My 14yo daughter needs an appedectomy

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by .264 magnum, Jan 19, 2010.

1. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

in the morning. She's exceptionally fit and tough. How long do you guys think the recovery will take?

2. fireguy129

fireguy129

I think my daughter was in almost a week, but she was 3 at the time. I wish your daughter a speedy recovery!!

3. g29andy

g29andy CLM

If not ruptured, she can go home the same day. If done laparoscopically, she'll likely be back in school next week, barring any complications.

4. fireguy129

fireguy129

They found my daughter was ruptured, didn't realize that made a difference. Hopefully your daughter is home in a day.

5. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

This. Exceptionally fit and tough may make her recovery twice as long if she tries to push her recovery. ;)

My daughter had this procedure too. Scary stuff for Dad, but she'll come through it like a champ and recover quickly.

Be strong Dad!

6. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Thanks guys the doc agrees with you.

7. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Hard to watch your baby being taken away for anesthesia. Prayers for ya .264.

8. RioKid

RioKid

At her age and if all goes well she should be able to return to school in a few days with light activities for a few more days. Google "appendectomy" and you will find lots of info about the procedure and recovery. I pray that it will go well for her.

9. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

I had mine when I was 19, it was retrograde (folded behind the intestines when it swells) and partially ruptured. I was in the hosptial a bit more than a week and took quite a while to get back to running and other heavy exercise because the incision was quite a bit larger than normal (to clean up all the infectious goop and prevent sepsis).

Glad they caught it before it became life threatening, another day or so and mine would have ruptured, which can kill you. Best wishes to your daughter.

10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

It's a piece of cake. Just a small cut through your belly button and a little rest and she will be fine. Really, judging by mine there was nothing to it and I was in my 60's. I'd say after a few days of taking it easy she will be able to do most any, not too physical, thing she wants to do.
    Just do what the doctor says.

But I'll tell you what not to do. Long story.

The day after my Wife went in intensive care, while at the hospital, I came down with appendicitis. They rushed me to the emergency room where they called in a doctor from home to operate on me.
    I told the doctor I wasn't going to be operated on, I was going back upstairs with my Wife.
    The doctor said, If you do you will be dead pretty quick.
    I said, Seriously?
    He said it's a good thing you are here now. As soon as I can get a operating room I'm going to operate.

About 9 PM I woke up in intensive care and a little later they took me to a regular room.
    The nurse was very nice. I told her, "I have to get back to my Wife. She is in intensive care". The nurse said, "We know about your Wife and we will get you back to Her as soon as we can". She talked with me long into the night.
    I said, "What's the plan".
    She said, "In the morning if you can keep your breakfast down and you can get dressed, we will take you down to your Wife".
    I think she knew I couldn't get dressed.

The next morning a friend came in. I told him to get my clothes. He said, "What are you up to?
    I said, "Last night, after the operation, the nurse said if I can keep my breakfast down and I can get dressed they would let me go to my Wife. Give me my clothes"

I got dressed but it was difficult and painful. My friend would not help me. He just kept shaking his head. I figured this was going to cause trouble but I had to get to my Wife.

As the week went on I felt worse and worse.
    The sixth day my Wife died.
    The morning of the seventh day I called my friends and told them I was in bad shape and needed to go to the Emergency Room.
    This time the operation and recovery was difficult, lengthly and painful.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  11. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

31 and I still have mine

:/

12. #5xbr

#5xbr

Had mine out at age 53 and was in the hospital for 3 days and back to work 5 days later. Im sure she will be fine-best wishes

13. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I'm sorry. By most accounts it is a fairly simple procedure if not ruptured. Here's to a full and speedy recovery.

14. podwich

podwich

Wow. You may not be the best patient in the world, but you made a damn good husband. You're a good man in my book.

.264: best wishes for your daughter and you. If they're scheduling it, it's not emergent. That's good. Hope all goes well.

15. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

If they do this by the scope, she will bounce back in no time.

16. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

That may be making too light of the situation. Any operation is serious and of course you are worried for your daughter.

She'll be OK.

17. Mrs. Tink

Mrs. Tink Semper Fidelis

Mine was ruptured when I lost mine at 14. I spent 6 days in the hospital and couldn't travel (fly) for 5 weeks. I also had two drainage sites in addition to the incision. Pretty gross, but it eventually healed up fine.

18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

What tattoo is she getting over the scar?

Good luck to her!

19. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello .264 magnum;

Sending prayers for you're Daughter, I hope she makes a safe & speedy recovery.

God Bless

hardeyes

20. plasticgunz

plasticgunz Swollen Member CLM

Mine burst when I was a little younger than that. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks, can't remember how long it took until I was 100% again. Best Wishes.