close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My 1st Notebook - Dell XPS M1210...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by feetpiece, Sep 2, 2006.

1. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

As with most purchases I read quite a bit and was torn between the Dell and a couple of other 12" models. I setteled on the dell due to few reviews on the others and my experience with gubment Dell laptops.

So far I can find few things I dislike about it - I've edited a few photos and played Doom III or HALO and watched a few movies while surfing the net w/o a problem.

I ordered it from Dell's outlet and saved a few bucks but couldn't configure it the exactly how I wanted it. A DVD burner and HD are on my list of things to get (cheaper) from newegg....

2. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

Dell has a a bad rap these days, mainly for the indian customer support I think, but they really aren't that bad. I went to Iraq attached to division and we had 80 something dell latitude notebooks, D800s and C840s. I was impressed with how well they held up to the environment and abuse, very impressed. Happy 'lapping. -dok

3. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

It's funny you mention the Indian customer support. I called to find out the UPS tracking number and had a pretty good experience.

I totally agree with you on their durability in the sand box. I had 2 Dell laptops and a desktop I used (NIPR/SIPR) and the only problems I had were network related. The Army will take a screaming machine and make it run like a 486 with all of the big brother software running in the background. Compound that with the fact that only an admin can run disk utilities...

4. dglockster

dglockster

Now go to CompUSA or some other store and get Lo Jack ($80.00) for the software and a three-year service subscription. Install the software and it works just like Lo Jack for your car. If your laptop is stolen or otherwise goes missing, and it is ever connected to the Internet, regardless of the connection method, the company (www.absolute.com) tracks its location and helps recover the laptop. In the event, the laptop can't be recovered, you can authorize the company to erase the hard drive.

Tracking means several things. The company can generate a street map that tells the address of where the computer is located. If it is being used in dialup mode, it will tell the telephone number from which the computer is being used, and if it is being used on a network, it will tell the address the computer uses when it is online. The company also has its own security force which will work with the police department in whose jurisdiction the laptop is located to help them recover the laptop. The software provides world-wide location but some countries are more difficult to retrieve from.

One caveat: Because the company works directly with the local police to recover stolen computers, the company will only help locate computers that have been reported by the owner/users to the local police department as being stolen. Lost or otherwise misplaced computers are not part of the location agreement.

I know all of this because the organization for which I work has used the commercial version, called Computrace, for the past four years. We have over 10,000 laptops in use and using the software, we have had about a 70% recovery rate for the ones that are reported stolen. We have also found that some of our own employees reported "stolen" laptops, even to the police, when the laptops were really being used by relatives, pawned, etc. (initally employees did not know the tracking software was on the laptops).