Glock Talk banner

My 4th Gen G30S

4245 13
I've been saying to anyone who would listen that I was waiting for a G4 G30s before replacing my G4 G30. Since there has been no indication of Glock bringing out this variant soon, I jumped on a new/unfired G36 slide/barrel assembly when I saw one for sale.

The G36 slide fit easily on the G4 G30 frame:

I had read there would be a considerable gap where the slide met the G4 dust cover but I don't find this objectionable at all:

Once I got to the range it functioned like it was made for the 30 frame, firing 130 rounds of three different loadings. I have read that the G30 and to a greater extent the G36 will not feed SWC ammunition and occasionally they will choke on truncated cone bullet shapes. Please don't tell my cobbled together G30S about that as 40 rounds fired were reloads topped by the H&G #68 SWC and 30 rounds were the Hornady 200g XTP, a truncated cone design. The rest were reloads using Barry's RS plated 200g. And before you object, I thoroughly cleaned the barrel after firing the lead alloy bullets before shooting the jacketed rounds.

I'm also quite pleased with the Amerigjo lime green CAP Sight set I installed:

They sure make it easy for these over the hill eyes to pick up the sights, even going as fast as my arthritic hands and shoulders can manage (LOL).

I'm very glad I didn't wait for Glock to bring out the G4 G30S. Who knows how long it will take them and I get to enjoy/carry this gun starting right now.

Dave
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Combat Diver
3,768 Posts
I did it with Gen 3 parts and it worked fine. We will see the Gen 4 G 30S when they run out of Gen 3 SF frames. I wonder if someone backed out on a contract?

· Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the G30S (have two of them) and the Gen 4 design is what made buy another G17 and finally get a G22. My Gen 3 G17 just never felt right and is the reason I never bought a G22. It's also the only Glock I've ever parted ways with. I liked the Gen 4 G17 so much that I bought a Gen 4 G22 a week or two later. So, I think I'd be all over a Gen 4 G30S like flies on a rib roast. ;)

· Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One other addition I forgot to mention in my OP was the dedicated slide lock for the 30S. I got one from Brownells when I ordered the sights. It is a little different dimensionally than the original on the G30.

Dave

· Transform & Win
3,351 Posts
Thanks for posting the details of your fascinating project.

I think the slide lock stays the same. Did you mean the unique slide stop lever w/ spring for the G30S?

From the Glock, Inc. Parts List:

30793 Slide Stop Lever & Spring – fits only the G-30S
Photo courtesy of GT Member Butch
Text Font Technology Electronic device Cable

Words written about a considerable gap where the slide meets the G4 dust cover are applicable only to compact and standard-size Glocks if a Gen3 slide is mounted on a Gen4 frame (see photo below). The G30 and other subcompact Glocks (and the G36) have always used the dual recoil spring with a wider guide ring at the muzzle end of the slide, so there is no difference in the dust cover opening between Gen3 and Gen4 in the subcompacts.

You really are lucky with the semiwadcutter (SWC) ammo feeding reliably or else the "conventional wisdom" of problems with SWC ammo in the G30 needs to be revisited for Gen4. I've never tried SWC ammo in my Gen4 G30. Maybe I'll pick up a small box sometime for an experiment.

Auto part

· Registered
7,131 Posts
I've been saying to anyone who would listen that I was waiting for a G4 G30s before replacing my G4 G30. Since there has been no indication of Glock bringing out this variant soon, I jumped on a new/unfired G36 slide/barrel assembly when I saw one for sale.

The G36 slide fit easily on the G4 G30 frame:

I had read there would be a considerable gap where the slide met the G4 dust cover but I don't find this objectionable at all:

Once I got to the range it functioned like it was made for the 30 frame, firing 130 rounds of three different loadings. I have read that the G30 and to a greater extent the G36 will not feed SWC ammunition and occasionally they will choke on truncated cone bullet shapes. Please don't tell my cobbled together G30S about that as 40 rounds fired were reloads topped by the H&G #68 SWC and 30 rounds were the Hornady 200g XTP, a truncated cone design. The rest were reloads using Barry's RS plated 200g. And before you object, I thoroughly cleaned the barrel after firing the lead alloy bullets before shooting the jacketed rounds.

I'm also quite pleased with the Amerigjo lime green CAP Sight set I installed:

They sure make it easy for these over the hill eyes to pick up the sights, even going as fast as my arthritic hands and shoulders can manage (LOL).

I'm very glad I didn't wait for Glock to bring out the G4 G30S. Who knows how long it will take them and I get to enjoy/carry this gun starting right now.

Dave
Have you had any issues with the slide not locking back on empty? The only reason I ask is with the 30S, Glock modified the normal .45/10mm slide stop lever to give the slide sufficient surface to lock up on the lever. When I tried the normal OEM 30 exteneded slide stop lever, the pistol would frequently return to battery with only the slightest touch of the back of the slide and would often not lock on empty. Did you have to do anything to account for this?

· Registered
7,131 Posts
One other addition I forgot to mention in my OP was the dedicated slide lock for the 30S. I got one from Brownells when I ordered the sights. It is a little different dimensionally than the original on the G30.

Dave
Please disregard my previous post about the slide stop. I just noticed you bought the actual one for the 30S. That is a perfect combination. The only thing that would drive me nuts is my OCD and the serial numbers not matching. I know the only one that matters is on the frame, but it would still nag at me.

· Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
will a gen4 g30 frame fit on the 30s slide? basically this will made the 30s a gen4 right.
From my experience, and others posting here on GT, the G36 and G30S slides are identical and interchangeable.

And, my bad for using the wrong term (slide lock vs slide stop). My apologies for any confusion.

Dave

· The Anti-Glock
4,397 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the G30S (have two of them) and the Gen 4 design is what made buy another G17 and finally get a G22. My Gen 3 G17 just never felt right and is the reason I never bought a G22. It's also the only Glock I've ever parted ways with. I liked the Gen 4 G17 so much that I bought a Gen 4 G22 a week or two later. So, I think I'd be all over a Gen 4 G30S like flies on a rib roast. ;)
I agree with you there. We used to be issued gen 3 G22s at work, I could never shoot very well with the grip. Once we got the gen 4s, my scores improved and I felt comfortable with the gun. Aside from my G36, I wouldn't own a gen 3 pistol again. When Glock comes out with the gen 4 30S, they'll have a sale with me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.