Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jr Member
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get a muzzleloader for deerseason this year. I'd like to try to keep the cost down since I'm hoping to add a longer range gun for general gun season. I know about T/C, Knight, and CVA. I'd like someone to explain the pro's/cons of different brands/systems. The inline setup, 209, and that mess. I've shot them before, but its always been someone elses so I didn't have to worry about all of that mess. That and they were the old style, not the newer stuff with the sabot rounds and all of that. I'd be hunting in FL if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Welcome to the club ;) I'll start with T/C since you mention them and I have a 2 mzl'er and handgun.

T/C , been around for years. makes a reliable,affordable ( not way overly price and not cheap ), you can find parts for them in BasPro, SportAUthorirty and some walmarts.

Knight, been around for years probably one of the first inline mzl'er company iirc and some claims Mr knight was the pioneer that brought inlines into the front grounds for mzl'ers. They used to be very popular in the day but don't seem to be so now adays with some many other models out. A few models that shoots 209 primers will need the 209primer holder which could be a ***** to get.

CVA, conn valley arms. They make greater starter kits, cheap but not made cheap. I had one when I first started out in IL with mz'ler killed 1/2 dozen deer with it. Worked great never failed apart fired first shoot all of the time. Paid under $150.00 and that include cleaning supplies, #11 caps, 1 dozen or so of bullets.

Other mfgs that might be of interest, Traditions. Yes this small company produces a few great mz'ler that are affordable. Also winchester makes mzl'er and mossberg make a mzl'er bbl for their shotgun.

1st question you need to ask yourself. What do you want to hunt 45 or 50 or 54 or ????? caliber ?

45/50 are more easier to obtain supplies than 54 or 72 caliber. 50cal is then more easier to obtain than 45cal bullets/sabot/etc...... In just about every store and you do have a wider supply options for 50cal projectiles.

2nd, do you want to immediately jump to a 209 shotgun primer or try #11 percussion caps? The #11 are way cheap and depending on location easier to obtain. 209 are straight forward reliable but could a ***** to extract on some models. Both could be equally hard to load in cold weather and or with gloves on, but the #11 is very easy to start with. Stay away from musket caps due to the "fact" they are harder to find and more expensive to fire but they are just as reliable as 209primers.

3rd, you might want to find a platform that allows for either #11 or 209 ignition systems, which would allow you to experiment between the 2 ( see #2 from above )

4th, If your just getting into the field, I would suggest something cheap or even used, to get you started. You might find some good deals if you bargin at the pawnshop or review the newspaper and craiglist and forums.

5th, go out and have fun. I don't know about upper florida, but down here you can hunt mzl'er during the mzl'er season and general gun and during any parts of the WMA that don't allow centerfire rifles. My favorite WMA in Palm Beach county just restricted the back southern end from centerfire rifles due to residential areas nearby. Another hunting ground is all NON centerfire rifles so that leaves you with bow/shotgun/mzl'er/etc...

Your chances of getting a trophy buck is greater in mzl'er season next to archery.

·
Jr Member
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the club ;) I'll start with T/C since you mention them and I have a 2 mzl'er and handgun.

T/C , been around for years. makes a reliable,affordable ( not way overly price and not cheap ), you can find parts for them in BasPro, SportAUthorirty and some walmarts.

Knight, been around for years probably one of the first inline mzl'er company iirc and some claims Mr knight was the pioneer that brought inlines into the front grounds for mzl'ers. They used to be very popular in the day but don't seem to be so now adays with some many other models out. A few models that shoots 209 primers will need the 209primer holder which could be a ***** to get.

CVA, conn valley arms. They make greater starter kits, cheap but not made cheap. I had one when I first started out in IL with mz'ler killed 1/2 dozen deer with it. Worked great never failed apart fired first shoot all of the time. Paid under $150.00 and that include cleaning supplies, #11 caps, 1 dozen or so of bullets.

Other mfgs that might be of interest, Traditions. Yes this small company produces a few great mz'ler that are affordable. Also winchester makes mzl'er and mossberg make a mzl'er bbl for their shotgun.

1st question you need to ask yourself. What do you want to hunt 45 or 50 or 54 or ????? caliber ?

45/50 are more easier to obtain supplies than 54 or 72 caliber. 50cal is then more easier to obtain than 45cal bullets/sabot/etc...... In just about every store and you do have a wider supply options for 50cal projectiles.

2nd, do you want to immediately jump to a 209 shotgun primer or try #11 percussion caps? The #11 are way cheap and depending on location easier to obtain. 209 are straight forward reliable but could a ***** to extract on some models. Both could be equally hard to load in cold weather and or with gloves on, but the #11 is very easy to start with. Stay away from musket caps due to the "fact" they are harder to find and more expensive to fire but they are just as reliable as 209primers.

3rd, you might want to find a platform that allows for either #11 or 209 ignition systems, which would allow you to experiment between the 2 ( see #2 from above )

4th, If your just getting into the field, I would suggest something cheap or even used, to get you started. You might find some good deals if you bargin at the pawnshop or review the newspaper and craiglist and forums.

5th, go out and have fun. I don't know about upper florida, but down here you can hunt mzl'er during the mzl'er season and general gun and during any parts of the WMA that don't allow centerfire rifles. My favorite WMA in Palm Beach county just restricted the back southern end from centerfire rifles due to residential areas nearby. Another hunting ground is all NON centerfire rifles so that leaves you with bow/shotgun/mzl'er/etc...

Your chances of getting a trophy buck is greater in mzl'er season next to archery.
I did some more searching around and the CVA Wolf and the Knight Wolverine seemed to get good reviews. Of course T/C is good. I was planning on 50cal anyway. Bigger bucks/better chances is part of getting a muzzleloader (as well as pulling out the old bow.)

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
I have a T/C Encore. They make good to great guns. I have never heard any issues with quality, but some people have issues with trigger pull. I sent mine to have a trigger job. Now it has a 4# trigger. I also have a second barrel for shooting regular brass cartridges.

I think Knight is still a very nice option, but they are not the technoloical leader they once were.

I have owned a CVA gun. It was cheap crap. Never again.

I have seen some Traditions guns. They were very nice Hawken clones.

You may also want to look at Cabelas. Cabelas doesn't make their own guns, they buy guns with their name on them.

For caliber, Think about 45 or 50 if you want an inline. If you go traditional (like a hawken), then look at the 54. My Encore is a 50 cal. My traditional guns are in 54.

I can't reccomend anything except shotgun primers for inlines. They just work.
If you go traditional, look at other primers.

Powder
I know there are new powders out there, but I haven't seen one that worked, maybe someone else has.
I use Pyro in my Encore and black in the traditional guns.
Accurate hunting loads are usually NOT max loads, but are within 20% of max.

·
Getting older every day!
2,944 Posts
I love my Knight Disc Elite. :wavey:

I would link to it, but their site seems to be having problems. :dunno:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts