close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My AA kit loves Rem GB

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Schrag4, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Schrag4

Schrag4

At my local WalMarts I can't find the 550 pack of Remington Golden Bullets anymore, now they have the 225 packs for 10 bucks. The 225 pack says "New and Improved" and I believe it. I've now gone through 2 boxes of the stuff over the last 2 outings (1 whole box per outing) and I didn't have a single failure of any kind with this stuff over all 550 rounds. I could not say the same about the 550 backs of RemGB that I've used before. I would usually get 4 or 5 duds, between 5 and 20 failures to eject and/or feed per 550 pack. It wouldn't happen ALL the time, but it was just often enough to be distracting (after every shot I would think about whether or not it would go bang again).

Anyway, if you have an AA kit and haven't been impressed with the 550 RemGB packs of the past, I recommend you pick up a new 225 pack and see if it works any better for you.

2. trekgod3

trekgod3 Quad-Glocker

I still have a partial box of the GB's in my safe I bought a few years ago. They are pure junk. Almost every round, I got hot gunpowder residue sprayed in my face and the you can literally pull the bullets out of the cases with your fingers.

3. Schrag4

Schrag4

I remember the older Rem GB being VERY loose in their cases. The new stuff isn't like that. I don't usually pay attention to claims of "New and Improved," but I really think these are considerably improved. If you're not using it in an AA kit then by all means, use something just as cheap but cleaner, such as Federal's bulk pack (that's what I feed my 10/22). But if you have an AA kit, I recommend you give the new stuff a try.

I used to reserve CCI mini-mags for when I wanted the best performance out of my AA kit (least failures) but now I have more faith in the "New and Improved" Rem GB. Even mini-mags weren't 100% but so far the new Rem GB have been, for 550 rounds at least.

4. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

The 225 packs have worked great for me as well, no issues to speak of.

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

5. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT Ex-Gunslinger

Unless there has been a huge improvement in the bulk GB they're so crappy that you can barely shoot them in a bolt action.

6. Schrag4

Schrag4

The reason I posted this in General Glocking (do you own a Glock bolt gun?) is because I'm trying to let owners of Advantage Arms kits know that I believe that quality HAS improved significantly. Again, I would use some other ammo in my 10/22 (or any other 22's I might own in the future) but AA kit owners are generally limited to RemGB and CCI mini-mags. In the past I've gotten significantly better reliability out of CCI MM but I have yet to see a failure with the new Rem GB.

7. wrencher

wrencher

Remington GB bulk packs are my go-to ammo for my G19 AA conversion kit.
    No issues at all with feeding or function. I get an occasional dud, then I get to practice failure drills!:whistling:

8. USMC03Grunt

USMC03Grunt

I guess the last GB ammo I bought was back in the early to mid 90s (during the dark days of the Klinton regieme) and I have never had any problems with them on a whole. They don't seem to work too well in my Sig 522 but that's the exception. Did they have a major down-turn in quality in later years and are now making a comeback with the 225 round packs? I guess I haven't had a need to buy any of the later lots of the 550 round bulk packs (still working on a couple 81mm mortor cans full of older bulk packs) but if the new 225 round packs are that good, I might have to try a few and see how well they work.

9. Schrag4

Schrag4

My guess is "yes" based on my limited experience. I would get at least one dude per 100 rounds fired with the 550 packs, and as has been pointed out, the bullets were VERY loose in the case. The 2 boxes of 225 that I've gone through recently didn't have either problem. I think it's still pretty dirty ammo, though, so I probably wouldn't run in through a gun that I didn't have to.

10. dudel

dudel

The bulk packs of Remington GB work great in my AA kit as well. IIRC, it's one of the recommended brands in the AA instructions. I have plenty of the 550 packs, and a few boxes of the 225 round GB packs. I normally cycle my stock, but I may have to break out a box of the new stuff and see how it does in my AA kit and also my TacSol M4 upper.

I prefer the plated over raw lead. I wish someone made a plated subsonic 22LR.

11. Monte4283

Monte4283

When I originaly purchased my AA kit the GB didn't work very well, CCI ran the best. Recently ran some GB through it and they worked great. I thought maybe that they ran better because the kit was broke in. But maybe it is that the quality has gotten better.

12. johnjasonchun

johnjasonchun 911is4victims

I probably shot over 20,000 rounds of 22LR in my AA kit.... WD-40 spray solves any feeding problems....

13. NailShooter

NailShooter

Please tell. Exactly how are you using the WD-40 to solve feed issues. Thanks.

Nail

14. johnjasonchun

johnjasonchun 911is4victims

Spray the ammo in the box or in a Plastic BAG. Shake n Bake! Like fried chicken or chicken wings!

:rofl: I'm not lying! Probably went through 40-50 bricks so far!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  15. NailShooter

NailShooter

That's what I figured you were doing. You don't have trouble with the magazines getting all sticky and icky (WD supposedly contains fish oil)? Thanks,

Nail

16. wrecks24

wrecks24

My walmart has the GB 525 packs, My Sig Mosquito and Marlin model 60 love them.

17. WebSnyper

WebSnyper

Remington GBs are all I have been running in my 2 AA kits. I also run them in my 15-22 just to keep to one brand of .22 LR ammo.

I'll have to give the 225 packs a look.

The last time I was shooting with a 550 pack I did have a case blow the rear off the case while shooting one of my AA kits. Took me a couple of minutes to realize the rest of the brass was still in the chamber. Cleared it with a cleaning rod, and shot the rest of the box without issue. I had not had that happen previously.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012