My “notagun” training tool (because toddler at home).

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by -JCN-, Dec 14, 2019.

1. -JCN-

-JCN-

So my daughter is a toddler and I spend a lot of time with her. Sometimes while she is doing her thing, I’d love to be able to dry fire or work on transitions... but I don’t necessarily want her to see a lot of gun handling before she learns what not to say in general public.

“Daddy plays with guns all over the house” would get me red flagged, even if it was just an inert trainer gun.

Same thing with doing drills at the gym (another time when I get a break with the in-gym babysitting).

Since I compete mainly in Carry Optics, this is my attempt at a solution:

97728BA4-7B9C-461D-8EDF-E05DC5887960.jpeg CFFA17F6-3922-478C-9909-D88ACBED01ED.jpeg

Trigger trainer (grip angle is very CZ) and a spare FF3 mounted with double stick and mounting screws...

Hey, I’m doing what I can to spend time with my kid and still enjoy my hobbies!

When she gets a little older, I look forward to shooting with her and introducing her to the shooting sports...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    nursetim, Joshhtn, oldmick and 7 others like this.
  2. jr24

jr24

Looks good. I do my dry fire in the basement (been using iTarget pro, very nice to get a little better feedback especially when working on drawstroke) when the kids are napping.

-JCN- likes this.

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Nerf guns are your future :)

Wife was just cleaning for the holidays yesterday and found a nerf bullet under the stove. My 14 yr old and I haven't had an indoor nerf war in a couple years!

willie_pete, pgg00, AK_Stick and 2 others like this.
  4. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

Pretty Ingenious.

nursetim and -JCN- like this.
  5. V Gehts

V Gehts

My "In house trainer".

20191206_143548.jpg 20191206_143528.jpg

MAG40 Student likes this.
  6. -JCN-

-JCN-

Yes. I have one of those too. And laser bullets. And airsoft guns.

But they all look like firearms. And any teacher hearing “my Dad has guns lying around” even if they’re inert or not actually firearms... well, I don’t think that’s going to go over well when a nervous Nellie hears that.

7. V Gehts

V Gehts

Yes you could apply that...
    But...OTOH...my boys grew up around firearms,and my oldest is/has been a school teacher over 10+ years.
    Nothing in that context (student at home/family) seems to put teachers on edge.
    From the stories him and his coworkers tell, "Abuse" #1 topic,...whether physical, mental or substance, is the Most discussed topic.
    So you can relax, and not worry if your little secret gets out.

8. -JCN-

-JCN-

Yeah thanks. I’ll just take the precaution. I spend a LOT of time dry firing. To the point where I’d rather have it logged in her brain as Daddy plays with blue weights until she gets older.

9. DonD

DonD

As an aside, our son went to school when he was about 9 and said his parents drank all the time.

Our drinking consisted of an occasional glass of wine or an even less frequent beer for me. This was about 35 yrs ago and we never heard anything more of it. We did kindly educate him to what he shouldn't have said in that setting. Don

10. wild cat mccane

wild cat mccane

When I'm around my toddler/kid, I play with them.

What in the heck line of work or place do you live?

11. -JCN-

-JCN-

That’s the beauty of something like this. It facilitates multi-tasking for me. My dry fire gun stays locked up when not being actively used for practice. I do that during her naps or later at night.

But this blue thing is something that can be left on the kitchen table without breaking any laws and I can sneak in a few minutes here or there.

I’m a physician, married to a physician and we trained at the top ranked programs in the nation... multitasking and efficiency is a way of life for us and our daughter is learning that as well.

You never know when your time is up in this life. Nothing is a guarantee.

By never wasting a moment, you can live 2-3 lifetimes of experiences and have no regrets.

As I type this, I’m sitting with my daughter at the dinner table playing footsie, singing songs, eating food and strengthening my weak hand trigger finger.

xTerpx and pgg00 like this.
  12. DrewBone

DrewBone

I love it. The reality that we can never possibly be infoulable or become a victim of an accident never seems to dawn on some people, like the guy who was sunbathing in the UK when a body just happened to fall from an elevation of 3,500ft, landing just 3 feet away from him with a thud, leaving quite the impression in the sidewalk and on the sunbather:

[​IMG]

The sky is falling...

It all makes me wonder what some of you guys train with in your sleep? I could just see their hands and feet wiggling around and their lips snarling like a dorgie does while dreaming, as their old ladies are awokened in the middle of the night by them mumbling stuff like: "...no...no...stop...or...I'll...I'll...I'll shoot...nnnnot...one...more...step...[fart]...uhhh...I...I got my...my handloads...must...set...up...chrono...chronograph...[fart]...uhhh...[moan]...[Zzzzzzzzz...]" ;)

-JCN- likes this.
  13. bac1023

bac1023

That’s cool :cool:

Have fun

-JCN- likes this.
  14. John_AZ

John_AZ

My daughter sees all kinds of guns. Getting ready to go to work she sees the revolver go in my pocket, Glock go in the holster, and 870 and AR get loaded into the car.

When I’m cleaning my guns and she comes up to the table, I show her the parts, tell her what they are and how they work. After a few seconds, she goes back to her stuffed panda and xylophone.

-JCN- and Joshhtn like this.
  15. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I guess this depends on where you live. When my daughter was 6 I posted Christmas pics of her with her first rifle on Facebook. Her teacher gave the photo a like.

Nothing bad happened.

-JCN- likes this.
  16. John_AZ

John_AZ

to be fair, the “like” and “report” button are very close, especially on a cellphone

:cheers:

-JCN- likes this.
  17. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

What is the resistance like on that trigger trainer? Is it around 6 pounds like a real trigger, or is it heavier to build strength with fewer repetitions?

18. Parzival

Parzival

i'm not going to say you're wrong here because i don't believe in telling others how to raise their kids. i will say IMO you're a little misguided.

i'll start off saying that i'm a retired LEO and live in the south where firearms are in just about every home. i NEVER hid firearms from either of my 2 kids however i kept reinforcing to them they are not toys but rather tools. the learned at an early age to never touch one without asking. that being said, any time they asked to see one, i dropped what i was doing immediately and showed it to them. this took away the curiosity factor so that by the time they were well into school, firearms were something they were familiar with and respected.

YMMV

John_AZ and V Gehts like this.
  19. -JCN-

-JCN-

This one is around 8 pounds, but they have interchangeable springs of different weights.

I am appreciative that you aren’t jumping to conclusions. I definitely plan on introducing firearms to her at an early age and even have a copy of Julie Golob’s illustrated child gun safety book (where it reinforces that they are adult tools that can be dangerous).

But 2 years old is a little early, IMHO. Probably around 3-4 years old is when I plan on it.

Let me put it in a little perspective.

I shot 39,000 live fire rounds last year. The amount of gun handling and dry fire practice I am talking about is way more than a “normal” person is talking about.

So I spend a lot of time practicing and before she understands what a “sport” is, I’m being cautious.

Shooting sports is my main hobby right now and I will definitely introduce it to her. But not right now.

20. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Total thread drift here...

My son and I were having this very conversation the other day. The adult karate class he's in has five doctors in it, three are black belts and two are brown belts. Those ranks take commitment to attain, which is why there aren't very many of them and lot's of people come and go without ever getting past orange.

I speculated that the reason why the doctors were so committed was because the rigors of medical school and residency created an individual with a stronger work ethic that won't just quit when it starts getting hard.

-JCN- likes this.