My 100 year old Colt 1911 has decided not to like Federal Champion ammo anymore.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by First shot, Sep 18, 2015.

1. First shot

First shot

I've had the gun since 1977. There have been times when I haven't fired it for a year. The last few years I've been running two mags through it every 2-3 months. I've always used an assortment of ammo brands, but it's always been 230 hardball. Last weekend I tried two mags of Federal Champion, which I know I've used before, and it choked about every 3rd round. The mags are fairly new by the way. Went to my local gunsmith/gun store owner and he said, before you bring it in for me to check it out, try some different ammo. I got a box of Winchester White box and said I'd give it a shot. Two mags, right out the barrel. Loaded a mag with the Federals and third one choked. By that I mean didn't eject spent cartridge and tried to feed a new one. Cleared that up, reloaded with WWB, and no problem. It's our #4 backup in the bedroom, but I want it to work, and it's a lot of fun to shoot. First shot.

2. Maine

Maine

I could be mistaken but I think the Federal Champion has been under powered recently.

3. First shot

First shot

I believe that you're right, Maine. I shoot them in my M&P 45, and sometimes I feel like they vary from box to box. First shot.

4. Maine

Maine

I used to buy them all the time about 5 years ago and never noticed much difference between other brands. I do remember reading some threads in the past couple of years about them being loaded pretty lightly though. 90% of my experience with them has been with Glocks but I'm sure more ammo sensitive guns might not like them.

5. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

Seems like they run a lot dirtier than they used to as well.

6. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Hopefully if it's "#4...", you keep it loaded with a higher quality ammo when it's in the bedroom.

7. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Seems like the Federal I've shot recently is underpowered. If you can find some thereabouts, Fiocchi makes a good inexpensive hardball round that I have never had problems with. I use Remington Golden Sabre JHP for carry in my G36 and Colt Commander.

8. First shot

First shot

WayneJesse, I've also noticed that they are dirtier than other brands. Just takes a bit more cleaning. I tried some hollow points in it once, but the 100 year old Gal didn't like them. I guess back then, they were made for hardball. Thanks to all for the replies. My gunsmith said that some guns are just plain picky. Thanks again, First shot.

9. Z71bill

Z71bill

Aluminum or brass case?

I have been shooting the aluminum cased Federal for a while now - cheaper than buying reloads - I have never had a problem.

10. First shot

First shot

Brass casing. I buy aluminum and shoot them in my M&P 45 as they're $15 for 50 at WallyMart. I tried some in the old 1911, and it didn't like them. I'm sure at some point it'll need some parts replaced, but for now it's shooting the WWB just fine. Like I first posted, I run two mags through it every couple months. It's our #4 backup weapon in the bedroom, which is our go to room. Thanks for the reply. First shot.

11. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin

Just curious, but what mags are you using?

12. First shot

First shot

One is nearly brand new, holds eight, don't remember the brand, but it came from the same local shop that I get most everything from, and I've got three older ones, hold seven, but the springs are strong. Shot three mags today of WWB just for grins, and no problems. First shot.

13. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin

I guess it could be the ammo then. I've been using the regular maroon colored box Federal ammo for years in many calibers with no problems, but they're of a different quality than the Federal Champion.

14. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

what has transpired that you need four backup weapons in your bedroom. ???? If its women screaming on your bedroom door eventually you have to get and let them out. :shakehead:

15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Don't forget to consider tuning the extractor, or changing the recoil spring, depending on what you specific issue is.

Could just be ammo, but also could be an indication that either of those 2 above things will need attention. The rest of the hundred year old gun is probably still fine :)

16. First shot

First shot

Not a thing quantico. I just like being prepared. We live in a rural area kind of back in the woods with a very long driveway. If something weird went down, it's up to us, not 911, although I'd still call them, but by the time they got here it would be over. Thanks for the interesting reply. First shot.

17. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

Great googley moogley!!

18. dukeblue91

dukeblue91

As far as the HP rounds are concerned try polishing the feed ramp.
    I have a older High Standard 1911 that had the same problem wrt feeding HP rounds but is now working because of the polished ramp.
    Good luck

19. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

I may be missing something, but why are you even worrying about a 100 yr old Colt? What POSSIBLE mix could that be in your household?

Be greatful it works at all, and let it slumber in its retirement.

20. First shot

First shot

It's fun to shoot. First shot.