close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My 357 World is Upside Down

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by PghJim, Feb 12, 2010.

1. PghJim

PghJim

First, 357 sig is my caliber. I have been carrying Corbon 125 JHP's for years. They are awesome on animals and the couple times I have shot them through 4 layers of denim into gallon jugs of water they had explosive power and expanded between 0.70 and 0.80". Today a lady gave me about 30 gallon jugs so I thought I would experiment with 4 layers of denim. Well two out of the three Corbon bullets did not expand with cloth and plastic clogging the hollow point. These over penetrated as well. I then shot three 357 sig HST's and all three expanded to around 0.64" and had proper penatration. They did not have the same explosive effect as the expanding Corbon. I then shot three Buffalo Bore 125gr 357 sigs with the proper Speer Gold Dot bullet. These leave my G32 at almost 1450fps. The effect was explosive on the first jug and all three expanded to around 0.58" with proper penetration. I only have about 60 of these left and BB is not loading with the correct bullet now, nor is DT. I know these are not scientific tests.

The thing is that I have been unable to get any Corbons for a while and they start making them again this week. I have $400 worth on back order. I think I would still like them for woods carry but I am very concerned about PD. I am thinking of cutting back my order and maybe carrying the HST's for personal defense.

Any thoughts?

2. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

The HST's = the same thing in the real world. I'd go with the HST as they are A LOT cheaper. Good Luck.

3. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

gold dots work great if you can push them fast enough.

HST(Hada Shoot Twice) is a top performer for sure.

4. novaDAK

novaDAK

No problem with .357sig there, even in Speer's factory loading of 1350-1375fps.

5. N/Apower

N/Apower

I stocked up on the TX DPS load. Speer advertises 1375fps from it, and all the chronograph results I have seen from full-size pistols show that it indeed gives that or more.

It is not the reduced penetration 1350fps load.

6. unit1069

unit1069

I'd cut back on the Cor-Bon order and pick up some HST if you don't have a box or two.

You still have sixty rounds of Buffalo Bore so when it's all said and done you'll have three very good rounds.

Hey, it's .357sig. What's to worry about as long as your G-32 always fires when you pull the trigger? I don't think water jug tests compare with your experience with live animals.

7. fredj338

fredj338

I'm not sure why you need so much SD ammo. I have a couple of 100 of the 125grGD, WinT & RemGSB & that is all I am likely to need for years. I shoot vel. equiv handloads for practice. Any of those will do fine. Even the 125grXTP works fine.

8. PghJim

PghJim

I do not need that many self defense rounds, I just shoot the 357 sig a lot. For SD I have 60 BB's, 150 HST's and I was going to buy 240 Corbons. I carry the Corbons in the woods and enjoy shooting them. For practice I either reload, or buy WW white box FMJ. All in all the HST's are the cheapest, I just wish they went faster. I know it is not real world but you need to see a water jug after being hit by a 125 gr rapidly expanding HP going over 1,430 fps. It is a noticable difference than the 1360 fps HST. However, that may mean nothing in the real world of SD. I am cutting back my order of
    Corbon's to 100 rounds.

9. unit1069

unit1069

I think along the lines that fred does. I have about 200 rounds of premium JHP self-defense ammo and practice with the FMJ variety. Every second or third trip to the range I'll rapid fire the carry mag self-defense ammo to make sure it's reliable. Sometimes I'll slow fire to check accuracy. And whatever premium self-defense ammo I test I always keep a full magazine's worth just in case I might want to come back to it for some reason.

10. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

the HST does not waste its energy with a flashy explosion, it expands big and penetrates deep.

JMHO!

11. PghJim

PghJim

I am sure the HST's are good and I was glad ATG had some, or I would not have an opportunity to get any. Otherwise, I would not have that much premium ammo. The Corbon's I have on order would last me about five years. I generally shoot a magazine once a month in the summers at the range of my carry ammo.

Thanks for your thoughts.