1. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

My buddy is fairly new to MC's He has only ridden about 2 yrs on his 03 CBR600. He just traded up to a 2005 Yamaha R1. Looks like I have the slow(er) bike now. I took a spin on it and its nice, but I couldnt ride that thing all day, its just not comfy to me.

Did I mention how freakin fast that thing is?

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's not freaking fast. It's frighteningly fast. The new Gixxer 1000 is even faster.

3. BikerRN

BikerRN

Gee, 2 years of riding expirience? I just hope he can control the dang thing. Sport Bikes tend to be unforgiving when you make a mistake.

I don't mean to sound negative, but he will make a mistake, it's just the way we humans do things. With 2 years of expirience I doubt very much that he could even begin to ride to the bikes capabilities. I just hope your Buddy don't become a statistic.

More and more I'm starting to lean towards "graduated or tiered" licensing like Australia has. Start your butt on a little 250, then move up to a 500, then go to anything you want. It takes 2-3 years before your Buddy would be able to buy and ride that bike if he was Down Under.

OK, rant over, I just hope your Buddy can keep the rubber side down. Good luck.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It all depends on what sort of two years of riding experience one has. Two years of putting around, two years of goofing around, two years of dedicated study.

5. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

he took the MSF course a few yrs ago. He's pretty level headed, been to a few track days.

6. ChaZ

ChaZ Millennium Member

Yeah yeah yeah. We should have a law that make everyone start shooting at 22LR then move up to .380 then up to 9mm and finally up to .45 auto.

-ChaZ

7. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

Good one, ChaZ......

:cool:

8. BrianM_G21

BrianM_G21

So you two would start an 8y/o kid on a .45, eh??

Glad my dad had more sense, and my Daisy BB gun is a prized gun in my collection (along with the multiple state championship trophies that came with graduated learning). Motorcycling is the same way ~ jump in big and 'manage', or work your way up and have total control.

Kinda like giving a 19y/o (2 years of experience driving something like a Miata), a Ferrari Enzo. Makes tons of sense... ;Q

9. ChaZ

ChaZ Millennium Member

My first bike was a '83 Kawasaki ZR1100. No accident.

My second bike is a 2004 Vespa GT which is 200cc. Got in an accident with it and it wasn't even my fault.

Yes, Australia and England has a system where you have to start on a small engine then move your way up to bigger engine. It still doesn't help reduce their accident rate. If you were to go there and ask if they like their system, rest assured that they will tell you that they do NOT like it. Same with their gun laws...

And if we allow our government to dictate what bike we can ride, what's to stop them from saying that 1200cc or 1100cc engine size is way too much (too fast) and we need a cap on engine size?

But that's totally off-topic. Let's hope his riding partner doesn't get himself in accident...

-ChaZ

10. BikerRN

BikerRN

Not to pick a fight, but I have been to Australia, even married an aussie. I have yet to meet anyone from Australia that dislikes the tiered licensing from the safety standpoint.

Yes, people complain about the system because they can't just go buy the latest, badest, fastest scoot out there and ride away like we do. However, the aussie mentality is a little different too, and they recognise that the graduated license system is one that works for teaching you how to ride if you use it properly and get your kilometers in.

Personally I believe in "Personal Responsibility" but too few people in today's society do. That is why we have the Guv'ment involved in everything from toiletpaper to burritoes. That is also why I think a tiered license system is needed in this country, because people fail to take responsibility for their own selves.

Anyway, stay safe and have fun. Me, I'm just waiting for my Ducati, get it Tuesday. (Thursday Now)

11. ChaZ

ChaZ Millennium Member

You do, indeed, have communist blood in you ;f

Regardless of where we both stand, I'll still respect your opinions...

-ChaZ