My Argument for a Grip Plug

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bobandshawn, Jan 22, 2010.

1. bobandshawn

bobandshawn BOBO

Hey everyone,
    I've been debating on getting a grip plug for my 26 for some time now - and read both sides of the argument religously (stuff getting in vs. stuff getting out). Well, today I made up my mind! After a few months of EDC and range use I decided to take a look and see what might have accumulted and was deeply upset with all the lint in the area directly leading to the firing pin mechanism (see image). I have ordered a plug.

Regards,
    Bob

2. HighwayStarPP

HighwayStarPP bang bang bang

:) welcome to the dark side, however my RTF2 came with a plug in it from factory :whistling:

3. inkked4life

inkked4life

I think the main reason to avoid using the plug in case you have a magazine jam and have to yank it out of the magwell. You have more leverage when you place your thumb into the hole. However I like the way the plug finishes off the look. I wouldn't worry too much about debris, unless it falls into the mud. Its a glock. :thumbsup:

4. glock_this

glock_this

I run a plug on my 23, never had a mag jam in +10 years so it has never been a worry to try to get more leverage on a mag and not to concerned about if that "might" happen. As well, assuming your not in a defense situation, those plugs can be popped out pretty quick and easy anyway.

5. Small Tony

Small Tony

I put one on my G27. IMO, I think it makes the gun look more complete. However, each time I took it to the range it would fall out so I put a tiny amount of black silicon in there and it never falls out.

6. farley45

farley45

Clean your firearm more often...

7. Pygmalian

Pygmalian

I agree with the comment that it makes the gun look more complete but it also aids in guiding the magazine in quickly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. bobandshawn

bobandshawn BOBO

Farley - I clean and lube it after every use - but never noticed the butt!

~B

9. NWoutdoor

NWoutdoor

Yes, it does look good.
    But, it also takes away a great place to grab the mag and yank it out in case of failure causing the need to "RIP" the mag out of the grip...Sure you have the sides but that hole is on the gun for a reason.

I've trained much. A lot of my trianing included class time. The instructors (Oregon police, county SWAT) stated to never use a plug.

Yes we shoot reliable guns...just my .02 cents.

10. cgnelson

cgnelson Asset Investigator

I am going to put one in my G23 since I am carrying it daily, sometimes IWB. I used to carry a Kel-Tec P3AT and before I traded it I gave it a good cleaning and there was so much lint inside the gun it was nasty.

I am going to get the plug/tool combo for mine.

[​IMG]

11. LEAD

LEAD

Nex test will be to see how much junk gets trapped in there after the plug is installed

12. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

You solved your "lint dilemma" for only 7 bucks? :kidding:

13. Dmeister

Dmeister

I think the plug argument will go on forever...

The anti-plug people argue the hollow space is there because:

1) It's a drain to let water out.
    2) It's a garbage disposal to let out crud from the firing mechanism.
    3) It's there specifically by engineering design, so just leave it that way, doggonit!
    4) It's there to help strip out a magazine.

The pro-plug people respond:

1) Water will drain out just fine if you put a plug in. They're not watertight. Stop dropping your gun in puddles.
    2) You should be more worried about crud getting up and into the firing mechanism. Roll around in the dirt and sand for a while with that funnel-shaped opening and see what happens.
    3) You bet it's there by engineering design! If it was solid, the molded polymer would shrink when it cools and would deform the stock. This is probably the only engineering reason for the hollow space.
    4) It was there to help strip out a magazine when non-drop-free magazines were the standard. These mags can still be found and used, so they left the mold as-is.

Personally, my only concern with that big funnel-shaped hole would be something accidentally getting up and in to the mechanism that would prevent it from firing, so I invest the $6 and get a plug. To each their own!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  14. mymini40

mymini40

just wondering why you're putting a problem where no problem exists. qgain just wondering. have we run out of topics to debate or argue? this topic has been beaten to a pulp. again, just wondering. good day!

15. guitarguy69

guitarguy69 Glock'N Roll

If that's what your gun looks like with that lint, I'd hate to see what comes out of your belly button. :tongueout:

16. Cineski

Cineski

I have to admit, this and some other arguments are coming up so often it's funny. Who cares if you use one and who cares if you don't? If everyone did the exact same thing, life would be boring.

17. bentbiker

bentbiker

Pyg,
    What brand of plug is that? I can't find that plug design that comes down to fit flush with the floorplate.

18. VA_Glocker

VA_Glocker

... you should always clean the butt.... now you know why its called the "Butt".... because it can have a lot of crap in it. :rofl:

19. 23od

23od

I bought a can of that spray foam, filled the whole cavity. Now my hands are insulated and stay warm:rofl:.

Just kidding, I like my butt unplugged!

20. JBP55

JBP55

Plus 1.